Gland march. Too early?

Henno's picture
Henno started the topic in Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm

I have yet another novice question about Gland. My work commitments have now conspired to make this a lot more doable in March. My original plan was mid april returning may.

Anybody been that early in the season? Winds sketchy? May get stuff all swell?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 10:54pm

A great time of year to go I reckon. Lower crowds, and a chance for a decent early season swell. There's a chance winds may be a little funky but on the balance the positives outweigh the negatives. Periods of low swells can occur at any time of year; conversely we can also see solid swells all year round too (most likely in the winter months, but it's not uncommon in autumn at all).

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 5:45am

I did it about 10 years ago, If you can handle a quiet holiday it's good. I stayed at bobby's with only 2 other French guys in the camp and there were 3 in Jungle camp. With so few in the camp they did not cater to well, limited food and if you like having a TV your probably not going to have that, it was pretty annoying when a few more guys eventually turned up and they turned it on.
You could surf for the first 40 minutes or so in the morning before the wind came up and the same in the evening after it dropped. Surfed it quite a few times howling onshore out of boredom. We had a couple of glassy days out of the 12 days I was there, over all if you are looking for classic surf, Na! I enjoyed it after a month of chasing waves around Bali and it was nice place to relax, quiet time.:-)

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 8:06am

Rains lots & winds shitty too . But the campsite is a lot cleaner due to start of season after monsoon rains . Slim chance of getting a score . Rain can be a nightmare when you are in a jungle u can't even walk around in thongs cos the mud is sticky & mozzies are swarming with malaria

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 8:21am

Rains lots & winds shitty too . But the campsite is a lot cleaner due to start of season after monsoon rains . Slim chance of getting a score . Rain can be a nightmare when you are in a jungle u can't even walk around in thongs cos the mud is sticky & mozzies are swarming with malaria