I keep pulling out of waves

ThazL's picture
ThazL started the topic in Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 7:07am

Even in small surf, I keep sitting back on my board instead of catching the wave. I think I am scared of wiping out but I shouldn't be as it is only small surf. I really need to find a way of combatting this.

Thanks

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:05am

Sounds like you're leaning back, a lot of things in surfing are counterintuitive. Lean forward and commit, the lean more onto the inside rail but slide back foot down through a drop to level out board, prevent a nose dive.
Sounds like you haven't built up confidence yet which will take a while in early stage learning.
Sometimes it will take a few waves to get confident even for into/advanced surfers on a new board type of thing.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:29am

Committing 100% is the best way to progress. Who knows, you might just surprise yourself.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 12:27pm

Take tha drop!!!!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 3:27pm

You sure do . Sharks are less likely to eat you whilst riding the wave than loitering around beyond the break

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 3:30pm

What

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 5:37pm

what Groundswell said - practice in small waves that you feel really comfortable in, paddle hard, give it an extra stroke when you think you've caught the wave and lean into the wave when you take off, rather than standing up straight, crouch down with your weight (initially) over your front foot. work on that and then slowly work your way into waves that are more challenging ie: steeper & bigger. have fun!

ThazL's picture
ThazL's picture
ThazL Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 6:32pm

Thanks so much for all your help, I will take into account all your advice, and I'll just go hard for every wave that comes at me

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 6:56pm

Yeah yocal is onto it..... Also, alot of beginners lay too far back on the board.... If the nose of your board is sticking up out of the water, you are too far back.... You want the nose of the board JUST on the waterline or above, and as you paddle faster, it'll slightly lift up....

And don't let the wave hunt you......You hunt the wave...

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 10:22pm

I keep pulling into waves .

Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green's picture
Eugene Green Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:05pm

Unless you are under 12 years old I dare say surfing may not be the activity for you. Try something else or go back to what you were doing before surfing became trendy. You will be much happier. But if you must: don't surf any "surfspots", stay away from pointbreaks and reefs and any where there are other surfers with more skill than yourself. Go to a long stretch of beach with nobody around you. Paddle for everything that comes your way. Don't wear a legrope. Stay out for at least 2 hours. Do this EVERY day. Repeat repeat repeat for years and years and years.

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:19pm

i dont think u r really real thazl.i think somebody likes to make up kooky scenarios and watch every1 give abuse or advice..every week there's some surfer asking how to?and now thazl!if you're really scared to take a small wave i dont think u'd have the guts to get on a surfing website annunciating it!u would hide ur fear sweep it under the rugg and pretend ur brave like what i do!matrix conspiracy theory folks

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 11:38pm

Thazl might need a floatation vest to come up from those long hold downs quicker & that will help the confidence on those drops

ThazL's picture
ThazL's picture
ThazL Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 8:43am

I'm 13 and when the waves are smaller I catch almost everyone, it's just more than 3ft is nerve wracking for me. By the way I surf about three times a week and have done so for about 5 months

troppo dichotomy Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 11:31am

ok thazl,just had to check on ya.good on u m8!keep on surfing n u will be safe as there are many older surfers that will be the first to help if u ever have any troubles.beautiful waves are in your future and remember one day you will be charging while i'll be out there pulling back.the future is yours and take it easy and enjoy urself son

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 1:17pm

All picking on a 13 yo..... Hope ya proud of yaselves...... ;p

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 1:35pm

Was waiting for that comment from you Sheepio.
Poor little wee Fuzal, he'll be alright character building to say the least.
He's got some great tips here.

"enjoy urself son" ;)

ukwaterman's picture
ukwaterman's picture
ukwaterman Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 9:27pm

falling of is some of the best advice i could have got how to wipe out correctly is almost just as important as how to stand correctly, the more you go over the falls and learn how to deal with it the more you learn to be in the wright place or popping up earlier and standing as the falls come over,

its easy to say just go for it but really it dose not matter the outcome it well make you better

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Friday, 10 Apr 2015 at 9:28pm

Sorry grommat

rustyoldsurfer's picture
rustyoldsurfer's picture
rustyoldsurfer Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 4:11pm

Take a few good drops on a boogie board, at least u should be able to get comfortable with that. The standing up bit can be tricky. Watch Lord Slater. He paddles, arches his back, hands on rails and glides for a bit then jumps to his feet. A short board will compress the time you need to stand up, a mini mal or longer board will let u glide in (hopefully) for a longer time to set your self up. Unless u r learning to surf at Teahupoo!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 5:40pm