SUPs

VICLB's picture
VICLB started the topic in Saturday, 16 Jan 2016 at 6:44pm

Is it time to designate SUP only areas... been out at Gunna Portsea while 80% of the time they are never in the way it's the small amounts that puts the fear of god into you... nothing like a sup coming right at you test out your duck diving!

starting to think they should well in summer at least be made to surf a SUP section to keep other water users safe. This is not an attack most are good.. but some of the SUP beginners are bloody dangerous. IMO some riders should not be out in 4 foot plus open beaches, around or in the packs.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 7:19pm

I agree.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 8:52pm

The cunts should be put to the sword.

no-eye-deer's picture
no-eye-deer's picture
no-eye-deer Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 10:15pm
Blowin wrote:

The cunts should be put to the sword.

This.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 10:47pm

I don't understand the mindset of a SUP in heavy beach break waves. Surely the performance difference renders it worthless?

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 11:23pm

No sups allowed at Margs rule seems to be holding, go for it any of the reefs elsewhere (like it or not)but get told to fuck off by 1-20 guys when they try to paddle out at the point ,too dangerous with the 10ft board, 10ft leggie & paddle (and dubious skill levels generally) at a peak that moves around and catches everyone inside a bit, long pendulum to hit people with.Lots of the local guys will ride a sup occasionally too but go somewhere else. Sucks to watch adult kooks taking their sups out at learning spots with the kids ie huzzas at the bay or gnarabup are good examples, an accident waiting to happen out there . A good piece of equipment to ride b grade burgery waves that dont get surfed but if there are people surfing fuck off you dangerous kooks.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 2:36pm

They scare me. I try avoid spots where they are. I know one reason a lot of fellas ride them is their necks and shoulders have packed it in with that normal prone paddling position. I agree with thermalben, I can't understand the point of them in punchy hollow beach breaks…...

thomas11's picture
thomas11's picture
thomas11 Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 3:42pm

I have a SUP.

I use it when its flat for fitness, great for your core and shoulders/lats.
Or when its tiny its fun to catch the little rollers on points.
If there a waves that are catchable on my shorty, ill be out on that.
So i agree with the above comments, they are very dangerous as the shear size and volume of them make them pretty hard to control in larger conditions, so give credit to the guys that can handle themselves in big waves.
I fail to see the appeal when you have waves that can be ridden on a standard board.

As the family have a place down on Westernport bay, I have seen the growth of Sups around that area, especially Pt Leo up to Flinders on the bay. Some of those guys need a bit of a lesson in surf etiquette

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 5:13pm

Not going to blame them all as theres plenty who take their turn catch a few waves and know where is appropriate to take them. Then theres others generally fat baby boomers who couldn't care less about who they cut off or run over. The latter are the SUP riders who need to be told to piss off and surf their own spot and not increase the crowd and tension in the water.