Sydney Water revealed as nation's biggest dumper of mercury

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 1:52pm

Article in the SMH yesterday:

"Sydney Water has been revealed as the nation's biggest dumper of mercury into Australian waters, pumping 40 kilograms of the toxic metal out of its deep ocean outfall pipes at Manly and Malabar in the past financial year, according to figures released by the federal government last week."

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 4:00pm

Thats disgusting, it really makes you wonder what gets put down our drains!
I feel happier being apart from the normal society where the shit I put down my drains goes to a biocycle and is filtered onto my land as clean usable water for our Banana trees or similar.
I hated living in Sydney too many people for such a small place and the infrastructure is back in time.
Anyways I suppose you have to be careful with what fosh 'n' chip shop you buy from.

Mercury is a nasty element ingested thats for sure.
I said to my company a while back, that I don't want to help out with tank inspections again offshore, mercury, benzenes and all the other nasties are not good for us at all.
All the companies have a set time level exposure with parts per million (ppm), haha they have to be kidding themselves. I have gone back to some places and have seen the same blokes doing the same job 4-5 years later and they look like they have aged 10 fold....?
Heavy metals.......................Ouch?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 4:20pm

Is that the same Sydney Water that was paying Arthur Sinodinos, the disgraced former federal Assistant Treasurer in Abbott's government, $200,000 a year for less than a week's work (including travel time)?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 4:28pm

Good post Welly, agree 100%.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 4:43pm

Pumping mercury into the ocean isn't exactly smart but it is probably not a serious risk to our health and the amounts involved are not necessarily significant in the overall environmental mercury budget. To accumulate in fish, seafood or humans metallic mercury must be metabolised into methyl mercury. This is done by a range of bacteria that are not necessarily present in all marine environments. Other bacteria also perform the opposite reaction. The risk to health therefore depends on how much methyl mercury is accumulating in the food chain. There is regular testing for this at the fish markets. I haven't looked into the results for a few years but they are much more important both environmentally and for human health than a raw statistic for how much is actually being discharged. I will have a hunt around for the latest test results from Sydney.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 5:04pm

Cheers BB;)
Again great research.Thanks.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 5 Apr 2015 at 5:39pm

I can't find the raw data, it should be available so I might make a nuisance of myself with the Dept Of Health on Tuesday until they provide a link.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 7 Apr 2015 at 4:55pm

I contacted NSW Food Authority today and they have told me they will pass my request for the data on to their Science section. It will be interesting to see what they come up with. I'll give them a couple of days.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 7 Apr 2015 at 5:21pm

Good work BB;)
Cheers

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 9:43am

I am still on this. I have been told that the NSW Food Authority should respond within 10 working days so next Tuesday is the day. I will call again if I do not hear from them. I am a suspicious bastard and dislike being bureaucratically stuffed around so I will get whatever data they have......though it may take a while if they are trying to prevent it becoming public.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 10:46am

Without looking into it....
The main factor is the approved allowable mercury discharge limit mg/L as per their operating licence
If the 'allowable' limit is only a minuscule value slightly above a non-detect value, times that by 500 gazillion million litres or whatever they discharge and 40kg is nothing
Not Sydney Waters problem, its the regulatory agence who approves their discharge license, DEC, marine branch or similar
Dilution is not the solution though

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Friday, 17 Apr 2015 at 10:56am

cant they filter it out and re use it- surely there is a molecule that it will attract to and they can re capture it and re use it?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 24 Apr 2015 at 5:43pm

The real issue is how much is ending up in the food chain. That's why I am still pursuing the fish market data. I am still getting the PR run around......the report is still "......in review." Which I suspect means it has more incidents of the limits being exceeded than they would like to publicly admit. I will give them a bit longer before I go the full FOI route.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Saturday, 25 Apr 2015 at 11:13am
davetherave wrote:

cant they filter it out and re use it- surely there is a molecule that it will attract to and they can re capture it and re use it?

There are methods such as flotation, however these just add more chemical regents to the mix, e.g. xanthates, sulphides, frothers and more.