INDO BODY RASHES

natho's picture
natho started the topic in Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 7:51am

Been to indo many times (but has been 4 years since my last trip). Want to get some insight on the latest rash technologies over the last 4 years. I usually wear a toob shirt and treat rashes with bepanthem nappy rash cream and bike shorts under the boardies. But warm water and 8 hours of paddling theres always going to be bleeding nipples.

I look at the pros in fiji currently and usually see what looks like a 0.5 or 1mm wetsuit top under their competitors rashy. Do they use these just for competition for wind chill? I understand different skin types and amount of surfing will harden the skin etc. Underarm hair is meant t lubricate, but i get smashed

Any suggestions on what works best currently? any preparation ( i also need something for the torso for sun and reef protection for my multiple drillings).

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 15 Jun 2015 at 8:51am

Underarm hair is meant to lubricate..........Medina thinks differently.
That nappy rash cream is good shit, Anusol is good to.....im serious !

natho's picture
natho's picture
natho Wednesday, 17 Jun 2015 at 1:03pm

Its great when creams have more than one use. I think friction rashes are inevitable, I just need to buy a long sleeve 0.5-1mm wettie top, apply anusol and suck it up. Thanks for the info udo.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 17 Jun 2015 at 10:33pm

Yeah fellas been to indo heaps too...the rashes i get are different.probably should were a rubber when rooting poppies 2 street whores.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Thursday, 18 Jun 2015 at 9:05am

My rash fix...

Underarm / ball sack paddle rash...slap on paw paw ointment liberally. Keep a tube in ya boardies pocket for top ups during those long surf sessions.

For board rash i wear a 1mm long sleeve wettie top.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 18 Jun 2015 at 9:57am

"surfers rash??? You mean Paddle kisses?" ;p

mr-roo's picture
mr-roo's picture
mr-roo Wednesday, 24 Jun 2015 at 10:54pm

Heading out on a boat trip in a couple of months. Just wondering if people bother getting vaccinations for their trip. I haven't previously but am considering DPT? and Hep A.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Thursday, 25 Jun 2015 at 6:49am

I know most peoples attitude would be I am going to be in a boat (bubble) out on the ocean so am safe from most things cept drowning, but expect the unexpected, could save years of heartache.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Thursday, 25 Jun 2015 at 7:50am

I wear lycra bike shorts under my boardies and a rash vest with some neoprene patches sewn into protect my ribs and use Vaseline under arms and on the chest as well. Without that I would have raw patches within a day or two and holes not long after.

I have some nice scars from past rashes. I usually wear a wetsuit at home so my skin is just not used to the wear and tear. I am still a but mystified how people surf with just boardies in QLD and Indo without getting all sorts of rash trouble.

Last trip to QLD I ended up with raw patches around my ankle from the constant pulling of the legrope during wipeouts - the inside of the strap was quite rough with no neoprene padding - so that is another one to look out for.

If you go on a trip to Indo and surf 6 to 8 hours a day and don't watch out for wear and tear you can have holes in 3 days and be open to infections soon after Plus they hurt.

Those pros must have skin like leather

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 25 Jun 2015 at 7:58am

Froggy , how many wipeouts do you have to have get a rash from your legrope ?
ive never seen a leggie with no neoprene padding.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 25 Jun 2015 at 9:06am

Vetigel. It wont be long and we will all be carrying Vetigel in our medical kits : Interesting Eng.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 25 Jun 2015 at 1:41pm

Uuummm some peoples skin is just so sensitive.
Rolling in mud and cow shit helps people with sensitive skin ten fold.

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Friday, 26 Jun 2015 at 9:07pm

Udo, I was surfing the inside section at Greenmount for a week - super fast 3- 4 ft with lots of waves ending in a closeout tube or pull through, so the old leggie was yanked a lot. I have not had a leggie problem like that since the 70s when the crappy old ones made sea ulcers of my right foot that were so bad I ended up wearing my leggie on the left foot and ended up with one on there too one summer. I think my current one is an O&E so it is a surprising design flaw. Never a problem with a full length wettie at home for protection or reef booties in Indo - just the QLD trip