Surfing Maldives in August

Pol's picture
Pol started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Mar 2016 at 8:34am

Hi!
I’m considering, with a bunch of friends, a surf trip in the Maldives (8 days, beginning of August, Northern atolls). We consider ourselves intermediate surfers and we'd like to find nice and clean conditions to have fun and improve our surfing.
I’ve already read a lot of threads in several forums, but I’d like to ask some specific question..

-I’ve read that the waves in August could be very consistent (+ 9/10 ft). Eventually, do you know if there are some ‘sheltered spot’ in some islands? We don’t like the idea not to surf because the conditions are too heavy (though I think It’s very difficult to find one whole week of big surfing.. or am I wrong?)

-Would you suggest surf boat cruise or surf guest house on a specific island?

-Are the line ups overcrowded in that period of the year? Please be as honest as possible :-)

Any other suggestion is welcome.

Thank you!

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 2:23pm

I had my best trip to The Maldives in August. It was a good size most days up to a solid four foot, maybe a touch bigger. The crowd s were thin but it was quite a few years ago. We stayed on Lohifushi . I've been four times since and it's gotten more crowded with euros and Israelies with the latter possibly could be an issue in the water. Some boats are good value if you get a good western guide. Dave Beasley through World Surfaris is recommended.

Pol's picture
Pol's picture
Pol Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 2:33am

Anyone surfed the South Atolls in late August?
I’ve read that the waves there are consistent and the wind calm down starting from mid-August.
In particular I’ve read good things about Gaafu Dhaal Atoll.
I’m looking for a land-based solution (no boat trip this time) and was wondering pros and cons of North Atolls vs South Atolls in late August (heading in that period for a week).
Any experience to share and suggestion of places to stay?

Thanks a lot!

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Saturday, 18 Jun 2016 at 6:41am

Winds still a little dicey in southern atolls in August as far as I'm aware. You'll still get some good days but expect some not so good days with the wind also. Southern atolls are also much much bigger than the northern atolls.

Northern atolls will be perfect for you by the sounds of it in August. Just expect crowds.

Pol's picture
Pol's picture
Pol Wednesday, 22 Jun 2016 at 10:47pm

Let's explore the details. I'm evaluating a couple of land-based solutions but not yet decided which is the best one for me. I need some opinion about it.
My choice would be between Thulusdhoo and Guraidhoo. Consider that i'll be there by the end of August (peak season).
Thulusdhoo has cockes paddle distance, and chickens in the nearby. But the crowd could be a problem and also the sweel (i'm an intermediate surfer but i'm concerned that if the swell is too big, 2m+, the skill level to surf cockes it must be advanced).
Guraidhoo has riptides and gurus as nearby breaks. Here the crowd could not be a problem.. but what about waves?
Any consideration is well accepted.
Thanks guys!

ThazL's picture
ThazL's picture
ThazL Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 11:11am

Have you considered Hudhuranfushi? Lohis left out front, cap on numbers to surf it, plus (unfortunately paid) boat trips, to chickens, cokes, sultans, honkies, jail breaks and ninjas (not sure about the last one). Quite luxurious too, though I believe it to be quite expensive.

ThazL's picture
ThazL's picture
ThazL Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 11:11am

Have you considered Hudhuranfushi? Lohis left out front, cap on numbers to surf it, plus (unfortunately paid) boat trips, to chickens, cokes, sultans, honkies, jail breaks and ninjas (not sure about the last one). Quite luxurious too, though I believe it to be quite expensive.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 12:26pm

ThazL clarify it if I am incorrect but isn't exclusivity in the Maldives no more and the companies The Perfect Wave, Atoll Travel and World Surfaris now if they advertise exclusivity is done so under false pretences.

Is it also true that theres been instances where these companies try to maintain exclusivity by having guides encourage paying guests to hassle surfers visiting these breaks? If you got a group of mates Charter a boat ran by an independent operator.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 12:30pm

"The surf program at Kandooma is run by The Perfect Wave and the maximum number of Surfers is limited to 50 surfers for 2016.

To surf at Kandooma you MUST book a complete surf and accommodation package through The Perfect Wave.

If you don’t have a surfer package from The Perfect Wave, you will not be able to surf at Kandooma or take any surf transfers from the Island.

What does this mean to surfers at Kandooma?

Guaranteed Limited Surfer Numbers at the Resort!

With limited numbers at the resort, we can now guarantee that all surfers on Kandooma Island will be able to enjoy one of the best right handers in the Maldives uncrowded every day. We believe that there is no closer accommodation to take off zone in the world. You barely have to walk 30 meters from your villa to the paddle out point, and you literally lie in bed and watch the hollow and highly rippable waves peel down the point."

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 12:31pm

"Maximum 30 surfers!
Surfing at Pasta Point and the surf transfer boats are for Atoll Adventures’ clients only.

Surfers must book a complete surf and accommodation package through Atoll Travel or one of its agents."

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 12:34pm

"Surfer numbers capped

World Surfaris has initiated the capping of on-island surfer numbers to a maximum of 45 to improve the surfer package and maintain uncrowded waves at the house break 'Lohis'. Hudhuranfushi Resort is a mid-range multi-facility resort, perfect for surfing couples, honeymooners, families or the boys looking to kick back after a boat trip. There are not too many resorts in the world with a world-class wave within walking distance from your room. Lohis is widely regarded as the best left in the Maldives, not only is it super consistent and surf-able in any swell/wind/tide combination, but it is also good at any size, from 2ft to 6ft, and has multiple take off areas to spread out the guests. It’s hard to imagine a better set up so close to your room. Under the surfer management plan, you will be one of only 45 surfers with access to Lohi's left. Less people in the water will mean more waves for you, but with only 45 passes available at any one time, you must act now."

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 12:34pm

So where does this leave people who rock up at the breaks in a private boat or on a charter?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 2:47pm

I think the point is that each of the major operators in the Maldives have a private wave under their banner. Perfect wave have kandooma, world surfaris have lohis and atoll travel has pasta. So it's my feeling that each of these operators respect the privatisation on the others in order to maintain the privatisation of their own.

So if you're on a boat that isn't linked with one of those companies you might be able to surf the "privatised" waves but you'll probably still get hassled by surf guides and clients who have "paid for the right to surf uncrowded waves"

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 3:25pm

I don't know about you but if I pulled up at Kandooma, Lohis or Pasta point and it was good I really couldn't give a fuck if someone paid a premium for the right to surf uncrowded waves. So long as it wasn't breaking the law I would be quite happy to surf there.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 4:48pm

So which company are you going there with then? What I'm saying is that if you've booked a charter with one of the three major players you're not going to be taken to any of those breaks. So unfortunately no chance to be a bad ass.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 7:46pm

Who said you need to go with a major player carpet man regardless I'm not going. It is not about being a "bad ass" mate it's a matter of principle these foreign businesses are bending the rules to suit themselves.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 7:51pm

Where do you sit with it carpetman?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 18 Jul 2016 at 10:35pm

I'm firmly against. Just giving you an answer as to why things have stayed the same.

Not a lot of boats outside those tied up with the major operators. So, although I think it's inevitable that the privatization will eventually break down, there's not too many commercial operators fighting against it and so it remains the norm for the time being, at those breaks.

And there are a few companies that will surf them now but it's potential trouble for the company and clients so not necessarily worth the effort.

But all that aside we're just a bunch of foreigners giving our opinions on a bunch of foreign businesses in a foreign country without any real vested interest, except, maybe, wanting to have the opportunity to surf a couple of different waves if we ever actually decide to go there.