Keeping secret spots secret.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Thursday, 7 Jan 2016 at 9:38am

This topic has seemed to come up a bit of late around here, i thought this was a great read.

http://www.surfermag.com/features/mikala-jones-secret-spots/#zKImyAOULxV...

Love the bit "Guys are trolling Facebook pages, Instagram, YouTube comment threads, chatroom forums, everything you can think of. If you do post an image, obviously don’t name locations, not even the general region or country. Don’t post shots that include landmarks and don’t mention anything about tides or specific swells in the caption. I think it’s best to wait until a different season entirely before posting shots from a trip to a sensitive location.”

ha ha..Guilty

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 9:38am

Consistent sets? -can you google it?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 9:46am

You can.

Usually the surrounding area has it's heavy days about once a month so the G spot is off limits I assume or only for the brave.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 10:21am

G-Love and Zen swapping double entendres - happy days!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 12:34pm
wellymon wrote:

Ok cool, no worries, don't even know where mayny is to tell the truth!

Oh and Sir Sheepio, I'm not a Brah Boy.

Or maybe that's a top secret, undisclosed, classified!...

You obviously haven't seen the Kiwi comedy called "soulmates" where the 2 kiwi hipsters say "brah" instead of bro.....
Keeep cestin' thet rod brah.... :)

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 3:36pm
zenagain wrote:

Tell us about this G spot Gaz, I'm guessing it's somewhere down south? Localized? A bit out of the way? Sheltered?

If it's the spot I'm thinking of, it used to be really bushy back in the 70's, but as times changed it's been mostly cleared. Kind of like what they've done to similar spots in Brazil. I've never actually found it, just heard about it. Sometimes I doubt it even exists.

Sorry... couldn't help myself...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 4:00pm

Well played Kaiser...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 4:00pm

Are you guys talking about grajagan?
Because that's the only g-spot I'm aware of

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 4:27pm

you'll be on ya forehand goofy

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 5:29pm

tried gooogling it, what about yahoo?

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 9 Jan 2016 at 9:32pm

You guys need the secret Ayurvedic g-spot stimulant formula . But apparently such mystical alchemy must be kept secret along with the Philosophers Stone.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 11:08am

I'm not convinced of the existence of this so mystical wonderland, " GSpot " that you speak of .
Mind you " Gary " sells it well , a young fella tosses up whether to rise to the challenge and explore .
Personally ,
I think a man is better off sticking to regions he knows far better, coming to mind and often best combined are Deserts's , One Palm , Speedies , although over doing them Kandui end in Lacerations .
Often one is better off just sticking to the massage tables in Bali . As there is no shortage of skin care products to be liberally applied , exchanges are fluidly made without too much damage to ones leather satchel and everyone ends up happier .
It's no secret , that many have beaten down this well worn path . But odds are in your favour that you'll most likely be able to pull it off .

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 12:11pm

Keeping secret spots secret! What a concept!
How then would a aspiring young hotshot or end of career pro get the coverage they so need to keep things rolling?
Classic example is some certain heavy beachbreaks in WA that not so long Taj "discovered"(not cyclone spot) even after being a "secret" photo spot for more local (but just as exposure friendly) young sponos who kept slightly more secret once they"discoverd"it but in reality had been kept under wraps and enjoyed for many many years beforehand by a number of smarter older gen surfers. These days you go there and find carloads of Brazllians and all kinds of kooks facebooking and instagramming their dials off. RIP Swampland .
Back to Mikela Jones , nice guy, great surfer but he has made a career out of being a "soulman/traveller" by exposing secret spots in Indo with his surfing pictures, hopefully he at least made some money I guess cause he sure made some spots famous and crowded. Balancing a fine line.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 12:19pm

Oh contrare' Southos , the G'us Spottus , is well documented in both Indian Ayurveda and timelss Greek Mythology of Eros, but these days is mainly practiced by the descendants of Lesbos, who claim to be the only remaining masters of said rituals. Hence the need for the secret stimuli formulae' and oft performance enhancement substii .

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 5:12pm

doesn't everyone deserve equal rights to freedom of information?

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Sunday, 10 Jan 2016 at 9:12pm

So I see that many of the learned folks of swellnet have heard of the G spot, good times.

As I respect the secret spot mantra, I can only tell you that it's unlikely to ever be photographed, is heavily sheltered so requires a very specific set of conditions if you're going to hit it, but once you've got it on you'll keep looking for the secret formula...

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 8:04am

uncle Frank tried to warn me of the dynamo hum!

Seymour Scagnetti's picture
Seymour Scagnetti's picture
Seymour Scagnetti Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 11:02am

C'mon Gary, everyone knows this epic spot doesn't exist......even if it did, I'm sure I haven't got a big enough board.
Hey Tworules, A Dynamo hum's the result of a too thick fin yeah?

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm

Fuck, haven't any of you kooks ever been squirted out of the G-Spot?

It's way down south looking towards the Don's S.o.O. Reverse Bluff.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Monday, 11 Jan 2016 at 9:08pm

its hard to learn that secrets are best kept to yourself

Hastoes's picture
Hastoes's picture
Hastoes Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 9:36am
Hastoes wrote:
thermalben wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

A lot of spots have been named lately in the SEQ forecast notes...

Like... what locations?

Ben, you quite often post some pretty god shots of a wave on the tweed coast. Im guessing you live down that way or its on your way to work. Anyway its not hard to figure out where it is. I defiantly don't consider this spot to be secret, but its not a wave that people mid week often check. I like it like that, just saying

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 12 Jan 2016 at 10:46am
Hastoes wrote:

Ben, you quite often post some pretty god shots of a wave on the tweed coast. Im guessing you live down that way or its on your way to work. Anyway its not hard to figure out where it is. I defiantly don't consider this spot to be secret, but its not a wave that people mid week often check. I like it like that, just saying

Actually, I post images from many spots on the Tweed Coast (without ever naming them), and people seem to mix up the locations from time to time too (on that note, there's a lot of photos I don't post as well).

Sure, if you've surfed here before then you'll know where they're taken, but if you haven't then you'll have no idea.

But it's kinda ironic that there's never anyone in the lineup in my pics either - I frequently surf on my own around here.

Today's photos were posted - unnamed - because as a part of my forecasting gig for the SE Qld and Northern NSW coast, I need to verify my forecasts.

Today I'm expecting to see the first few signs of a new long range E/NE swell from TC Ula, and at the moment the buoys and surfcams are showing nothing, and the dawn reports all came in tiny. These image posts are a record that at least one coastline is picking up the new swell, which will be useful for hindcast purposes this afternoon, tomorrow and at some stage in the future too (if the event ends up being significant for some reason or other).

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 20 Jan 2016 at 2:57pm

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Friday, 13 Apr 2018 at 5:58am

“I understand that people don’t want an area becoming trashed, however to find any of these spots you just need to log onto a NSW [national parks] website and look up the area (so they’re really not that secret).
I have been called words such as a brat, told I am the reason for National Parks being trashed and was even told to go back and stick my head under the water a little bit longer. Purely because I listed the name of the place that others believe should be kept a secret.”

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/instagram-blogger-madeline-zotter-abuse-s...

timcosh's picture
timcosh's picture
timcosh Friday, 13 Apr 2018 at 8:58am

I've never had secret spots just very unknown spots. Over time and effort I was able to enjoy the great benefits of uncrowded waves. Its funny how a generation of surfers forgot that simple equation. A lot of adventure has been taken out of surfing. If 3 car loads of surfers can instantly pin point the best unknown waves in an area all of a sudden you know its over. I miss the friendly nod or vibe from a few keen people, at a time when things where more simple. Once the rabbits out of the hat it's gone for good. If you travel to sensitive spots travel light. Too go quietly is a skill forgotten. Exposure of spots you surf only a few times a year will destroy what you love. Engage with you environment both in the water and on land rather than instagram or Facebook. It's mentally and physically healthier. Some secrets are worth keeping. Nothing ruins a surf like a pack mentality.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 13 Apr 2018 at 5:04pm

Poor mental health is no trivial or laughing matter , nonetheless it’s not to be used as a shield to deflect any criticism you might encounter especially if you insist on compromising that which may be close to the hearts of others.