What you wish you knew when you started

brian_muz's picture
brian_muz started the topic in Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 8:24pm

Hi,

So I think the subject line says it all. I'm just learning to surf now. Having a ball but totally shit. Anyway, I was wondering what advice everyone would give themselves if they could go back to their first few times learning.

Cheers,

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 9:50pm

don't buy a board just because it has a lightning bolt on it and don't go left at pink rocks

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 9:57pm

The cool guy/girl in the surfshop may not actually surf that good and often will sell you equipment that is completely wrong for you.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:40am

Wear more sunscreen and don't wear a fluro pink and pastel blue wetsuit.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 7:40am

1. Spend time learning to read the ocean, and synoptic charts.
2. Watch the older dudes.
3. Learn to duck dive properly.
4. Don't trust anything you're told on web forums.

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 7:48am

Turtle-'when the wave breaks here, [makes a curling shape with his hand] don't be there.'

mothart's picture
mothart's picture
mothart Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 7:57am

'or you are gonna get drilled'

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 8:21am

surfing sucks!it will consume your life,u will become a wave junkie!!dont try it.just walk away.......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 11:57am

Yeah, Zen re' sunscreen.... Skin cancer sucks.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:15pm

I wish that I'd known about the variations of conditions from beach to beach .

As a young fella I spent too much time at the wrong places till some more experienced surfers clued me in.

Just because it's onshore and closing out here doesn't mean it will be there.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:27pm

Do more road trips. You learn a lot more by surfing a couple of times a day for several days in a row rather than 1 session/week on a Saturday morning.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm

Too true Maddog.

Travel, travel, travel.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 12:33pm

Surf with better surfers than yourself.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 3:46pm

Find the joy in the poundings.

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 5:24pm

Following on from chook and mike, if you want to improve/progress quickly and have fun at the same time do not try to learn on or buy anything but a longboard or mini-mal

Average's picture
Average's picture
Average Tuesday, 17 Mar 2015 at 8:06pm

If you live somewhere cold, look after your ears. Surfers ear is easily preventable.

Get a surfing buddy that you can surf with often. You'll both drive each other to get better and have more fun.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 1:04am

I wish I'd known years ago that armpit hair was a disgrace. I've had to physically alter literally albums full of photographs that show me naively airing my disgraceful pit hair for the whole world to see.

In some photos the shame is compounded because not only are hairs visible on my chest , but I'm neither pouting or framing my eye with my fingers in a horizontal peace sign.

I hate myself so bad right now.

Don't touch me. I feel so dirty.

whaaaat's picture
whaaaat's picture
whaaaat Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 7:44am
Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows wrote:

Following on from chook and mike, if you want to improve/progress quickly and have fun at the same time do not try to learn on or buy anything but a longboard or mini-mal

Like I said ...

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 11:28am

Surf shitty waves; It makes medium quality waves seem awesome.

Also, there is no such thing as a bad surf.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 11:37am

Too right ACB, that is the best tip, surf in anything and if you can perform competently in junky stuff, you'll be good to go once the surf pumps.

And no matter how bad it looks, you'll nearly always get one way that makes it worth it, even if it's just one turn.

This one's a little more advanced, but once your up and pumping on the face and trying to do turns, one of the best tips I was given is turn to the beach and then aim up for the lip/face.

So once you've got all that speed and are starting to escape the pocket, don't try a flat horizontal turn right there and then, you'll just bog a rail and fall backwards.

Instead go down the face by turning to the beach, opening up the turn and then bottom turn up and into the wave face. It'll all make sense and open you up to another whole world of surfing as you'll be completing/sticking carves and snaps instead of falling.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 11:55am

Practice getting barreled in shorey closeouts.

1) it's fun
2) you'll learn how to position yourself when you get a good one.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 18 Mar 2015 at 12:01pm

For the big guys in small waves - Think "light" and you'll be "light"..... ;)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 28 Mar 2015 at 2:33pm

Pay attention to all the different ways to take off on a wave. Learn as many as you can and in your head I've noticed you have to be sharp and ready to swing around and go at any time. In your head don't let the voice "no" tell you too much. Listen to "go" more.
Some say you're either born a charger or not, I disagree. A charger can learn to become a pussy as much as a pussy can learn to charge.
Get a visual idea of techniques of things in your head before attempting.
Watch your favourite surfers in slow mo for body positions, weighting, body torque etc.
Pump more.
Slow down more.
Claw your feet into your wax in a tube if it seems like its going to pinch shut.
Start with boxy rail longer mal type boards and fishes, progress to knifey railed shorter boards.
More rocker harder to paddle. Flat stable and quick, nose dive easier.
Late drops land on rail not flat.
You will make more drops and moves by going for it rather than half assed.