any suggestions

davetherave's picture
davetherave started the topic in Saturday, 20 Sep 2014 at 1:45pm

G'day guys, just back in water- bodysurfed Froggies yesterday. Does anyone get wicked cramps in calves when using flippers? I will need flippers to swim and get into waves now as my neck shoulders and arms not really doing it.
Always get bad cramps, even big ball knots in musles,
Any help will be appreciated., thanks champions.
dave

pointy's picture
pointy's picture
pointy Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 12:44pm

it's a common problem for kneelo's that use flippers. My solution was to stop using them.

some people say that magnesium tablets or bananas helps but I have never seen this backed up by medical research. see your GP.

resinator's picture
resinator's picture
resinator Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 1:42pm

Used to suffer when first started taking water photos, way back in the day.
Mechanics:
Try taking a break from the constant "ballerina" kick (toes extended/180degree angle). When you're waiting for a wave, try treading water with your foot at 90degrees (toes up/heels down). Don't lockout your ankles when you're kicking.
Use shorter blade fins if you are using divers fins.

Physically:
Assuming no underlying health problems...
Make sure you are properly hydrated.
S-T-R-E-T-C-H

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 2:21pm

I found Magnesium helps with cramps, and even the sip of sea water

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 2:24pm

I suffered from leg cramps surfing for a long time. This is what eventually fixed me
- stretching
- hydration
- magnesium tablets
- fewer big benders (cramped up a LOT worse after a night on the beers)

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 2:47pm

Good news Davo! froGthing! I used to get this problem during squad training. Plain water didn't help but adding Endura did, plenty of that stuff floating round the GC I'm sure. I force myself to drink at least a bottle of water before surfing and it does delay the problem. But after 2+ hrs at TOS or something, you can't just go in and have a drink from the tap. So like 50young, I drink seawater, from below the surface (avoid floaties). Salts and sugars give me stomach cramps/ bolatedness/ discomfort though and I'm not sure if there's any way to avoid that. I'm not a consistent stretcher/ yoga, but I do try and stretch my hammies before going in and while teabagging; holds the cramps off a little bit. It's probably what I should be doing you know...

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 26 Sep 2014 at 4:35pm

Davo, perhaps no more leg over shoulder with jimmy B........ ;)

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 9:34am

well being the fine alcohol abstaining sex free choir boy that my mother superior is so so proud of, all i can say is thanks for all the suggestions. Using magnesium and amino acids, using special brew called dutch courage to sweettalk all the sheilas- so looks flippers can stay a dolphin.
Sd i saw no glaring mistake in your goldy crowded state, mate, its called inter generational equity, regardless of what infrastructure a local governing body erects/performs (not like u anymore- many erects-many non performs.lol), if it enhances the communities social, economic or environmental value, it has to be obtained. So I dont know why you are on about things being man made or not, I seem you didnt have any problems sharing squirtas plastic doll sometimes!. lol big big time

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 30 Sep 2014 at 11:50am

sorry mate, as i have been active lately, as it nows seems, i have 400 emails sent to me, someone been posting on my tweeter account, just stuff to annoy me. hey least i now have photos of miranda kerr.
nm here today, beautiful swim down anchorage in shelter, water coolish but pristine. hope ur well. back to back hawksters