Aerials

surfdan's picture
surfdan started the topic in Monday, 28 Oct 2013 at 3:25pm

HOW TO DO

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 7:52am

I guess just google or you tube it.

As a grommet i use to get amped on vids of Christian fletcher and Matt Archibald then go out and try them, i use to be able to get air and even pulled the one in maybe twenty five but they where never very big and basically flukes, the problem i normally had was keeping my board close to me or under me, surfing into a light cross onshore helps and off course grabbing board, but always found it harder to get air if trying to board grab.

Last indo trip i ended up surfing with just me and three pros and they were going ballistic getting airs of all types every single wave, and doing it at ease, it was crazy, i tried a few and actually got air but still had the same problem :(

So can anyone do them?....how do i keep that board close or under me?

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Tuesday, 29 Oct 2013 at 9:34pm

I have no hope of getting air as I'm only 90+kg and 190cm but if it ever happens I'm sure swellnet will be putting up a new type of swell forecast - or maybe instead of wave of the day biggest splash of the day.
As for doing aerials practise make perfect.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 2:15pm

Watching good ripper groms imo is best, groms at a fave wedge beach punch at least one or two every good wave.

Light short epoxy boards help a lot.

I have only ever done them on wedges or back in the bodyboarding days was pretty easy of coarse, on a shortboard getting the board a bit on its its side works ok through the air spreading feet a bit spreading front towards nose a little and back foot towards tail kick a bit seems to work. same thing with snowball drop in or pinch sections, you know kind of tense your feet into the wax but relaxed upper body and stay low.
Never tried to grab rail though that would be best. those many types of grab rail airs they do in comps are a lot harder than they look.

Practice skating too. Bowl skating.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 6:00pm

Yeah totally agree

Light short epoxy boards.

Wedges are best like straddie/d-bah style when your taking off on one peak and another wedge is coming back at you even if one foot. (even better going into a slight on-crossshore, to help hold your board under you)

And yes wide stance helps front foot forward a bit (same with 360 spins as tricky as i can get)

And skating especially ramps and bowls helps, hence why i cant do them because i never could do anything more than tiny grinds at best on ramps or bowls, but generally the guys i know who can do airs could also get air on ramps, some guys just suck, good at everything.