Oui Oui QuickPro!

ACB__'s picture
ACB__ started the topic in Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 2:52pm

I'm so goddam excited for France... Surging barrels, quick changing tides, deadly shories and the odd titty on the beach.... it's my favorite stop for sure!

Boys in the know, what we looking at forecast wise... we going to be running today? Reckon we see the title wrapped up in France?

Lets get the banter started.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 3:25pm

Yep, should get running today with a new NW swell, although it will be the women rather than the men. They need to finish in the coming days.

Smaller tomorrow and then some good new NW swell for Saturday and Sunday but only 3-4ft or so.

Better outlook for end of the period Friday/Saturday week with a swell to 4-5ft forecast by our models (likely 6ft sets in the mix).

https://www.swellnet.com/reports/france/aquitaine/hossegor/forecast

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 3:30pm

Clarrie, the local photog from down my way, is over there and reports the bank at Les Estagnots as being in tip top shape. "All it needs is swell to fire," he says.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 3:36pm

Great spot. frothed on Seignosse that is a great piece of beach!

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 4:00pm

Go Girlies!

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 4:21pm

Can anyone tell me how long a WCT heat is? I thought it was 25mins. I've checked the ASP rule book and it mentions 25mins for WQS - couldn't find anything for WCT.

Now the chicks are on in France and the first heat is 30mins.

Seem to recall the final in Tahiti was 40mins?

Guess it's up to the contest director on the day?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 25 Sep 2014 at 4:30pm

Gonna need 1hr heats for the Siargo comp .....forecast is lame.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 11:28am

Reckon they will put the girls in again and get a comp over in 2 days?

That's gotta be record for fastest WCT comp right!?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 11:33am

If not today, they'll def finish tomorrow! Also the swell for the Mens has been upgraded, looking at 6ft+ clean surf now!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 3:38pm

I watched some of the chicks heats yesterday first time in years, got to feel for them, still getting ripped off getting the dud conditions.

The scoring was also very questionable some of the girls surf shit house very lame styles and weak turns while some of the girls surf amazing with solid styles and turns, the scoring seemed very old school not reflecting the better surfer but more ticking boxes.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 3:42pm

As did I Indo...

I thought on the whole the girls absolutely ripped!! throwing tail all over the shop. I'd never really watched the girls events before but I really enjoyed it. Nikki Van Dijk please marry me!

Yeah I agree, girls do get ripped off in the second class surf, but unfortunately with limited time frames it the way the cookie crumbles.

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 4:54pm

Is that a buoy I see going out?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 8:47pm

Pro surfing is so hard to watch sometimes.

One wave kelly gets over scored then his next wave he gets underscored, probably evened out overall but still.

And thats really the best bank on the beach?

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 9:19pm

Pottz at the start of the JJF, Julian, Jadson heat
"These guys all have an air game that is second to none."

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 9:25pm

I remember when Kelly did a very similar move at Bells and got a 10 and won the final.
This move was perfect in every way so IMO he deserved at least a 9.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 10:03pm

what's with all the claims these days in pro surfing?? reeks of ego, not a good look

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 10:32pm

Need a Roy and HG solution, surrendered tackle is a penalty. Claim is like an interference.

Surfnsun411's picture
Surfnsun411's picture
Surfnsun411 Saturday, 27 Sep 2014 at 8:27am

Yeah claims don't look good, especially in onshore 2-3ft surf! Spitting barrels at chopes is a more exceptable claim venue.

Kelly vs Dane in round two, bound to be a good one ..

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Saturday, 27 Sep 2014 at 8:49am

Ha yeah Roy and HG solution for sure! bring it on! We need some proper commentary on these comps

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 27 Sep 2014 at 9:15am
evosurfer wrote:

I remember when Kelly did a very similar move at Bells and got a 10 and won the final.
This move was perfect in every way so IMO he deserved at least a 9.

True but I'm of the view point that no single turn should ever get scores that high, some of these guys can pull these pretty consistently it would really suck to see guys just going for these every wave to get high scores to get through heats.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 27 Sep 2014 at 9:26am

Seriously why all the hype about Dane Reynolds he has to be the most over rated high profile surfer in
the known universe has an atrocious style digs rails looks slow and fat and has the personality of a rock.
Nah I dont get it.

Surfnsun411's picture
Surfnsun411's picture
Surfnsun411 Saturday, 27 Sep 2014 at 10:51am
evosurfer wrote:

Seriously why all the hype about Dane Reynolds he has to be the most over rated high profile surfer in
the known universe has an atrocious style digs rails looks slow and fat and has the personality of a rock.
Nah I dont get it.

Yeah I agree evo, I don't like his style at all either. As far as his personality goes, a rock would be offended to be compared.

I guess with all the hype I'm expecting to see something special still. Not holding my breath though.
But with the world title in mind, Kelly is under pressure. You never know, there could be an upset. It's a must win for Kelly that's for sure

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Saturday, 27 Sep 2014 at 9:01pm

ugh no signal!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 5:02pm

John John blowing up perfect tube riding in pretty tricky conditions.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 8:56pm

How was John Johns wave a 10 and Kelly only got a 9.1??????????????????????????
Bullshit in my eyes.

islandman's picture
islandman's picture
islandman Saturday, 4 Oct 2014 at 10:10pm

john johns was way deeper longer and better turns at the end

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 9:07am
islandman wrote:

john johns was way deeper longer and better turns at the end

longer yes half the size and half as critical definitely and I don't agree about the turns.
Slater needs to get at least 1 point more too get 1 point less from the judgers.
I guess that's how you change the guard.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 9:30am

That's stupid. They were in different heats and they both still won. No comparison. Kelly's was the first wave of his heat, almost impossible to get a 10 off the bat.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 9:33am

Im a huge fan of Kelly, but i think the scoring was close to spot on yesterday.

Kelly got what he deserved as did John John, Kellys wave was amazing but i think he could have stayed in a little longer, john Johns 10 was perfect apart from falling on his last turn, hence maybe technically he should have got a 9.9.

Was just a pitty there wasn't more waves in Kellys heat.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 6:52pm

Today though Kelly totally ripped off, finds a rare perfect barrel gets deep clean exit, then goes left and gets a couple of turns and gets a 6.5

Jordy Smith gets a 7.33 for a couple of turns.

Seems they were scoring the waves size, more than the surfing.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 7:47pm

Agree ID. Jordy's turns were soft. Looked like he just wanted to put a score on the board without any risk of critical moves.
I would have much preferred to surf Kelly's wave than Jordy's.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 7:47pm

Agree ID. Jordy's turns were soft. Looked like he just wanted to put a score on the board without any risk of critical moves.
I would have much preferred to surf Kelly's wave than Jordy's.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 10:28pm

Well there you go Slater gets a fucken 4 for the impossible and jordy get 7.33 for soft turns Slater gets a 3 something for a right barrel and then turns left and smashes it all the way to the beach and you guys say its
fare. Well this is what I say it was embarrassing bullshit for the ASP.
I now say Slater needs to get 2 plus points more and he will still be scored 2 points plus below.
No doubt quicksilver really hate Slater to enforce such low scores in there sponsored event.
Not to mention one would think the ASP would like a close contest for the world title but I guess like
everything else in the world money talks and honesty walks.
Shame on the judging and Slater should just say im out of this debacle.
On a lighter note nobody could of beaten JJ today. Smoked them.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 5 Oct 2014 at 10:33pm

Yeah it was great tube from Double J but he fell off at the end so how can it be a perfect score of 10?
The judges need to keep the scale down a bit so they have room to move when there is a perfect ride instead of being forced there by scoring too highly early on in a heat.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 6 Oct 2014 at 5:06pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Im a huge fan of Kelly, but i think the scoring was close to spot on yesterday.

Kelly got what he deserved as did John John, Kellys wave was amazing but i think he could have stayed in a little longer, john Johns 10 was perfect apart from falling on his last turn, hence maybe technically he should have got a 9.9.

Was just a pitty there wasn't more waves in Kellys heat.

Glad Kelly agrees with me :P