Searching for ~~~ MARGO ~~~

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 11:12am

Brendon Margieson ........Where are you ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 11:22am

Anyone seen Margo ? still surfing ? been years since ive seen any footage of him at snapper or kirra or anywhere.

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 11:53am

same goes for Lowey, is he still repping the regular gong haunts

edit: just googled and Lowey is an althlete manager, so probably fitter now than when he was surfing for a living.

sorry for the thread hijack Udo

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 12:20pm

Saw him do the worst drop in ever at Kirra in the late 90,s.

Full look and drop in on some guy that was sitting there in the barrel then he fell off trying to do a reo when he could have got pitted.

Hate it when that happens changes the way you perceive them.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 4:34pm

Wow that's nasty I had a few surfs with him at Padang in the early nineties and he was the nicest most
humble and decent pro I have ever surfed with. In fact he even gave waves to my friend and I because
Johnny boy was dominating fully he would pretend to go and call us in. Pretty cool I think.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 7:15pm

Sorry Indo, I can't write someone off for a one off blatant burning. I've done it myself as a bit of payback for an obvious snaking.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 10:25pm

Johnny boy fucking who..?
He's an absolute cock head to say the least.

Margo is a a bloke not a bitch, best mate used to shape his boards for him.

Fuck off Johnny come back Margo;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 7 Dec 2014 at 10:27pm
Blowin wrote:

Sorry Indo, I can't write someone off for a one off blatant burning. I've done it myself as a bit of payback for an obvious snaking.

Fair call
But..?

Occy still sticks in my mind,

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 8:34am

Had the pleasure of working with Margo on a few projects when I lived on the Goldy. One of the nicest blokes I've ever met, aside from being one of the best surfers of the mid-late 90's - you'd never have known.

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 11:52am

Any ideas what he is up to nowadays Ben?

Last I heard he was blooding groms in Hawaii for... I want to say Billabong. But that was a few years ago.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 12:04pm

Haven't spoken to him in many years, so I'm not sure. I recall Surfing World doing a travel article on him (and someone else?) a few years back, but other than that he's been out of the spotlight.

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 2:28pm

had a sesh with him at back kingy a little while ago. think he was in the mines. he was ripping of course, still had that cheeky grin. how was footage at illuka- fucking alltime vision and surfing skill. he was well, happy, but had coin considerations.

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 3:00pm

A little reminder

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 3:12pm

Sick vid RD, although be better to see the original!!

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 3:22pm

Margo was one of the most talented surfers I have ever had the pleasure of working with...sponsored him for 15 years....

Indo-dreaming ..first time I have ever heard a negative comment about him....he was a gentle giant of surfing.......and absolute gentleman in and out of the water.......one of the most likeable and respected surfers on the planet

one of the problems he had was he could not hassle in a heat or a free surf........he had a few personal issues over the last few years...but happy to report that he is back surfing , has a job and just being the great bloke he is....

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 4:53pm

Coast Watch has a short vid of Margo from 1997.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 5:18pm

Brutus, was Margo one of the few pro's that kept a bit of volume in his boards while the rest dropped away the width and thickness of theirs?
His boards in that vid look great and surfing hasn't, in my opinion, improved much from what Margo was doing then (except the air game).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 5:22pm
udo wrote:

Coast Watch has a short vid of Margo from 1997.

Ahh you mean the "WA Super Session"? Classic footage of everyone! And the soundtrack...

http://www.coastwatch.com.au/SurfBeach/SurfingVideo-632/

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 5:40pm

Roubydouby whats with all this trickery? The Margo I surfed with was a natural footer.
He just ripped beyond belief and so humble. As good and decent as anybody can get.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 6:06pm

The one with big Jbay in it .

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Monday, 8 Dec 2014 at 9:07pm

Evo - I just hate watching people surf lefts on their backhand. Makes it hard to pretend it's me.
To be honest I didn't even pick up on it.