adjusting to COLD water surf?

erikb's picture
erikb started the topic in Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 9:54am

Howdy,
Anyone here have much experience with quiver/wettie adjustments for extreme colds? Any do's or donts?
After 12 years in oz I am moving back to Norway and am looking at updating my shortboard before i go to suit the 5-6mm wettie/boots etc. I've previously surfed my step-up or borrowed someone else's board, but I'm keen to get one dialled before i go..
I get my boards from Stuart Patterson in cronulla and I trust he'll look after me, but I would like to hear if anyone has had any experiences with adjusting to cold water waves they'd like to share?

Thanks in advance!

Erik

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 1:43pm

Great question. I've never had a hard and fast rule but a saturated 5mm wettie would have to weigh quite a bit (6-8kg?) so you'd have to bump up your new board's thickness by a couple of litres I guess?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 1:46pm

Countering this is that cold water is more dense, hence the board would feel more floaty, so maybe nothing to change at all.

Zen surfs from near boardies temps to freezing over a year, he'd be the best to ask.

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 3:24pm

Zen? You out there?

Thanks for both of your (varying) inputs so far!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 5:41pm

Hey Erik, I wear 5mm suit, gloves, booties and 3mm hood from about December through to early April, then down to a 4/3, boots and gloves till June, then the 3 mm comes out in July and then boardies/springy early August for a month.

I ride the same boards year round, one is your standard off the rack Firewire Alternator (6"2") and the other is Channel Is. Biscuit (5"11"). I definitely ride the biscuit more in winter because it paddles better and has more flotation. Both are epoxy so are a bit more buoyant than a PU anyway. Having said that, I'm a pretty high volume person myself 93kg so would be topping 100kg in all my winter stuff. I'm currently looking to get another board more performance oriented in shape and pretty high volume. I reckon you stay with a normal shape that you trust and then up it by a few litres to compensate. A little too much foam will make your surf better than not enough in my opinion. You'll also last longer too. In summer, I regularly surf 4 hour plus sessions, in winter 2-3hrs and I'm done as you tire easiier and you can feel your core temperature drop. Even in the 5 mil gear your fingers and toes start getting cold and then the fatigue kicks in. I reckon you can't go wrong having a high volume board in super cold air and water because if you are too heavy you're not going to have any paddling longevity and it will be harder to get into waves on your standard board you surf on in boardies. Also, 5/6mm suits even with the most modern technology are going to restrict your paddling to a degree, so the easier the board is to paddle, the better your surf will be.

The trade off is empty line-ups and all day offshores. Wish i could offer more but that's pretty much my take on it. Cheers.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 6:54pm

Hey Erikb, it's the North Sea for me as well so 5mm gear is the go. I'd get a wetty with a built in hood or better detachable, o'neills mutant serves me well, when it warms up a bit but not enough for the 3mm you can just zip her off. I prefer mitts over gloves, I find the seams between fingers and thumb crack on gloves and if you are sitting around a bit mitts are warmer. Boots 3mm should see you right. Id just bring the boards you have and see how you go, you'll notice a difference of course but if you use them as a benchmark you can add volume, length if you want to and tweak as you go. You'll see what people are riding when you get home, I was surprised to find very similar set ups to Oz which wasn't the case a few years ago. You might be fine with the boards you have and just need to tweak your technique, if your after a new quiver anyway a scadanavian shaper will be on the ball. As zenagain mentioned in colder climes the crowds are sparse and waves can be plentiful but make the most of those board short surfs while you have them!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 7:40pm

Living in Sealand ,vimeo - a bit of scandinavia

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 13 Mar 2015 at 8:32pm

Just light a big bomb fire, beside your car whilst smoking x2 of the biggest/ strongest marijuana joints in the warmth of your car, whilst getting into your wetsuit.
Whilst exiting your car with the roach in your hand, toking hard, laughing with your best mate, rotate the body vertically around the fire to get the last warmth and then run to the surf and paddle out, like a big weighted bag of cement on your board;)

Then paddle around catching waves, back and forth with no-one around that stupid enough to put each other into that silly cold realm and just laugh at each other .
Retire from the frantic stupidity of feeling like a bag of cement and walk back up the beach stripping the wetsuit off to hang by the fire and jumping into the car to spark another big fat joint, whilst the bacon and eggs cook.

Oh yeah whilst they're cooking roll another fatty;)
ENJOY the cold fellas and fellisa's.

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Saturday, 14 Mar 2015 at 9:16am
wellymon wrote:

Just light a big bomb fire, beside your car whilst smoking x2 of the biggest/ strongest marijuana joints in the warmth of your car, whilst getting into your wetsuit.
Whilst exiting your car with the roach in your hand, toking hard, laughing with your best mate, rotate the body vertically around the fire to get the last warmth and then run to the surf and paddle out, like a big weighted bag of cement on your board;)

Then paddle around catching waves, back and forth with no-one around that stupid enough to put each other into that silly cold realm and just laugh at each other .
Retire from the frantic stupidity of feeling like a bag of cement and walk back up the beach stripping the wetsuit off to hang by the fire and jumping into the car to spark another big fat joint, whilst the bacon and eggs cook.

Oh yeah whilst they're cooking roll another fatty;)
ENJOY the cold fellas and fellisa's.

The last time I surfed stoned i passed up every single wave that came thru thinking the next one would be better, this lasted for the whole two hour session and all i caught was a closeout. So thanks but no thanks ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 14 Mar 2015 at 9:22am

I don't smoke weed either.
Used to 20 years ago when surfing the Catlins, and it did help;)

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Saturday, 14 Mar 2015 at 9:29am
zenagain wrote:

Hey Erik, I wear 5mm suit, gloves, booties and 3mm hood from about December through to early April, then down to a 4/3, boots and gloves till June, then the 3 mm comes out in July and then boardies/springy early August for a month.

I ride the same boards year round, one is your standard off the rack Firewire Alternator (6"2") and the other is Channel Is. Biscuit (5"11"). I definitely ride the biscuit more in winter because it paddles better and has more flotation. Both are epoxy so are a bit more buoyant than a PU anyway. Having said that, I'm a pretty high volume person myself 93kg so would be topping 100kg in all my winter stuff. I'm currently looking to get another board more performance oriented in shape and pretty high volume. I reckon you stay with a normal shape that you trust and then up it by a few litres to compensate. A little too much foam will make your surf better than not enough in my opinion. You'll also last longer too. In summer, I regularly surf 4 hour plus sessions, in winter 2-3hrs and I'm done as you tire easiier and you can feel your core temperature drop. Even in the 5 mil gear your fingers and toes start getting cold and then the fatigue kicks in. I reckon you can't go wrong having a high volume board in super cold air and water because if you are too heavy you're not going to have any paddling longevity and it will be harder to get into waves on your standard board you surf on in boardies. Also, 5/6mm suits even with the most modern technology are going to restrict your paddling to a degree, so the easier the board is to paddle, the better your surf will be.

The trade off is empty line-ups and all day offshores. Wish i could offer more but that's pretty much my take on it. Cheers.

Thanks mate! Can I ask what kind of boots you use? Camel-toe style or round toe? How thick? I've used round toe before, but struggled hard to feel the board under my feet..

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Saturday, 14 Mar 2015 at 9:34am
upnorth wrote:

Hey Erikb, it's the North Sea for me as well so 5mm gear is the go. I'd get a wetty with a built in hood or better detachable, o'neills mutant serves me well, when it warms up a bit but not enough for the 3mm you can just zip her off. I prefer mitts over gloves, I find the seams between fingers and thumb crack on gloves and if you are sitting around a bit mitts are warmer. Boots 3mm should see you right. Id just bring the boards you have and see how you go, you'll notice a difference of course but if you use them as a benchmark you can add volume, length if you want to and tweak as you go. You'll see what people are riding when you get home, I was surprised to find very similar set ups to Oz which wasn't the case a few years ago. You might be fine with the boards you have and just need to tweak your technique, if your after a new quiver anyway a scadanavian shaper will be on the ball. As zenagain mentioned in colder climes the crowds are sparse and waves can be plentiful but make the most of those board short surfs while you have them!

Thanks for your tips! Didnt know there were any scandinavian shapers.. Where are they?

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 14 Mar 2015 at 9:37am

At the moment I've got two pairs, a Japanese brand (Falcon) 5mm split toe and FCS 5mm round toe. Doesn't really make too much of a difference to me. They both suck;) Split toe I suppose for the marginal extra 'feel' you get.

I hate booties and the detachment from your board but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Believe it or not, sometimes I get a bit too warm in my gear even if it's sub-zero and I'll pull my hood down then pull it back over when I have to paddle back out and duckdive. Not if it's windy though.

I agree with Upnorth on the Mitts but atm I'm using regular Hotline 5mm gloves and they're toasty warm.

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 11:12am
zenagain wrote:

At the moment I've got two pairs, a Japanese brand (Falcon) 5mm split toe and FCS 5mm round toe. Doesn't really make too much of a difference to me. They both suck;) Split toe I suppose for the marginal extra 'feel' you get.

I hate booties and the detachment from your board but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Believe it or not, sometimes I get a bit too warm in my gear even if it's sub-zero and I'll pull my hood down then pull it back over when I have to paddle back out and duckdive. Not if it's windy though.

I agree with Upnorth on the Mitts but atm I'm using regular Hotline 5mm gloves and they're toasty warm.

Yeah guess its just a matter of getting used to it..

Here's a super random question regarding booties and I'm not sure its ever gonna happen, but do you bodysurf in winter? How much bigger size fins will I need to fit the boot inside?

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 11:13am
udo wrote:

Living in Sealand ,vimeo - a bit of scandinavia

Thanks Udo, I've seen some of their stuff, mostly across the pond in Denmark, looks fun :)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 1:17pm

Never surfed in a rounded toe, always split toe, I think it helps a lot to have the split, stopping the foot sliding/moving around in the booty and more than it needs to.

Like Zen, a lot of people don't like booties but I'm used to them and don't mind wearing them, helps growing up with them in SA.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 4:18pm

O'Neill split toes every day. Always buy booties a size smaller than my shoe size, that just works for me ... winter weight or reef booties. Never have gumby boots full of water.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Monday, 16 Mar 2015 at 6:49pm

I don't know of many Erikb but I'm sure google would throw up some clues, there's Thomas Meyerhoffer of course if you are feeling experimental and Frost are reasonably well known pretty sure they are Norwegian.

erikb's picture
erikb's picture
erikb Thursday, 19 Mar 2015 at 11:31pm
upnorth wrote:

I don't know of many Erikb but I'm sure google would throw up some clues, there's Thomas Meyerhoffer of course if you are feeling experimental and Frost are reasonably well known pretty sure they are Norwegian.

Thanks mate, will have a look!