Surf travel in Indo

hairmick's picture
hairmick started the topic in Monday, 2 Nov 2015 at 10:46pm

I am going on a family holiday to Bali with my wife and 2 kids in May/June 2016. I have been given permission from my wife to extend my holiday for an extra week to chase waves. I am keen to get any advice on destinations in Indo outside of Bali that I could fit into a week. I could possibly stretch it to 9 days but no longer with work commitments.
I am a goofy footer of above average ability (IMHO) so keen to chase lefts and occasional rights.
Thinking land based camp or similar. Maybe sumbawa, lombok, Java or other.
I am planning to travel solo and keen to avoid massive crowds (if it's possible) . Has anyone got any advice and/or suggestions that might help me in planning a quality surf experience in my limited time? Money not a huge issue. Willing to pay a bit extra if it genuinely adds to the experience and surf quality.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 3:16am

A few options for a quick trip of a week or so-
Turtles west java, near ujung genteng, i would choose here as you can fly into jakarta then get a taxi, bemo or even bus down there for relatively cheap. its only around 6-8 hours from jakarta.
waves- ombak tujuh, big wave point with power and swell magnet, turtles, slabby shortish but quality tube..poor mans bingin with a gnarlier takeoff and end section, consistent, a few other waves and one excellent wave somewhere there that i wont name..its offshore in the tradewind so are some others.Turtles needs a light wind not trade.freeline surf travel run a camp at turtles.

Scar reef or Yoyos west sumbawa, this area can be a mission from bali even for veterans but if you can manage to hitch hike or organise all the flights, buses and bemos to get there you can be there within the next day. buy extra seats on a bus for feet room and boards. Scars is fairly consistant and world class. yoyos gets good on its day but is more of a shifty swell magnet for small days. theres a few places to stay there like rantungs which i recommend. also nomad camp around the corner at tropicals is good. gets crowded but score one or three really good waves at supersuck or scar reef, you will never forget it.

Lakey peak - central sumbawa area wont be uncrowded but will probably be a worthwhile trip, lots of places to stay and a lot of quality reefbreaks close to eachother. fly into bima airport then taxi from there or bus into lakey peak area. flights on the days you need to go might be an issue. if you ferry it it will take a long time to get there but really cheap. give overland a miss unless on a future longer trip between west and central sumbawa.

desert point pretty basic accommodation but worth going. crowded. most people take day trips or a few day trips from bali. or get a boat for a week into lombok sumbawa, which wouldnt be a bad choice for you. cheaper than mentawai boat trips.You will go to deserts, lombongan, supersuck and scar reef yoyos if they are working. these boat trips are usually 6 or 7 days.

Lomboks south coast has a lot of average to good waves and accom but if you're really looking at world class waves id go for one of the other options.

There are lots of other options but most would need a bit longer than a week to make it worthwhile, such as mentawais or sumatran coastline and islands east of sumbawa, the further you go afield the longer you need.

One option i nearly forgot is Nusa Lombongan which is close to bali however they are mostly rights, really fun rights.Also packed usually. the lefts sometimes work but i wouldnt go there expecting them to turn on. Four main waves- Shipwrecks, Lacerations ( excellent right tube but needs big swell from the right direction) playgrounds playful peak left and right, and chengigans accross the channel into another island which is the areas swell magnet left.

Indo does get flat spells especially the real legendary waves so you might get lucky you might not but the better waves you often have to wait around for sometimes for up to a month.
In that case G-land might be an option for you, probably the worlds most consistant world class point break. they do 6 day trips and youll be there in a few hours on there fast boat. Close to Bali.Epic place.

ugoinm8's picture
ugoinm8's picture
ugoinm8 Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 4:31pm

G land is the pick! Land based, quick boat ex benoa ,if you left early enough you might get there for the LAGO. It is well suited to above average goofy's and naturals. Yeeew!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 4:35pm

One word. Grajagan

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 6:09pm

G.lands probably allows you more time in the water on average . But always check forecast before making decisions if possible . Sometimes its a false god .

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 8:54pm

How so Caml?
I mean how so a false god?

I know Anthony Walsh hates it.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 3 Nov 2015 at 9:39pm

I was going to say g.land when I first read this and before ugoinm8 & goofy foot said it but didn't , then when I saw those guys pointed it out I felt compelled to say what I had originally thought . Fr76 to answer your qs .if there is a massive swell from a certain direction combined with certain tides your gunna be in the wrong place & somewhere else is totally going off . So thats what I mean . Best to be flexible & have a plan b & c . Haven't ya ever heard of g.land maxing out ? & somewhere else is best ever .hint hint

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 4 Nov 2015 at 1:18pm

Yeah. I thought you meant that. I was just checking it wasn't some kind of mystical voodoo reason.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 4 Nov 2015 at 3:02pm

How strange that Walshy doesn't rate it .