Jim Vale. Anyone know him??

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm

I've got an old single fin that I've never paid much attention to. It's about 5'10" long with a hand-painted (but neat) lightning bolt on it. My guess is it would've been shaped mid-1970s.

It doesn't have a logo or decal but on the weekend I noticed it was shaped by Jim Vale. Does anyone know who he is?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 4:01pm

bump..

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 21 Oct 2013 at 4:13pm

try swaylocks also

junglejim's picture
junglejim's picture
junglejim Wednesday, 18 Dec 2013 at 3:00pm

Well well guess what..i am he..i shaped and glassed that board when i was about 15 in my dads garage in Balgowlah near Manly NSW arond 1975 or 6. if its the red one you have it is built like a tank with a heavy glass job and will handle being tossed on to the rocks like at Fairy Bower where i used to surf it. boards had to be tough back then because there were no such things as leg ropes or leashes untill i started making them as well. i was still going to school then and made a total of 23 boards of various designs and sold most of them to mates and mates mates. i made a few bolt logo boards but the red one was my first and not the prettiest creation. ironically it aas stolen from while i was out in the surf at Queenscliffe on large day and with no leggy i wiped out and lost my board which eventually made it to shore but it took me about half an hour to swim in because of the irrepressible current and pounding swell and by the time i got to shore some bastard had picked it up and walked off with it..it wasnt you was it?..anyway i asked people on the beach who told me a bloke walked off with it and headed up the hill..i gave chase and searched for a few hours then gave up. sad and boardless i grumbled home but was slightly consoled by a great surf sesh and later felt somewhat complimented that someone would actually want my creation bad enough to nick it !! ..so then i had to make a other one which was way better and hence the beginnig of my short but enjoyable career as a board builder. i stopped because my dad banned me from using his garage anymore. so there is possibly another 22 still out there hopefully still being surfed on..anyway enjoy my creation, and its good to know where it went after 36 years..lol..cheers Jim

GREGLVOV's picture
GREGLVOV's picture
GREGLVOV Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 at 1:28pm

Ha, Jim ...the say revenge is a dish best served cold.....

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 9 Jan 2014 at 1:36pm

Unbelievable! I've only seen this message now, missed it when it was posted.

It wasn't me who stole it, Jim. I bought it at a garage sale near here about fifteen years ago. Had a $50 note in one pocket and $5 note in the other. Asked the person how much they wanted and they replied" how much do you have in your pocket?"

Gave them the fiver and I've had it ever since.

Nice to know the history….thanks for replying!