ripcurl pro commentary

saltyone's picture
saltyone started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Apr 2015 at 8:34am

Is it just me or does anyone else think that they talk too much?? It's like they can't handle silence.. have to fill in every single friggin gap. Talking up everything.. kinda takes away from just being able to watch the surfing, in my opinion. Oh and then there's the hollywood serious action film style theme music ..

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 4:48pm

Haha thats Silver for sure Dawg:)
Those affros are something eh, a family of nine, what a great performance.
The crowd were really rocking eh?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 9 Apr 2015 at 6:50pm
wellymon wrote:

Haha thats Silver for sure Dawg:)
Those affros are something eh, a family of nine, what a great performance.
The crowd were really rocking eh?

Yeah lol..... No selfies.... No sms.... Just paaaaarrrttaaaeee lol

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 12:58pm

I have never been a cricket fan, but we obviously need to find a Richie Benaud! As an aside I have this vague memory of him actually managing Nat Young early in his career. Any one know more!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 1:38pm

Dunno, BB.... But one of the quotes I heard yesterday about Benauds commentary style sorta fits in with what i was saying above.... Benaud was given some advice by I forget who when he first took up the microphone.... Basically "only speak if you can ad something to the picture"....... Jim Maxwell summed it up about Benaud;
"And really, the trick to that was that there weren't a lot of words because he was a master of the pause and the silence, because he realised on television you need to add something to the picture and if you can't do that, don't say anything."

So, going back to my point about NOT commenting during a ride...... I think microphones should be set up near the main crowd..... And during a ride, the commentators should remain quiet, a bit like during a tennis point...... Us the viewers would just hear the ocean, and the crowd going off during each manoeuvre... This would give the audio some contrast.... Sometimes a few seconds of silence is more effective...... At the end of the ride, the commentators can give the "wows" and the "that was amaaazing", and analyse the replay....
No harm in giving it a go, even on one or two waves a heat......

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 3:06pm

"So, going back to my point about NOT commenting during a ride...... I think microphones should be set up near the main crowd..... And during a ride, the commentators should remain quiet, a bit like during a tennis point...... Us the viewers would just hear the ocean, and the crowd going off during each manoeuvre... This would give the audio some contrast.... Sometimes a few seconds of silence is more effective...... At the end of the ride, the commentators can give the "wows" and the "that was amaaazing", and analyse the replay....
No harm in giving it a go, even on one or two waves a heat......"

Great idea Sheepy, would work well I reckon

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 4:17pm

RIP Mr Benaud.

Different insight Sheepio, I like it;)

Sure RB would give JT a run for his money within audience appreciation......!
Anyways the circus of surfing is growing tenfold.

thomas11's picture
thomas11's picture
thomas11 Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 4:38pm
goofyfoot wrote:

"So, going back to my point about NOT commenting during a ride...... I think microphones should be set up near the main crowd..... And during a ride, the commentators should remain quiet, a bit like during a tennis point...... Us the viewers would just hear the ocean, and the crowd going off during each manoeuvre... This would give the audio some contrast.... Sometimes a few seconds of silence is more effective...... At the end of the ride, the commentators can give the "wows" and the "that was amaaazing", and analyse the replay....
No harm in giving it a go, even on one or two waves a heat......"

Great idea Sheepy, would work well I reckon

I like this idea a lot, i have found myself pressing mute and just putting on some music when Im watching.
Its super super painful to listen to. The less the better, I think they have taken the commentary models from comps like the x-games where the commentators are explaining every trick performed in the half pipe, slope style, street skating etc. Surfing kind of speaks for itself so it not necessary IMO.
Comment the replay

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 6:06pm

Cheers, guys..... And it breaks the "monotone non stop talkfest".... Thomas, they could also take something out of your "putting some music on", during the replay I reckon........
So to recap - no talking or music during a live ride - just that wonderful ocean sound, and the crowd response.... During the replay, some soft background modern tunes as the commentators dissect the ride... heck, smart marketing would even have the artist and name of track in the bottom right hand corner... Cha ching lol.....

Give it a go, WSL.... Nothing to lose...... Maybe trial it in some early heats..... If the idea is better on paper than in practice, just go back to the current format.....

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 6:29pm

yep Sheepy me like it too.. you're onto it. Less IS more that's for sure. The spaces.. it's the same in music.. need to have spaces, to let things settle to let it sink in, to ponder, gives time to breathe. Bells beach is part of the beautiful nature reserve, it's important to also let that be acknowledged, and not in a quick side comment but to be integrated, through the sound of the ocean. The ocean… that vast huge expanse that ebbs and flows with the magnetic pull on the moon, a reminder of mysteries of the universe !That mystery is a sacred thing actually.. so by dissecting and analysing every move a surfer makes it is taking away from that. And how many times when asked do surfers often say they don't remember what happened on that wave.. they just surfed it. It's that beautiful being in the moment thing. Doesn't need to be continually dissected and picked at and pulled apart..

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 6:38pm

I think the live ride with no commentary , and replay /music idea is a good one. Seriously !

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 6:41pm

You're not gonna believe this, saltyone... Wifey just yelled out... Watching AFL before the game on CH7...... They dubbed Brian Taylor Football commentary over footage of the Bells surfing...... WTF???????? lol Hilarious!!!!!!
Have a good night, bloke ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 6:48pm

Good night Sheepio;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 6:54pm
saltyone wrote:

The spaces.. it's the same in music.. need to have spaces, to let things settle to let it sink in, to ponder, gives time to breathe.The ocean… that vast huge expanse that ebbs and flows with the magnetic pull on the moon, a reminder of mysteries of the universe !That mystery is a sacred thing actually..

Awesome quote Saltynine.
Thats gonna stay in my mind for a long time.
Well said champ
Love it.
Cheers:)

norchock's picture
norchock's picture
norchock Saturday, 11 Apr 2015 at 9:20pm

Didn't that contest finish?

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Sunday, 12 Apr 2015 at 11:55am
carpetman wrote:

How many times do we need to be told that these are the best surfers in the world?

Yeah more like the most privileged, most marketable surfers in the world.
I think they made a mistake letting JJF on the tour. He might actually be one of the best. I reckon they told him to tone it down a bit after that France/Spain comp wherever it was. He kept blowing up and pulling in on those huge bombs. I'm sure Jack Parrow wanted to call it off.
Anyway JJ was back to doing bunny hops like the others at Snapper. Though he was still surfing pretty smooth

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Monday, 13 Apr 2015 at 7:15am

think JJF is going to go well as Margs. He is amazing to watch, incredible surfer, got that natural "thing" that so many other surfers on the tour are trying100 times harder to emulate. Not afraid to tackle the big stuff. I'd love to see some big bombs/barrells being caught in the comp .. bunny hopping - yeah pretty shite hey, john john looked as thrilled as sorting his sock drawer throughout that heat

Mr Wax's picture
Mr Wax's picture
Mr Wax Tuesday, 14 Apr 2015 at 9:56am

They are best surfers on the" planet ". So Pottz, does that mean you where the best on the planet ? Oh yeah Jo its so hard to be the best on the planet . It feels so good to be the only surfer on the planet Jo .

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Tuesday, 14 Apr 2015 at 10:12am

Yep, they need to add in in "competitive" or "competition" whenever they say that ...

"these are the best COMPETITION surfers on the planet"

Performing at an elite level, in the moment required, is a skill distinct from the art of surfing. Let's just call it for what it is ...

PS: The idea about silence and the crowd reaction as part of the commentary telecast would be good.