fcs ii fin choice

cb3d's picture
cb3d started the topic in Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 11:48pm

I've got two boards now with fcs ii box's, call me a sucker but I couldn't resist the fad. Thing that is giving me the shits is that it's impossible to compare the new fins between themselves or even with the old fcs system. They have the Wilko video showing the difference between the main three fin choices (cause you know on a good day I think I can maybe pull one of the moves in that vid but that's only in my minds eye when no-one is looking) but then there are the DHD's, AM's, Stretch, FW's.... well you get my drift. Anyone know a good breakdown of the different fins available?

Also curious to know what people think about the thruster/quad combo sets, worth the investment or is it better to go for dedicated quads?

Cheers,

Charlie

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 6:33pm

//////

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 8:55am

That a vote for the hex fin udo!?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 9:16am

Charles you must comment on your own post to get on front page.

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 11:48am

A courtesy bump!? cheers mate! Doesn't seem as though there is much out there on the FCS2s...

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 12:08pm

The fins specs are all available on the FCS website but in saying that there are only minor differences. No mass difference between any of them - only mass market fins. The most creative thing they do now is a new colour.

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 12:19pm

Yeah I was thinking that might be the case. Still I was hoping for a poster like the one put together for the originals. Maybe I'll get all nerdy and make myself a spreadsheet!

Any thoughts on the 5 fin sets? Logically I'd think they're a bit of a wind up as I'd think the surface area of thruster front fins would be too big for quads.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 12:33pm

benefit with the 5 fin setup is cost Cheaper to have both thruster and quad setups as a 5 fin than buy a thruster set and a quad set

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 1:12pm

Totally, I just wonder if it's a bit of a gimmick. I've not had much experience with quads yet. Only played with using sets of thrusters which I haven't enjoy much.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 1:17pm

Why haven't you enjoyed the thrusters, what are you looking for ? Speed, Drive, looseness?

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 3:55pm

Just felt like a whole lot of drag was going on. The best was using sf4s up the front and k3s up the back. I've also got pc7s which I just think were way too big.

Hard to say what I'm looking for though, I'm kinda going through a style revolution at the moment. Just discovering how to use the back foot. For ages I've been jumping up and landing it in front of the tail pad, great for making late drops and getting down the line, shit for turns! It's been great getting right back into the whitewash and tucking into the pocket. Whole new part of the wave has been opened up for me.

As thrusters I have really enjoyed the k3s on my groveller (6"0', diamond tail) but only ever had the pc7s on my stepup (6"4' rounded pin) both around 36 liters, I should try the smaller fins on it as I feel they drag a bit. I weigh 85. Been using a mates mayhems as I smashed the k3's a few weeks ago and they seem pretty good.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 6:24pm

Quad fins dont seem to need rake . Upright are sweet

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 7:49am

At 85kg try a set of K2's if you want tight turns in the pocket, then I still think thruster I'm 93kg and like Rusty R2 both as thruster and quad depending on the board. Example my Tomo vanguard 5'8" love it as a thruster Rusty R2's but the Rusty's as a quad was too stiff, put in a set of K 2 quads and it added the speed but kept it loose.
Everyone is going to have their own opinion on fins and what works for them, so you really just have to experiment.

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 4:22pm
caml wrote:

Quad fins dont seem to need rake . Upright are sweet

This. I think a little rake in the rears doesn't hurt. Just my opinion. Easy to modify with some sandpaper.

One quad set up I'm happy with I'm using thruster fronts (TC redline) and G-XQ rears.
Different fins work with different outlines and placement and bottoms.
Flex and foils also have a huge effect. Experiment to see what you like.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 4:57pm

For sure datasha . Im not in the know with the pics weak fcs fins . Im actually talking about futures and how the best quads are upright shapes like ea quad or stretch quad

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 6:08pm

Yeah I just gotta buy some and test them out. Cheers for all the insight guys. Might give the k2 5 fin set a go.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 7:40pm

Cb3d forget all this fin stuff,im not being mean mate but you sound inexperienced? 3 types of size.small medium large.i remember the days of glass on fins and the boards went fine.been surfing for 30 years and still basically use this theory. .forget ya k2 3 4 or whatever its a fucken fcs wank.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 8:07pm

k2 3 4 or whatever......spray paint them all the same colour then test them - ?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 8:11pm

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 10:14pm
cb3d wrote:

Just felt like a whole lot of drag was going on. The best was using sf4s up the front and k3s up the back. I've also got pc7s which I just think were way too big.

Hard to say what I'm looking for though, I'm kinda going through a style revolution at the moment. Just discovering how to use the back foot. For ages I've been jumping up and landing it in front of the tail pad, great for making late drops and getting down the line, shit for turns! It's been great getting right back into the whitewash and tucking into the pocket. Whole new part of the wave has been opened up for me.

As thrusters I have really enjoyed the k3s on my groveller (6"0', diamond tail) but only ever had the pc7s on my stepup (6"4' rounded pin) both around 36 liters, I should try the smaller fins on it as I feel they drag a bit. I weigh 85. Been using a mates mayhems as I smashed the k3's a few weeks ago and they seem pretty good.

Not giving you shit mate but if you have just recently realised that you should move your foot back over the back fins or to the back of tail pad to turn then I'm guessing your not going to notice the drag or difference between different types of fins. I reckon it's just your surfing different waves each time you have different fins in and it's confusing you

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 1:51am

If your foot isn't at the back ( or upon the grip pad) then there's sumthing wrong with the rocker in the board .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 7:10pm

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 7:44pm

IMO fins belong to the dark arts.

There are so many variables making any sort of analytical discussion pointless. Knowledge is only gifted to a few. For mortals its all voodoo.

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 7:46pm

Thanks for the concern guys but yeah I can hold my own in the line up but by no means a local ripper. Just not inclined to carry on when I'm asking others for advice. Unfortunately the foot thing has just been a bad style thing. Been getting away with it for ages managing to turn mostly off the rocker. Common theme on a bunch of boards.

That being said, as I'm no ripper and not really been putting the fins to work until now I thought I'd put it out to the crowd to get thoughts. Also why I was attracted to the fcs ii system as I'd be more inclined to try a couple of sets in a session to tackle that was it the wave. Think I might invest in a five fin set and one or two other thrusters.

Off topic a bit, I notice gorilla are now releasing fcs ii compatible fins, they have a deal with fcs??

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 7:56pm

Nicely put floyd!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Sunday, 12 Jul 2015 at 2:05am

cb3d ... I'm a huge fan of more upright fins on both quads and thrusters. I also hear ya pain with trying to get a board feeling right. Before going too much further, first up, do yourself a favour and check the fin cant and toe in of the side fins - wouldn't be the first board to have had fins installed slightly "off" and hence can lead to weird feeling ... also check the centre fin is actually straight!

I'm generally around 90kg and found the old twin tab FCS K2.1 fins great as both quad and thruster - yep, I got the 5 fin pack. More recently I've been converted to the Asher Pacey AP02 dual tab fins from Shapers Fins. Similar upright profile to the K2.1's but a tad more base (think drive) and a slightly different flex profile (think responsiveness) - you can get the AP02 in a 5 fin back too ;)

I surf beach breaks 95% of the time, and points when the swells too big, or wind unfavourable for, the beachies ...

surfboardsale's picture
surfboardsale's picture
surfboardsale Saturday, 15 Jul 2017 at 7:33pm

We do not pay our sponsored surfers to ride our Surfboard Fins. They ride them as they are the Best FCS and Future Compatible Fins on the market. Check our sale tab on the website www.surfeclipse.com.au

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 15 Jul 2017 at 9:00pm

Hope the quality has improved.....last ones i bought from you were Shit !

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 15 Jul 2017 at 9:15pm

Udo ...you're my favourite poster on Swellnet .

Fucking enigma.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 15 Jul 2017 at 9:18pm

Spamming the fcs ii thread and you don't offer fcs ii .

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Sunday, 16 Jul 2017 at 3:39pm

Udo i told you so LoL
Even the most expensive fins systems on the market are borderline quality . Its a bit like legropes too ,
Who cares how cheap the leggy is ?
Its fake catshit , and so are cheap plastic replica fake fin products .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 16 Jul 2017 at 3:43pm

Farrelly ones look the go ..solid glass and good price.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 17 Jul 2017 at 10:02pm

Yes reports of the good value have spread far n wide . In the past have
found good deals by asking futures, or c-drive . Thats always a good trick to find who is the rep in your state then ask them how to get a few of their finest .

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Monday, 17 Jul 2017 at 10:30pm

True ames and greg griffins fins are good aren't they udo .
i would try get a greenough fin if i was getting a new fin .
Thats if, for some reason i was riding a single fin ? (dont as far as i can remember)
Already have an awesome singley fin that've had for years .
It was a windsurfers fin originally its made of g-10 , Magic fin .

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Tuesday, 18 Jul 2017 at 12:06am

True Ames don't have a truly big fin in Thruster sets. Also by the time you get them here not worth it. Farrelly much better quality, and also some genuinely big fins, 3 fin set available.

Rainbow used to be good solid glass, but have changed a lot over the years. No go now.

I was lucky enough to surf with, and spend a few days with Farrelly, thanks to punk. Around 40 years ago now. He's often thought of in mal/long board era. I saw him surf a shortboard. Insane ripper. Magnificent board too. Incredible craftsmanship and finish. He liked his beer.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Tuesday, 18 Jul 2017 at 5:29pm

Ryans Rabbits foots
Save on fins if you hate having to buy them

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 24 Jul 2017 at 12:21pm

Surfbunker have a good article on WaterMark surfboard fins .

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Wednesday, 26 Jul 2017 at 1:53pm

I've got a set of medium size C-Fins that I use on a thruster and would like to try them on a quad. Does anyone know where I can buy some C-Drive rear quad fins, or a temple to make some. The website seems to have closed down, and when I last contacted them they didn't have any.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 26 Jul 2017 at 2:42pm

Swaylocks - in the for sale / accessories had a set of quads $60US including shipping in the US
was some time ago i saw them....$ a bit better at the moment so could be worth looking at..10 days snail mail approx-
MC where can this man get a Quad set from ?
Edit: just checked his insta...yew --C-drives for futures now available--

Troy Clutton your man message via instagram

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Wednesday, 26 Jul 2017 at 8:15pm

Troy sent us some rear quads in c-drive, fcs1 tabs . Not for sale normally though

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Wednesday, 26 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm

Thanks I will try and contact Troy

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Wednesday, 26 Jul 2017 at 9:12pm

Thanks I will try and contact Troy