Surfing Sunnies

scottishsponger's picture
scottishsponger started the topic in Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 10:11am

What's the general opinion on surfing sunnies (i.e. ones you wear in the surf with hydrophobic lenses)? Has anyone tried them, or does anyone wear them regularly? I live in the tropics and surf regularly and have started to notice my vision being badly affected after a 5-6 hour surf on a gleaming bright, sunny day. They look pretty ridiculous and I'm sure I'd cop shit/questions from other surfers (hey kook!), but if they don't impair my (modest) surfing abilities and protect my eyes, then I don't really care. Any opinions advice from those who've tried them (or hung shit on those who have) would be good. Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 10:37am

Never tried 'em, can't imagine wearing 'em either - it's difficult enough duckdiving with a hood let alone with a piece of plastic tethered to your noggin! 

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 11:09am
thermalben wrote:

Never tried 'em, can't imagine wearing 'em either - it's difficult enough duckdiving with a hood let alone with a piece of plastic tethered to your noggin! 

Surely ben, not worth a try after a night on the terps?

scottishsponger Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 11:39am

Apparently the more expensive ones offer "impact protection" and could protect you from an eye gouge from the nose of your board (or someone else's for that matter). I remember the Dutch footballer Edgar Davids used to wear something similar in his later playing days. Not sure I can pull off the surfing terminator look though...........

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 12:26pm

Good luck with that Scottishsponger, I hope you have better luck than I did. I tried a couple of brands and they were an utter nightmare. But this was 15 years ago. Let us know how you go if you don't mind. Cheers.

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 1:51pm

Didn't Jerry lopez used to wear tinted swimmers goggles when surfing in Indo?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 2:41pm

Remember the gath helmet with the face visser...they were the bomb,be great in the tropics.head sauna......anyway ive tried a few like blowin years ago and for early morning surfs on the east coast you really wanted them to work but they didnt.pain in the butt.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 3:14pm

I've tried two different brands and one pair was OK but not great.

I have poor eyesight and was wearing them so I didn't have to wear contacts in the water. Because of that I persisted with them but otherwise I wouldn't use them.

The main issue is keeping them clear, Oakley have a product called Water Jacket which waterproofed them OK but they still fogged up on cold days.

The other issue was I hard a dark tint on them which was no good for dawn surfs, which most of mine are, or for cloudy days.

The ones that worked best for me were Silverfish Whistler. The crap ones were silverfish Standard. Ironically the standard ones are the most comfortable but as they sit close to your face they are impossible to keep clear and the Whistler's that stayed clear were uncomfortable.

I'm back to using contacts. But my eyes definitely felt better when I wore the glasses.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Monday, 26 Jan 2015 at 7:30pm

Sea Specs. Have used them regularly in the tropics. Work fine. They float. The strap occasionally comes away from the ear piece and I've lost two pair but they're way cheaper than oak legs etc so you can afford to lose them.

Ebay sell them now too.

Make sure you get some of the Oakley hydrophobic liquid cause the hydrophobic properties of the sea spec lenses wears off after a while particularly if you get sunscreen on them.

Don't wear them when riding a wave. Before paddling for the wave pull them down around your neck. When finished riding the wave and back on your board pull them up and just wear them paddling back out and sitting out the back. You'll get used to them. And they will protect your eyes!!!

scottishsponger Tuesday, 27 Jan 2015 at 1:47pm

Thanks for all the info guys. The Sea Specs sound like the go. Still tossing up between these and just a hat. I know that won't help with the reflected glare off the water but should help keep the direct sun out of my eyes for most of the day. I'll let you know the results. Cheers

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 10:24am

i've been wearing seaspecs with prescription lenses for a few years. contacts never worked for me in the surf. i don't even notice i'm wearing them. no problem duck diving or otherwise. and the tint certainly stops your eyes from being burned by the sun.
like don said, the strap WILL seperate from the arms -- jb weld glue does the trick. it's w.proof and flexible. i clean mine before every surf to help stop fogging.
thanks for the tip on the Oakley hydrophobic liquid.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 11:52am
chook wrote:
i've been wearing seaspecs with prescription lenses for a few years.

I just worked out that the ones I couldn't stop from fogging up were actually seaspecs, not silverfish.

Do you surf in warm water - I think that makes a difference - some of the websites for these glasses quote water temps that they are good for. Probably the warmer the water the easier it is to stop them fogging up

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 12:13pm

water temps from 22 to 12C. sydney and south.
fogging seems worse the greater the difference in air and water temp. i just dip my head in the water when a wave is coming. that clears the lenses long enough to catch a wave.
i was at the point where i thought i'd have to give up surfing. contacts were just not working. so a little fogging doesn't worry me.
if you're after something that functions just like a pair of regular sunnies on land, then maybe you'll be disappointed.

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 3:36pm

if you're after something that functions just like a pair of regular sunnies on land, then maybe you'll be disappointed.

The silverfish are good for on land, the strap detaches easily.

I thought about Barzoptics ARFA glasses but they look like goggles rather than sunnies

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 3:52pm
Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 6 Feb 2015 at 4:47pm

or these?

mg's picture
mg's picture
mg Sunday, 19 Mar 2017 at 9:01am

Hi Chook, would appreciate your feedback on the following questions as I too am optically challenged and not yet ready to give away surfing...

* what model of SeaSpecs do you use / recommend?
* with the curved lens do you notice any warping of magnification, or unusual optical effects?
* do you wear a hoodie or surf hat to keep them on?
* did you have any issue with ordering and delivery?
* what is your single worst experience / feedback about these glasses; and do you have a fix?

Thanks in advance

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Monday, 27 Mar 2017 at 10:53am

hi mg...

* what model of SeaSpecs do you use / recommend?
i currently have the "High RX Frame " == aka "mr cokebottle" they are for very thick lenses. seaspecs recomened this model based on my prescription. before that
i have worn a couple of pairs of the "classics". all the models seem pretty much the same.

* with the curved lens do you notice any warping of magnification, or unusual optical effects?
no.

* do you wear a hoodie or surf hat to keep them on?
no. they have a strap that goes around the back of the head. that keeps them on.

* did you have any issue with ordering and delivery?
none at all. they are very friendly and don't stuff around. timely replies and delivery.

* what is your single worst experience / feedback about these glasses; and do you have a fix? worst thing -- coming off in the surf and losing the glasses (has happendd twice in maybe six years).
fix -- regularly checking the strap is tight, pushing the strap down when it rides up.

other bad things -- staying out in the surf till the sun goes down -- then being stuck with dark glasses on trying to wander home. you can get a clear lense, that would fix that problem.

i highly recomend them. so much beter than contacts.
they are also a great pair of rugged sports sunnies for falling down hills and other such activities.

tomsurfspeninsula's picture
tomsurfspeninsula's picture
tomsurfspeninsula Wednesday, 29 Mar 2017 at 9:25am

Hi scottishsponger

This is a problem I have wrestled with for years with limited success. the arrangement I have come up with is a pair of $5 sunnies from the variety shop tied to a $10 cricket hat by a piece of string then tie all of that to my wetsuit. Its not ideal as they get knocked off in big surf or when duckdiving.

I live down on the Mornington Peninsula and the sun in summer is very strong and glarey. In contrast, once we are past the equinox (about now) the sun dies a bit and I can easily surf with no sunnies and its fine. but generally I wish someone would invent a pair of sunnies that actually stays on. the ones with straps don't work because of my long hair the strap slips off.