Kellly finally did it!

groundswell's picture
groundswell started the topic in Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 5:44am
groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 5:50am

Looks a bit different to webbers design but still great none the less.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 6:18am

That promo vid makes it look unbelievable. that I would pay money for

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 5:54pm

pretty low act, Kelly's timing in releasing the vid less than 24 hrs after ADs wins world title and pipe ,gabes wins Triple crown , he coulda waited 24 hrs ,does he really hate brazzo's that much or is his ego that big he needs to disrespect the competitive cutur of the WSL and world champions, a low life act!!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 6:29pm

Pretty good point actually.

That never occurred to me but this has overshadowed the title win and I've noticed not one comment today about that. It's all been about Kelly.

Food for thought.....

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 6:53pm

Ha ha…i actually thought this myself today…nicely played Kelly.

Very Lance burkhart of you.

wally's picture
wally's picture
wally Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 7:55pm

I don't think Slater showed any disrespect to the WSL or ADS.
10 years he has been at it. Finally, he's got the video! Do you reckon he'd be pretty excited?

He held off until Pipe was done and dusted. Waited thru the cheering, congratulated ADS, waited thru the overnight celebration parties. Following morning, a new day, released his video. He would have probably done the same if Mick won. Would that mean he hates Aussies?

No doubt, he noticed that we were in a period of peak surfing interest which was good for him. But he probably also reckoned that surfers could hold 2 thoughts at once.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 8:51pm
sharkman wrote:

pretty low act, Kelly's timing in releasing the vid less than 24 hrs after ADs wins world title and pipe ,gabes wins Triple crown , he coulda waited 24 hrs ,does he really hate brazzo's that much or is his ego that big he needs to disrespect the competitive cutur of the WSL and world champions, a low life act!!

Hey Sharkman, did you ever get around to asking Maurice Cole why he got kicked off SN?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 8:55pm

I don't think he was kicked off. I don't think anybody has been kicked off.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 9:22pm

Norchock may have got the boot, Brutus left of his own accord - disgusted with himself ..around Aug 1st or 2nd was his last post.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 9:58pm

Slaters timing has nothing to do with ADS title. If you check the Brazilian news then little impact. Given the hype at present, not a bad time to release the 'hidden' wave. Given its quality, it's impressive. Can they sell it, most likely yes in the US.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 10:26pm

With the amount of land needed, which by my estimates taken from Google Earth is 80,000 metres squared or 20 acres of relatively flat land, they're gonna be hard pressed to find anything near the major surfing centres. And if they do it'll be for top dollar and thus passed onto consumers.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 10:40pm

if he built that wave any where within a 100 kalamities of my place hed get a good chunk of my money.

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 10:54pm

Awesome..somewhere for stunet to be a hero and a local..

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 19 Dec 2015 at 11:50pm

Desouza is kryptonite to Kelly in competitions

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 5:22am
udo wrote:

Norchock may have got the boot, Brutus left of his own accord - disgusted with himself ..around Aug 1st or 2nd was his last post.

I think he really left because he should not have publicly said what he believed about you udo and your racist slant on adam goodes issue and the joke about splitting altar boys ,which was also pretty low , but he also had a bit of a run in with the SN's editorial dept over some inaccuracies about himself . I think the forums are a lot better off without him here , but he sure fires up on Beach Grit, he just let Kelly have it for his low act in releasing his wavepool 12 hrs after ADS was crowned, K never liked ADS as ,ADS always hassled the crap out of Kelly and loved beating him.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 6:20am
stunet wrote:

With the amount of land needed, which by my estimates taken from Google Earth is 80,000 metres squared or 20 acres of relatively flat land, they're gonna be hard pressed to find anything near the major surfing centres. And if they do it'll be for top dollar and thus passed onto consumers.

Las Vegas.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 6:33am

I immediately thought Dubai for location & for potential customers intensive training camps for up and coming frothing groms & their try-hard parents (every sport has them)

Ramazan's picture
Ramazan's picture
Ramazan Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 8:20am

The Middle East countries like Dubai are all cashed up but I am not sure if surfing is their thing. I stand to be corrected though. If some one in Las Vegas has got the cash it could be successful.
If these wave pools cost a bomb to build and run they are going to need plenty of cashed up customers to stick around long term after the initial hype.
So where do they put them?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 11:49am

I don't see them succeeding as a stand-alone project. I reckon they'd have to be tied in with some other attractions like a hotel/themepark complex.

There's been quite a few negative observations too and very valid. If there's such a thing as too perfect, this may be it and after a while it may become boring and repetitious. Also, how do you manage this thing? Seriously, I doubt if it will be cheap but even if it was reasonably affordable, who wants to queue up for ages? It's not as if you can paddle back out and jag a quick insider. What if you blow the take-off (and it happens to the best of us), is it back to the end of the line? Can't see the value in that.

So many variables but at the very least it's an amazing accomplishment and I still have to say they've done a really good job of creating a man made wave. I suppose we can only wait and see how it plays out.

And in retrospect, I think it is pretty rough that he chose to release the vid a day after pipe. Whatever people may think of Ads or the Brazzos in particular, it was his moment in the sun and he worked bloody hard for it. A wee bit disrespectful I say and I'm a huge Kelly fan.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 12:15pm

put the strobe on and crank the music, is it my turn?

tootr's picture
tootr's picture
tootr Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 1:53pm

Looks great and I'd love a go at it, but the $64 question is can they prove it can be commercially viable.
The fact that they have patented the wave generation bit shows clearly that they want to roll this out and make $$$
But, will it be affordable for every day punters to use? What rate the waves come thru is key. This is where Webbers circular pool may be at an advantage.

If not its just an expensive toy for Slater and his mates. Board designers will have at it too.