Rabbitt ?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 7:04pm

Clickbait, udo...... Clickbait.....

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 8:44am

Body boards are awesome ! Elevated on a couple of house bricks they make for a great camping table. Especially with that slick bottom. Spilled food wipes straight off !

bigleft's picture
bigleft's picture
bigleft Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 10:50am

why would you even bother udo? and why do people care so much? if a person can handle themselves in the water it shouldn't matter... and most guys who are half decent on the lid are also fairly capable on the stick

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 11:28am

Bodyboards are great for archery targets as they don't damage the flight feathers when your arrow goes in. I've tried old surfboards but it strips the feathers right off so when one of the lid riders around here creases his board I always hit em up for it.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 9:24pm

Bodyboarding has influenced modern surfing by influencing the short slabby waves that are commonly surfed & also the short wider thicker board design . I reckon some surfers wont admit this is true

sunshine's picture
sunshine's picture
sunshine Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 7:37am

in 30 yrs of surfing all types of boards in all styles of waves,id have to say ive seen more wave-wasting,whinge-ing kooks on regular surfboards than on eski-lids. just my experience.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:00am

caml wrote:

Bodyboarding has influenced modern surfing by influencing the short slabby waves that are commonly surfed & also the short wider thicker board design . I reckon some surfers wont admit this is true

Yeah but nah...short, wide, and thick boards have been in fashion before. In the late-60s/early 70s boards got down to 5'8" or so - well before bodyboards were invented - and they got equally short in the early to mid 80s. Surfboard length is like a pendulum swinging back and forth, the current trend of short boards is just another arc on the historical record. Nought to do with BBs.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:29am

Never before have standup surfers taken off so late under the lip of slabs & even been interested in slabbing thick waves though stu . Standups actually follow the boogers movements to find theyre new waves etc

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:32am

Its all very subtle stu .thats my opinion & i knew it was a debatable

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:35am

Topic . Surfers have never before taken off like jamie o & john john at pipe on 6"0 boards

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:35am

Yep, to a large extent that's true, lids have found many of the great slab waves and stand-ups travelled in their wake. I'm with you there. But the short, thick, wide designs.....nah, can't abide with that one. Anyway, aren't most of the super short and thick boards ridden in grovel waves?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 11:03am

Stu you disagree as i predicted .its a heavy call wat i said i know . But no short wide boards are learned from boogers and thats what the worlds best standups now use in slab waves

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 11:06am

Its my opinion and i expect plenty of disagreement . For me its easily noticed becos i bodyboard the slabs myself and ive seen firsthand how things have evolved .

uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy's picture
uncle_leroy Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 11:31am

""Yeah but nah...short, wide, and thick boards have been in fashion before. In the late-60s/early 70s boards got down to 5'8" or so - well before bodyboards were invented""

The first commercial sale of bodyboards from Tom Morey was in 1971, many prototypes were made in the years prior to the first release also

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 11:41am

I knew someone would pick that up. Perhaps I should've said 'popularised' cos bodyboards sure weren't popular in Australia in 1971. In fact I doubt anyone would've seen one, so therefore the chances of Tom Morey's invention influencing the super shortboards of the day are slim to zero.

vascectomy-blottmouth's picture
vascectomy-blot... Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 12:44pm

Body boarders are tools and we should drop in on all of them. But surf mat riders, they are really cool and we should respect them.

Am I right?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 1:24pm

Surf mats? Pffft...they don't even make the scale of hatred.the_evolution_of_the_surfer_0.jpg

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 1:56pm

The skills needed to Bodyboard are defiantly inferior.

But in the right waves like those crazy slabs they have there place and no matter what you ride you need balls to surf those kind of waves.

Personally if i wasn't going to stand up, i think id rather hunt out slabs on a kneeboard than a bodyboard, but in average waves just like bodyboards they look goofy but in hollow waves i think they have real advantages over a standup.

I think its kind of sad, kneeboarding died, but bodyboards got more popular.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 1:58pm

I still remember the day that my opinion on lids changed. There had been a legendary lid rider rolling around a place I was staying once, he was pissed as fuck mostly. Then a certain gnarly right turned on and he transformed into the craziest , most talented individual you can imagine. Boosting ridiculous aerial rolls on the close out end section over virtually dry reef.

He ended up becoming quite a good mate and lent a shitload of credibility to his fellow sliders from that day forward in my eyes. Like all surfing, movies and magazines don't do justice to the rippers amongst them .

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 2:47pm

Elitism........ But hey, we all do it from time to time....... Bottomline, it's MY wave.... fuck off!!!! As I've said here before, us surfers are inherently selfish..... Doesn't matter what u r riding.... Just you, ya' mates, ya' dog, fuck off..... ;)

vascectomy-blot... Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 3:11pm
stunet wrote:

Surf mats? Pffft...they don't even make the scale of hatred." />

That'd be right, the lid's the only one doing the right thing and surfing with a leggie in that picture.

vascectomy-blot... Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

The skills needed to Bodyboard are defiantly inferior.

I can see it now. The average booger, standing on the beach declaring defiantly, My skills are inferior!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 4:25pm

Its true though..

For a few years as a grom i lived in an area that had quite a few waves that you could often only surf on a bodyboards, a fickle coast (NW Tassie)that often only got two foot of groundswell hitting dry reefs (or slop), there was hardly any stand up surfers but heaps of lidders, i kept busting out fins (before fin systems), so my parents bought me a Mach 7.7 for my birthday, I wasn't real keen on it, but there was days when it really was the only option.

So first surf, first wave or two i slid out as I wasn't use to not having fins and grabbing a rail, but i figured that out on my third wave and within a few surfs i could honestly surf as good as my lidder mates who had been lidding for years, bar one or two who were better than the rest and charged. (down the west coast)

Funny thing is out of about those twenty lidder friends from twenty years ago none of them now ride lids, all either don't surf anymore or converted to stand up, including a mate who was an absolute charger and was one of the best in the state, who i never thought would convert.

To be honest though, id love to give one a go again and surf some ledgy lefts in Indo that i have trouble surfing on my backhand.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 4:54pm

You will see in the next few years a new breed of big wave rider . Hybrids grown in australia down under . Young lads who standup huge slabs on small boards , waves the current group of big wave paddlers cannot surf . Just like boogers they will take off under the lip and jump to their feet fast already in the tube . They will take over big wave surfing as we know it . Spawned from competing with lidders in aussie slabs

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 5:21pm
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 5:21pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Its true though..

For a few years as a grom i lived in an area that had quite a few waves that you could often only surf on a bodyboards, a fickle coast (NW Tassie)that often only got two foot of groundswell hitting dry reefs (or slop), there was hardly any stand up surfers but heaps of lidders, i kept busting out fins (before fin systems), so my parents bought me a Mach 7.7 for my birthday, I wasn't real keen on it, but there was days when it really was the only option.

So first surf, first wave or two i slid out as I wasn't use to not having fins and grabbing a rail, but i figured that out on my third wave and within a few surfs i could honestly surf as good as my lidder mates who had been lidding for years, bar one or two who were better than the rest and charged. (down the west coast)

Funny thing is out of about those twenty lidder friends from twenty years ago none of them now ride lids, all either don't surf anymore or converted to stand up, including a mate who was an absolute charger and was one of the best in the state, who i never thought would convert.

To be honest though, id love to give one a go again and surf some ledgy lefts in Indo that i have trouble surfing on my backhand.

The NE tassie crew sounds like the Sunny coast crew.

Even the airs? Getting good style on carves takes a bit of time too, but generally its pretty influenced by standups.

Barrels on a lid are mainly wave selection and balls. You need a reasonably strong core for big scoops too.

I BB cause I like to get shacked every day with minimal effort.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 5:46pm

ha ha..yeah im clamming airs, but maybe i was like the guys that kind of throws there board out in front of them in the lip :P

Also back then the general standard was lower even at top state level, plus i think it was really easy to get good quick as i surfed with decent bodyboarders all the time not only on the NW coast but the West coast (swell magnet city) so was seeing what they did and how, and had to put up with the talk, and watch bodyboard videos, plus as a stand up already had the wave knowledge.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 5:50pm

Learning to ride a lid in just a few sessions is a lie , everyone that surfs then tries a lid realises it is much more difficult to hold a line in a tube . Its actually a fine art

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 6:03pm

Sorry indo dreamer maybe you are a freak and did it but no one else did

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 6:12pm

Indodreamer, clicked on your link then videos on that site and first up is lid riders at Skeleton bay going hard.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 6:13pm
caml wrote:

Sorry indo dreamer maybe you are a freak and did it but no one else did

ha ha maybe i should have stuck with it, to be honest our barrels were just quick in out type waves anyway slab by peaks of big rocks kind of thing.

I actually had the same thing learning to stand up, came from a skateboard background and could pretty much stand up and trim from almost the get go (before i could even duck dive) and didn't take long to be able to do half decent turns, but sadly i have to admit my improvement plateaued after those first few years..damn

I think as a grommet though particularly through that 13-16 stage its easier to learn and improve, plus you just froth on it 24-7

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 6:23pm

Depends on the waves you surf but the local booger down here had his old man move down and picked up bodyboarding real quickly.
That was at our local slabby reef that only pretty good standup's have the ability to ride. Both him and his son were accepted as locals and were cool but it did shit a few of us how a 60 year old man could go wave for wave with us after only a year or so.
But maybe he was some kind of a freak too?

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 7:24pm

Indo dreaming just to confirm your talking about waves like say

?
The wave caps over 4-5'. There is probably a dozen of these on the SC.

Even on that wave the difference between good riders the swell is a touch small for it but on a good day you'll see the better lids take off behind that rock or catch one from the next break up... More ARSs / Backflips / big inverts too.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 7:37pm

Looks like fun , but I think I'll just stick to my wave ski thanks.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 8:50pm

The fact that boogers have cleverly changed the term from boogie boarding to body boarding in some desperate attempt to gain legitimacy shows they have an inferiority complex at least, an inferiority complex is usually spawned from some form of inferiority.

This clever little PR campaign is like Bush and co's changing global warming to climate change to try to sway public opinion. Don't fall for it, it started as boogie boarding and should remain boogie boarding because that name better reflects the patheticness and due ( or undue) respect of it all.

The fact a 60 year old man can pick it up in one year shows the average booger:is a joke and should remain at the end of any pecking order, local or npt.

vascectomy-blot... Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 8:50pm

I went from body surfing (8-13 years old) to lidding (13-28) and then to stand up and found stand up surfing pretty easy to pick up at that stage. I think it's just how much difference wave knowledge makes.

Lidding is much more difficult than most surfers think. Definitely not incredibly difficult but harder than people reckon. I'm sure anyone can trim on a booger pretty quickly, that's easy, but anyone who can skate can trim on a stand up too. As Caml said, holding a line in a barrel, particularly a more wally barrell can be much harder without a fin.

One thing's for sure, I still find it much more intimidating to drop into a big wave on a lid than on a stand up. When you're on your guts looking up, even a head high wave looks solid compared to when your standing up staring at the lip. Add a few more feet to that and a 6 foot wave starts to look bloody massive!

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:20pm
yorkessurfer wrote:

Depends on the waves you surf but the local booger down here had his old man move down and picked up bodyboarding real quickly.
That was at our local slabby reef that only pretty good standup's have the ability to ride. Both him and his son were accepted as locals and were cool but it did shit a few of us how a 60 year old man could go wave for wave with us after only a year or so.
But maybe he was some kind of a freak too?

The bloke at Chi's?

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 10:52pm

@stray-gator- yeah that's him. He's not busting airs but can catch plenty of waves and had never rode a lid till he moved down. Good on him he's a good bloke but it all came pretty easy compared to the floggings you get trying master the takeoff bowl on a standup.

Back in the 80's one of the longtime locals broke his leg twice trying to dial in the takeoff in his first year of surfing there. And just last year another local grommet busted both his legs attempting a late takeoff.
The way it bowls it tends to lift you up and a freefall takeoff is the only option, but that challenge is what makes it so satisfying when you pull it off. Much easier on a booger obviously.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 8:19am
blow-in-9999 wrote:

Indo dreaming just to confirm your talking about waves like say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miMtVI6BGzE ?
The wave caps over 4-5'. There is probably a dozen of these on the SC.

Even on that wave the difference between good riders the swell is a touch small for it but on a good day you'll see the better lids take off behind that rock or catch one from the next break up... More ARSs / Backflips / big inverts too.

Nah..I know that spot, i never surfed it but I use to surf the more mellow option standup further in most of the waves we use to surf were reef but heaps of weed/kelp your surfing over dry reef and you can still knock out fins on a stand up and ding your board, but on a lid not so bad as your in a full wetsuit, got fins and soft board, its shallow but really its pretty safe reef, if you got dry docked you would just kind of flip and flop or roll or slide into deeper water, from memory that place in the vid has gnarly reef and rocks all over the place, not soft hey, the waves we surfed were more like the reef at Caloundra outer reefs, real hollow but not long, only difference they often had dry reef in front of them or almost on the base of the wave.

BTW. i never really surfed solid waves on a lid, it was rare for us to get them, and if we did or if we went down the west coast id go straight to my stand up, I only lidded because i could get surfs on a lid when i otherwise couldn't really surf standup or get much out of the session, on a lid you could still get barrelled and the waves seemed bigger but on a standup you would have to really pick your waves the more mellow ones and it would be a lot harder to get barrelled, not really the kind of waves you can do to much on a standup other than get a bit of rush from a gnarly take off and surfing over dry reef.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 10:22am
vascectomy-blot... Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 1:31pm

Bastards. Blaming it on the boogie.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 1:51pm

*yuk, yuk*

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 1:58pm

Boogieboarding is dying around here. Hardly see any anymore.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 2:06pm
caml wrote:

Stu you disagree as i predicted .its a heavy call wat i said i know . But no short wide boards are learned from boogers and thats what the worlds best standups now use in slab waves

What is the theory behind a short-wide board in a slabby wave? I agree to some extent but not with adding the extra width (unless its to get maximum floatation = earlier entry)

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 2:14pm

Short burst of paddle speed to get in under the lip and less nose to fit the tight radius of the wave.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 2:24pm
stunet wrote:

Bodyboarding banned at Rockaway Beach.

http://rockawaytimes.com/2014/08/14/tubular-views-parks-puts-stop-boogie-boards/

Boogie boarding banned because it's unsafe.

Land of the free. Home of the brave. Obviously.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 2:45pm

Brett Hardy wrote on FB:

Guns don't kill people,
bodyboards kill people

10,000+ gun deaths a year. Two bodyboard deaths. Ban the lid.

dandob's picture
dandob's picture
dandob Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 10:05pm

I ride both. It's horses for courses. The one thing that has to be acknowledged about the humble lid, is that it opens up different planes of riding on a wave. Not even the best stand up riders can utalize the bowl of a wave to do rolls or flips, nor can they perform moves within the barrel such as a 360
I'm amazed that surfboard design hasn't tapped into the variable flex and stored kinetic energy that happens when a bodyboard is flexed into and out of a turn.

And Derek hynd is some kind of genius because of the finless thing? Watch hawaiin cavin yap from 20yrs ago on 43 inch piece of foam on YouTube.20

Morey boogie was tom moreys company name, the act itself is called bodyboarding.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 19 Aug 2014 at 10:16pm

Dan thompsons squared off ends on his surfboards are onto sumthing there too