Post-baby Surfing

simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife started the topic in Tuesday, 30 Jun 2015 at 9:37pm

Thought I'd throw this out there for those of you that have wives that surf, and of course to any surfing women who are on the forums. We've recently had our first child and my wife has been getting back in the water after about 10 months out. She surfs well (have watched her safely deposited in a Bankvaults barrel at 5ft) and has been pretty fearless about her surfing over the last 5 years.

However, now that she has lost heaps of conditioning (mostly core and some paddle fitness) she is almost back to basics. She is missing waves from lacking judgement (ie basing her wave selection on the paddle strength she used to be able to generate), and finding that self preservation is kicking in pretty hard, which seems to be affecting her confidence.

Are there any women out there who have had kids and gotten back into surfing? I'd be keen to hear what sort of time frame it was before you felt comfortable and competent again. Are there any exercises you found helpful in getting strength and stability back? Did you have similar experiences with losing your mojo...? etc...

Love to see her back to her best. Not too soon though. My surf time has decreased, but I'm not ready for it to be halved...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 7:31am

Bump it onto the homepage...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 8:13am

Baby-bump it onto the homepage;)

simplefinsinlife Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 9:42am

How do I bump it to the homepage? Excuse my ignorance. Sometimes these things defetus...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 9:47am

Comment on your own post a
will do it ........

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 10:09am

It's a bug (bub?) in the system. For some reason posts won't appear on the homepage - where they'll attract attention - unless they have a reply. As Udo says, just typing a full stop will do it.

If Freeride calls by he might have some answers, I know his wife surfs.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 12:31pm

developing a beer gut would be a milder yet similar condition wouldnt it?

simplefinsinlife Wednesday, 1 Jul 2015 at 3:00pm

Got it, cheers guys... Kinda I guess, Groundswell. If it was a beer gut that could eject more or less everything that made it up over the course of a few hours. Not sure I'd want to spend 20 odd years with the contents though...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 3 Jul 2015 at 11:48am

Well I'm a male and can't say much about the exact part of post pregnancy surf fitness but I have had a few stints away from surfing and getting unfit.

I suggest her riding a mal for a while or a boaty low rockered fish etc.
She might not be ripping turns like before but she will get fit and stay out longer in the water. It doesnt take long to get the core fitness and confidence back.

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Friday, 3 Jul 2015 at 12:37pm

You could try contact Chelsea Hedges through the Surfing Australia HPC at Casuarina, she does some coaching through there (I think) and she has had three kids and still rips.

simplefinsinlife Tuesday, 7 Jul 2015 at 8:58pm

Cheers s-staines, I'm headed there pretty soon so I'll hit her up if she's around. Missus might be keen for some coaching from her too...

Groundswell, I reckon that's not a bad call. Get some paddle fitness in on a high volume board that is going to be forgiving on the take-off, where she is most likely to need it at the moment.