Contest waiting periods

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer started the topic in Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 1:13pm

Do you think that contest waiting periods are a good or bad thing? And do you think the organisers should be able to pay some more money to extend them?

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 1:27pm

To answer my question... I think they suck.

I just saw on Stab News that the quicksilver comp is extended stabmag.com/waiting-period-extended-for-quiksilver-pro-gold-coast/

Now I don't live up on the Gold Coast but would be really pissed if I did, I mean there is an epic swell coming and the WSL are just going to stay longer than their welcome by paying some extra $$$$ to council or whoever they bribe. The offset is that local surfers are probably going to miss Kirra pumping (or at least pumping Snapper).

It's bad enough that a professional surfing body can have exclusivity for a contest at a spot for 3 days, let alone 12. It just seems wrong that contest organisers can pay a bit more and get the waves for longer. Then further to paying extra so they can own a wave for 12 days instead of 3 days, they can pay a bit extra $$$ into the hands of those in controla and extend the contest further like they have done on the Gold Coast.

I reckon they should go back to a set 3 days over the weekend - get it done, the school groms can come and watch. If they score it good great, if its crap... well that's the way it goes!!! They can prove themselves in dribble or perfection!

What's even worse though was the Ours contest that Red Bull put on for the Maroubra boys... they extended it and finally got a wave but heck it only breaks a few days a year - what about everyone else... just selfish from everyone involved who was making some $$$$.

But the worst I know of is the booger Sharks Island contest with 6 months waiting.... just ridiculous that they can take the best day in 6 months for themselves! Selfishness tut tut tut!!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 1:37pm

"I mean there is an epic swell coming and the WSL are just going to stay longer..."

They're not going to get anything epic though. In fact, the comp will have to run in conditions much the same as what we've seen the whole waiting period.

Personally I think they should just get what they get then move on. Pro surfing is a business but organisers underestimate the social contract at their own peril. When they start exploiting the goodwill of locals there'll be repercussions.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 1:45pm

I think they should move it to Lennox;)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 1:48pm

Or Brazil. Rio's been pumping.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 2:37pm

I can't believe Ulu's isnt a stop.

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 2:50pm

They want perfect waves.... Why don't they just take a few boats and do the whole tour in remote indo???

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 2:50pm

They want perfect waves.... Why don't they just take a few boats and do the whole tour in remote indo???

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 2:51pm

That's enough now A C B, we like it like that.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:01pm
sypkan wrote:

That's enough now A C B, we like it like that.

You and the 400 donkeys who are out there everyday?

Not saying your a donkey btw...
Just the majority of surfers out there

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:02pm

Now look what you've done, burgsurfer's away with ridiculous suggestions already.

Sage advice for yourself there stubenet regarding social contracts.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:02pm

Now look what you've done, burgsurfer's away with ridiculous suggestions already.

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:05pm

Obviously it is time for the Gold coast locals to implement a Kickstart program to raise enough funds to outbid the asp or whoever they are now for those dates, call it a global expression session no-tow zone.:-)

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:10pm

Ok we are sidetracked but what the heck... this is my tour suggestion WSL execs and you can have 2 week waiting periods with 2 weeks extension options:

1. Macaronis
2. Keramas
3. Padang Padang
4. G-Land
5. Apocalypse
6. Lance’s Right
7. Nias
8. Desert Point
9. Rifles
10. No Kanduis

dazzler's picture
dazzler's picture
dazzler Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:27pm

I saw Kieron Perrow on Wide World of Sport yesterday morning discussing extending the waiting period. He mentioned / thanked just above everyone in the free world apart from the local surfers.

Maybe he should extend the period for another week and then ask the local surfers to respect the need of the pro surfers to get uncrowded practice time.

I think KP needs to remember without consumers buying sponsors product, sponsors will review their spend. While the pro surfing fraternity on the GC may think they run the show, the wider surfing community has the ability to stand up and be heard, social media is a very tool if used correctly.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:35pm

sypkan wrote:

???

burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer's picture
burgsurfer Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:47pm
dazzler wrote:

I saw Kieron Perrow on Wide World of Sport yesterday morning discussing extending the waiting period. He mentioned / thanked just above everyone in the free world apart from the local surfers.

Maybe he should extend the period for another week and then ask the local surfers to respect the need of the pro surfers to get uncrowded practice time.

I think KP needs to remember without consumers buying sponsors product, sponsors will review their spend. While the pro surfing fraternity on the GC may think they run the show, the wider surfing community has the ability to stand up and be heard, social media is a very tool if used correctly.

Sadly locals don't ever get thanked as they are not a part of the decisions. The transaction is between those organising the contest and the local council.... A bit odd... I know that when rip curl where doing their "somewhere" contests they had to negotiate with locals. Why then do locals across Aus have no say at all about who shows up? Has anyone heard of any consulting with local surfers in Aus??

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 3:47pm

It's just nice to have the option goofyfoot. And its also nice when the surfing empire hasn't been around for a while. The isolated places it has made it to gain little more than another layer of corruption.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 9 Mar 2015 at 4:50pm

I guess its good….but I've kind of lost interest on the comp and I'm off course a surfer, so imagine the general public…hopefully i will notice or get tipped off its back on again, otherwise i will most likely just see the results..and maybe watch slaters and John Johns heat reviews.