New Shark Repellant Idea

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 1:05pm
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 1:06pm

...but why you would announce it to the media before you have any data at all I don't understand.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 1:13pm

Sounds like the WA government wanted a bit of Positive PR

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 1:48pm

$295k to research the old 'retarded shark' theory, now there's money well spent

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 2:07pm

Why waste all this research money on lights, when painting the board different patterns is doing effectively the same thing..

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 3:25pm

I wonder if someones been eating a lot of fish if that comes into play,sounds weird but maybe not when you think about it.I was paddling around in front of this filthy brown river mouth in bali recently and i dont know why but i realized that my shiny silver watch probably wasnt a good thing to wear seeing as 3 people have been attacked there over the years most bitten on the arm......maybe they need to do a study on what attack victims that have survived were wearing as in jewellery and what they had been eating etc thinking more out of the box.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 3:30pm

I also worry about the fish eating scenario. It's one reason I didn't eat much of it until a few years ago. Now love the stuff though, but have a conscious back thought about the oils coming out my skin and being picked up by a shark.

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 3:31pm

Thought of this simba also with the Japanese guy at ballina recently .

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 4:04pm
simba wrote:

I wonder if someones been eating a lot of fish if that comes into play,sounds weird but maybe not when you think about it.I was paddling around in front of this filthy brown river mouth in bali recently and i dont know why but i realized that my shiny silver watch probably wasnt a good thing to wear seeing as 3 people have been attacked there over the years most bitten on the arm......maybe they need to do a study on what attack victims that have survived were wearing as in jewellery and what they had been eating etc thinking more out of the box.

Balian? Was there in December 2013, small Bull sharks jumping in the line-up on my last day, water was mud.
Wouldn't wear anything shiny, particularly a watch, regular flashing while paddling looks like baitfish. Lesson learned with anchoring boats in a current and motor in neutral, prop will spin slowly in current, if it's stainless it flashes, sharks will come and chew on it. Black painted aluminium prop or motor left in gear not so much of a problem.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 6:14pm

Have never taken them myself but those fish oil capsules high concentration of oil taken daily....enough scent to attract a noah?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 8 Apr 2015 at 6:30pm

Good question udo,i wonder if theres a common key to some attacks eg the Ballina one where the shark swam under a booger to attack the japanese guy on a board,would have thought the booger an easier target but maybe something attracted it.Possibly saw him as a threat....Certainly more open minded research is needed and maybe look at other possible senarios as well.

silicun's picture
silicun's picture
silicun Sunday, 17 May 2015 at 8:26pm

Interesting segment in this program about shark senses and testing of shark repellent - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/animal-super-senses/