how do you get melted wax out of a boardcover??

kegmule's picture
kegmule started the topic in Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 3:41pm

I stupidly left winter wax on my board during a trip to warmer waves. Surprise surprise .. the wax melted inside my cover and it was hilariously difficult to get the board out of the cover.
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to remove said wax. from the cover because I don't want to fork out another $200 plus for another cover.
CHEERS
KEGMULE

kegmule's picture
kegmule's picture
kegmule Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 3:43pm

Any advice.. tips ...ridicule gratefully accepted.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 4:10pm

Gently turn it inside out.....scrape off what wax you can with a blunt scraper, rub some ice cubes over remaining wax scrape again while cool....or heat remaining wax with hair dryer and rub over with soft ...terry towline type cloth....repeat +repeat.....Crusst probably knows a better way though ?

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 4:26pm

Same way as you reuse a condom…… turn it inside out and shake the fuck out of it!!!!!!

kegmule's picture
kegmule's picture
kegmule Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 4:53pm

Just waiting for the missus to go to work ...then it's out with the hairdryer.... Hahaha. I recon there's about two cakes of wax in there. I like being able to dig my toes into the shit ....

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 5:55pm

Turn it inside out and same way you I'd do a board, leave it in the sun scrape it off and leave it in the sun again then get some shadecloth and rub it off with that.
Or use the hairdryer and order a new one off me after you melted the thread and it falls to bits.;-)

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 6:44pm

Has anyone had any experience getting wax off car seats?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 7:54pm
ACB__ wrote:

Has anyone had any experience getting wax off car seats?

hot soapy water.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 8:07pm

damn acb...that happened to me once...although it was my old piece of shit lancer so I didn't care too much....I had quite good success by covering it with a thin piece of material (cotton I think?)...and then using a warm to hot iron on top. I my instance the wax was spread quite thinly over an area and so the problem wasn't so much one of it looking poor, but that it had dried stiff and was noticeably uncomfortable when you sat on it....the iron and cloth trick did definitely soften the material up and remove some of it.

id steer clear of chemical unless you want a permanent stink in your car....but I suppose of any chemicals the least offensive might be pure acetone from the hardware store.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 8:58pm

washing machine your seat cover . Hot water seems to remove it . Thats how I clean wax combs just pour boiling water over it .

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Thursday, 23 Jul 2015 at 9:56pm

Once bag is inside out and bulk of wax removed, lay brown paper over remaing wax and lightly iron with iron set to medium heat. The paper will absorb most of the remaing wax.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 24 Jul 2015 at 5:47am
happyasS wrote:

damn acb...that happened to me once...although it was my old piece of shit lancer so I didn't care too much....I had quite good success by covering it with a thin piece of material (cotton I think?)...and then using a warm to hot iron on top. I my instance the wax was spread quite thinly over an area and so the problem wasn't so much one of it looking poor, but that it had dried stiff and was noticeably uncomfortable when you sat on it....the iron and cloth trick did definitely soften the material up and remove some of it.

id steer clear of chemical unless you want a permanent stink in your car....but I suppose of any chemicals the least offensive might be pure acetone from the hardware store.

Hell no!! Not acetone, you'll clean the colour off vinyl and melt some fabrics, try prepsol from an auto paint store, it goes by the name of wax and grease remover at super cheap , though I think that's a watered down version. Always test first on an inconspicuous spot.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 1 Aug 2015 at 6:55pm

stick it in the sun till hot throw sand on it , scrape crap off repeat. till clean