G-land

eel's picture
eel started the topic in Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 7:49am

Hey all,

Thinking of spending a few days in July at G-land. I went to Bobby's back in 2002 but obviously the camps change. My mrs will be with me (hence why I'm only staying a few nights). Bobbys use to be the best. Which camp is the best these days? Bobby's or Joyo's? Anyone been recently? I've heard Bobbys has gone downhill...Any truth to that?

Cheers

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 2:39pm

Yes I hear the same thing about bobbies.food complaints by a few friends that were also a bit too nit picky when staying at joyos.

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 12:24pm

Joyos is full of brazzos! I didn't get a good feel about it the last 2 times I wandered through to have a look.

I went with the missus to Bobbys a few years ago and thought it was good, and she loved it. We stayed in the top-level cabins (whatever they're called) and they were good - not 5-start luxury, a bit rustic, mice ate our soap! but it matched our expectations and was part of the experience. I couldn't complain about the food, or anything really. I can't say whether it's better or worse than 13 years ago.

My last trip was by myself to Raymonds. Loved it! It's a step down in standard from Bobby's but I thought it was a much better experience. Food was great, staff v.friendly and helpful, and best location. If your missus loves a bit of comfort then it may not suit her. My room had a hole in the floor and the shower was really just a trickle, but I didn't worry too much. The other showers outside, shared between cabins, had good flow so I often used them for a rinse off after a surf or walk.

The boat trip back is not fun, regardless of which camp you go to. Bobbys boat has a toilet, but Raymonds didn't (something that the ladies oftem seem to need frequently). It's 2-3 hrs of crashing into heavy chop.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 12:50pm

Legends crip and groundswell. Thanks for the info...Leaning towards Bobbys

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 4:21pm

Can you let us know how you go Eel? I am considering my first pilgrimage to Gland next season and intend to take the missus and 5 year old for a week which is why I was leaning towards Bobbys. I may get to Java a week before I am booked and hang down at Red Island and do a few day trips while wifey gets some beginners waves and enjoys the pool.

gibbsy's picture
gibbsy's picture
gibbsy Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 4:42pm

Joyos has free yoga... great for the missus, and the staff just froth over kids, so your grom will be more than looked after. All you can eat breakfast is a big plus too. (disclaimer- I teach the yoga there part of the season, but my opinions are based on feedback from guests)

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 4:47pm

What about the above comment regarding the high Brazo count At Joyos Gibbsy? The night life their noisey? I know this will depend on the percentages of fuckwits at any given time though. Just always thought Joyos was the party place and need to get the little bloke to sleep, like every night.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:01pm

What are the crowds like this year Gibbsy?

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:04pm

He's probably busy doing a downward dog!

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:27pm

Hey mate, I was tossing up between G-land and CLoudbreak and ended up going to Fiji in July. Was there when the century swell indo storm made its way under Oz and sent shitloads of swell to the cloudbreak area (See surfline's recent Fiji - cloudbreak video). Spent a week on malalo island and had had pumping waves the whole time at Cloudbreak, Restaurants, Namotu lefts and Tavi rights. Wilkes was also good a couple of days but didnt surf it. Ive done indo/bali many times and mentawai's last year and this was better. Sorry I can;t give any recent G-land info, the last time I went was 2002.

gibbsy's picture
gibbsy's picture
gibbsy Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:32pm

Have heard june was really uncrowded, july not too bad. Usually august early sept are the busiest months. It goes in and out of the crowd radar. As far as i know, its outta the loop this year. Not there myself til september.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:32pm

Henno, I advise you not to stay at Red Island Surf Camp, its a complete joke and you will be disappointed

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:39pm

but that's not to say Pulau Merah is not worth visiting

gibbsy's picture
gibbsy's picture
gibbsy Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:39pm

Theres brazzos, but no more than bobbys. On the whole, pretty nice crew, but they do have a habit of all surfing together, which is annoying, but means empty surf in between their go outs. The camps are all a little more spread out than they were, so easy to be safely removed from any shenanigan related noise, and the staff are happy to look after families to keep em away from that. Most partying is pretty low key, can barely remember the last all in camp fiesta, but it was down the beach, not in the camp.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 5:40pm
seaslug wrote:

Henno, I advise you not to stay at Red Island Surf Camp, its a complete joke and you will be disappointed

I haven't been to Red Island but a chick i know who is an absolute beginner has stayed there a couple of times with her beginner friends and she loves it. I'm guessing the waves are rubbish

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 7:35pm

Hey Seaslug. I have heard the surf is ordinary so am prepared for that. Is the resort and accommodation rubbish as well though?

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 8:48pm

Pulau Merah is nice enough and worth a visit. The surf is average but I'm sure it has it's day. However Red Island Surf Camp, no way would I recommend that to anyone. EPIC meals, I've had a dog's breakfast that is better. Room's, now don't get me started. Better of in a home stay mate.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 11:28pm

I can attent that the surf at Red Island is only worth it if there is nobody else there. It's a novelty that wears off as soon as there is more than 5 people in the water. Beautiful scenery makes it worth it, but don't let anybody convince you it's quality surf.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 12 Aug 2015 at 11:51pm

Closeout beachie, meanwhile g.lands on

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 7:46am

Just an update on Bobbys: it has gone downhill badly!
No maintenance being done so lots of things breaking.
We had no power every arvo from about 2 till 5 (it always came back on between 4:45 - 5:00!) and some days no power for most of the day. They said the generator was having problems, but obviously not too worried about fixing it, or maybe just cutting costs by turning it off in peak time?
Little organisation. Previously we were given a full welcome on arrival, explaining how things work etc. This time there was nothing. Luckily we knew the place & procedures, but bad luck for the ones who hadn't been there before. Michael (the camp guide/liason) was in Bali at that time, but there should have been someone else to do that work when he's not there.
Just generally disappointing. Everyone said they were disappointed and probably would not go back there, and that Joyos looked far better.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 9:11am

Why do you need power during the day at Gland? Go surfing

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 9:30am

Was wondering the same thing. Appreciate the heads up about the maintenance etc.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 9:42am

Same as it ever was then

Henno's picture
Henno's picture
Henno Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 11:56am

A mate bumped into some unhappy campers up at Medewi a few weeks back. I haven't heard the whole story but now am wondering if they were at Bobbys.
Very good to know as I was leaning towards Bobbys as Joyos have not answered any emails and have given up stopped replying via their facebook. Do most guys pick up the phone when booking? Completely understand if they are just a bit shy about their English.
As I am thinkin about taking the missus it would be good to have regular power so she can charge the little blokes ipads etc.

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Wednesday, 9 Sep 2015 at 1:07pm
mikehunt207 wrote:

Why do you need power during the day at Gland? Go surfing

Fair enough, but 2 points:
1. I can't surf from 10:00am to 5:00pm straight! Yeah, I know, man up and all that!
2. My wife was there too, and she don't surf.
One other issue with no power: we got upgraded to one of the new flash 2-storey "cabins" when the camp filled up in the last swell start of Sept. Looks fancy, but some pecadillos incuding no water if no power.

Henno, if (when?) I go back, I'll go to Raymonds. If my wife & i go back, we'll go to Joyos.

I've always booked etc via email. You might get a great discount if you just drop into the office in Bali (I assume the other camps have an office). Baliwaves gives 15% discount if you book thru them.