Indo tide charts?

Henno's picture
Henno started the topic in Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 4:39pm

I know everybody needs to make a buck but tide charts are one of those things I don't reckon you should have to pay for. Anybody know how to get tide charts for Bali/Gland for 2016 without breaking out the credit card? Trying to plan a trip round tides and moon etc.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 6:19pm

#

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 7:32pm

Go to the Bobby's website or Indo surf and lingo or Google Bali tides- though they mostly refer to Benoa Harbour

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 7:33pm

Bobbys only has this year. Indo surf n lingo want $$$

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 8:59pm

Free on Indo surf and lingo.

Only this year ?

You think the surf will be better in 2020 ?

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 9:25pm

Dunno where ya got 2020 from. I would like to know tides for next year, 2016. Can only see 2015 on Indo surf n lingo.

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Thursday, 13 Aug 2015 at 11:15pm

There are heaps of moon calendar thingys around. I've got one linked onto my Google calendar. Easy.
So that's one of your questions sorted.
Tide charts are hard to get a year in advance. I tried to get them earlier this year for the G-land trip coming up soon and had trouble so 2016: you got buckleys.
However, i read a rule of thumb to use - I'll dig it out tomorrow.

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 8:52am

Cheers mate. Ive heard the best tides are around new moon and full moon for Gland so the high tide is in the middle of the day. Then I've heard high tide is safer but low tide is when it barrels better so I'm pretty confused which tide to shop for anyway really.

The full moon there would be the same as here wouldn't it? I got a fishing app with our moon cycles on it.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 10:41am

Don't stress about tides and just go mate. You can surf it any tide. And you'll get barrelled either way. Yewww

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 12:35pm

Yep, I agree GF, go anyway. I haven't been there with mega-high/low tides or a Speedies swell so dunno what it's like then, but "normal" low tide is fine at Kongs and Moneytrees. Big Speedies apparently gets shallow at low tide, and small swell high tide is a bit fat coz you'll probably be up at Kongs. But otherwise any tide & swell is fine.

Moon phase is the same all round the world so use your fishing app.

The rule of thumb I read on the interweb (so it's in the public domain and easily found so I'm not revealing any secrets) is:
1. Biggest tides 1-2 days after full & new moon
2. High tide around noon 1-2 days after full & new moon (so low at dawn/dusk)
3. Low tides around noon mid-moons

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 3:11pm

Wouldn't Christmas island tides be accurate enough for G -land ?
Maybe + or - 40 mins ?

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 3:43pm
udo wrote:

Wouldn't Christmas island tides be accurate enough for G -land ?
Maybe + or - 40 mins ?

From memory tides propagate west to east in Indo due to the amphidromic point off WA. Christmas Island is straight(ish) south of Jakarta, so back of the beer mat calcs gives high(low) tide at G-Land being about an hour to an hour and half behind Christmas Island. There are probably some local effects that come into play too (maybe) due to the Java trench.

Easy way to check is get some tidal info for both places for concurrent times, i.e. this year or last year, and do the maths.

BTW Henno, why should tide charts be free?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 3:58pm

Cross check Christmas Is Willy weather tides with G Land MSW tides etc.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 5:17pm

One things for sure that g.land needs big high tides to handle big swell !

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 11:03pm

Camel, what you call big swell is what we mortals call good to watch and then go surf chickens!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 7:58am

Chickens is a mad wave .u must mean 20/20s . Hi tide is 10am every new or full moon guaranteed its a cycle easy to learn

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 8:41am

caml, i know there are a lot of variables, but all things considered, is G-land best wave you have surfed?
Sorry if it seems a silly question, but lots of good waves about, especially in Indo, but what do u reckon?
any of you crew can weigh in too, no arguing, but whats the best wave you have surfed?
Mine was actually a bay with rivermouth in Cyclone north of Cairns, pure perfection left and right, shit brown water, but could have been drawn by an artist- only 4 to 5 feet, but unforgettable, especially when Tiger Shark was caught twenty minutes later while we were drying off.

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 12:24pm

DP, then a bunch a close run second.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 9:43pm

Best wave, Supersuck on very west swell, then speedies and dp.

Tides on all islands are different. Indo dreaming knows more on this so might some others, Javas not that different though to Bali but Sumba for example in some areas has 4m diernal tides, Sumbawa is similar but smaller tides and deserts is strange and very different to Bali.. The ments are fairly neutral all day with Max 30 cm change from memory.
Big south swell speedies is like chopes times ten in length but you want a big high tide or you'll get very cheese grated.