Surfing videos/movies

ColinT's picture
ColinT started the topic in Friday, 1 May 2015 at 8:58pm

As the years roll by I have seen MY film and video footage used illegally on websites and in television clips with no credit ever being acknowledged. Although others have made false claims I have financed and produced THREE surfing flicks.
"ECSTASY" in 1971, "ALL TIME BELLS" in 1981 and "THE LEGEND OF BELLS" in 1982. These feature length surfing flicks will be re-released in the near future. As the only person at Bells Beach in 1981 with professional video equipment I was lucky enough to capture all of the action in the giant surf that year and the end result was "ALL TIME BELLS" which is still sought after and talked about today.
In the mid 1960s when I was active in the ASA (Australian Surfriders Association) I came up with the idea of a "Bell" as a trophy for the contest and I went into Flinders St to a shipwright and bought the FIRST three bronze bells. Rod Brooks who was a carpenter provided the timber stands for the trophies and that is exactly how the "BELL" trophy came into being and it has been duplicated ever since.
ColinT

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 6:34am

Tim Bonython was at Bells in 1981, and filmed the proceedings (although I'm unsure if he had 'professional video equipment' at the time).

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 8:09am

Is that your footage used in Storm Riders then Colin? Nice. Would love to see All Time Bells when it comes out.

There's also a history of the Bells trophy in a recent Surfers Journal issue, can't remeber which one but it was written by Andrew Lewis. Have to look it up now.

ColinT's picture
ColinT's picture
ColinT Saturday, 2 May 2015 at 12:54pm

Answer to two questions. I don't think any of my footage was used in Storm Riders. I also understand Tim Bonython used an 8mm camera in 1981 and called his roadshow All Time Bells after the release of my video.
Each day after the 1981 contest uncut footage was shown that evening at the Torquay Hotel. The finished edited tape was released within weeks on VHS and Beracord which were the formats at the time.
ColinT

surfadudezz's picture
surfadudezz's picture
surfadudezz Friday, 22 May 2015 at 11:15am

how do u post pix up here like i don't want put like a long a$$ url there cuz it looks like so ugly nd like giberish braw, what do u think i should do. Like i want the pic to come up on the page not think link, is that possible?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Aug 2017 at 7:31pm

The new Snake Tales vid from the US open

It's a modern day Sarges. Set in waves ranging from fun to shit to worse than shit , the Quik WQS A team show how to rip regardless of conditions.

Griffin Colapinto is going to get through a few heats at Snapper next year. Fella goes crazy.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Sunday, 17 Sep 2017 at 10:02am

Captain Goodvibes (Pig of Steel) Today @ Currumbin Alley
Swell Sculpture Festival (Exhibit no.4 ) Sun 17 Sept.2017... last Day.
(3.2m high) Sculpture by Joe Stark.(and yes! Includes stick & king size Scoob)

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 20 Nov 2017 at 10:05am

Swellnets Forum's contributor's annual Indo boat trip movie.Which one is you again Blowin?couple of great wave's of Indo Dreaming too.Sorry couldn't make it this one maybe next one.