Shark deterrent summary

ChillWinstaaan's picture
ChillWinstaaan started the topic in Sunday, 3 Jan 2016 at 4:05pm

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/innovation/shark-repellents-the-answ...

Aside from the sensationalist title an interesting summary of the available products out there.

Good to see some independent (hopefully) research coming out in 2016. Hopefully the methodology/quality stacks up. Perhaps Swellnet could run an analysis on it when they do get published?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Tuesday, 11 Jul 2017 at 9:55am

Maybe they need to tag a few of the big lady submarines and see where they're headed

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 11 Jul 2017 at 10:23am

All that shark action and there still running the grom comp at Lennox...Stupidity !

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Tuesday, 11 Jul 2017 at 12:48pm

Do you think the groms are scared of paddling out udo ? , I would be .
it could be interesting to hear what the groms say about this topic . Having been born during the "shark Hugger" era , i suppose the attitude might be different to older folk from the "kill sharks" era .

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 11 Jul 2017 at 1:02pm

There's plenty of groms paddling out at sharkier beaches not far south of their own accord.
I don't think they're scared of lennox pub with chopper and drone surveillance as well as the R.I.B and jet ski presence.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Tuesday, 11 Jul 2017 at 8:20pm

Yeah okay thanks lostdoggy .
good luck to them

russhook's picture
russhook's picture
russhook Tuesday, 11 Jul 2017 at 9:44pm

This maybe off subject and can be taken how ever , we just had a young friend back for a visit after 6 years down in Lincon and surrounds ,after gaining master dive tickets and working for a well known sharkcage tourist operator ,l was interested to hear they conducted regular tagging of the sharks and he said it was interesting that the big (older) sharks would register on the scanning receivers , but rarely if ever come in for baits again?? Beats me i imagined the opposite!! But the younger juveniles returned time after time (tagged or untagged) , the classic story comes though of doing testing for the different electronic shark deterrent devices and watch not only the baits but the shields get devoured , to the developers horror, makes you wonder if it sounds like its time to paint big black eyes on.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 12 Jul 2017 at 8:34am

don't know about that Lostdoggy, last few times I've been south of the river there's been no-one there. Not a fucking soul out.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 12 Jul 2017 at 8:44am

Haven't been over there for a while but heaps north of the river.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 12 Jul 2017 at 9:26am

safety in numbers