Slater bows down to Our Don Bradman

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 9:28am

“If you’re gonna be compared to someone who was great in his sport, the biggest honor would be Donald Bradman,” Slater said. “He was the greatest cricketeer of all-time. His batting average in cricket was double the next guy. He was twice as good a hitter as the second guy in all-time. As far as setting the bar in sport, he set the bar, I think.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/kelly-slater-surfing-interesting-man

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 9:28am

'ken oath!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 9:54am
stunet wrote:

'ken oath!

+1

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 9:57am

Although, just musing on Slater's quip "His batting average in cricket was double the next guy. He was twice as good a hitter as the second guy in all-time."

Slater has 11 world titles while the "second guy in all time" is MR with 4 world titles, therefore Slater is almost triple the next best guy.

*gulp*

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 9:58am

Oh, and isn't it interesting KS picked Sir Don? I mean, out of all the other sports, nfl, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, cycling, etc etc ... he uses Sir Don as the benchmark. 0-o

Did Sir Don do any weigh training? How was his leg strength ... ;-)

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 10:26am

No wingnut don't do it. Imagine Bradman with todays bat technology

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 11:27am

oops, sorry, couldn't help myself ...

But, aside from that ... ok, conspiracy alert warning ... I can't help wonder if there is maybe something more to this ... I mean, KS using Sir Don as the benchmark? Could it be that KS is trying to get aussie support, for when more news of his intentions become public knowledge?

This, a while back: http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-estate/kelly-slater-scanning-for-oce...

and, rumours around down this way that he is still keen, has had people looking, working through it all ???

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 11:33am

I know he trained his hand eye coordination with the stump, golf ball and water tank routine but probably did suffer at times from weak legs.
Apparently he wasn't tall enough for the 1st 5 in the Adelaide comp so that's why he turned to cricket and a good thing for Australia that he did!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 11:43am

But could he surf blacks?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 12:22pm

Strong off the legs.
Leg glance.
Leg drive.
Square leg pull shots.
Leg sweeps.
And off the leg stump.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 12:43pm

Astute observation, and thankyou goofball. As other legless ones have frantically, hysterically squawked out, Bradman didn't surf, and would be unable to hold his breath. In fact, he would drown at chopes. As such, according to the swellnutters, he is a useless example for slatso, dealing with the anguish of continually being rejected by the paying public, in his own land, despite all those world championships.

Thankyou again goofball, however, for your own good, in the future, if by some major miracle the ball manages to fall in your lap again goofball, try kicking the thing in the right direction, you idiot.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 1:09pm

Viv Richards surfed
Surfed the ganja and whores...?

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 1:16pm
mick-free wrote:

... Imagine Bradman with todays bat technology

I've been thinking about this ...

Bat tech, yeah ... but also, what about the quality and condition of the pitch these days, compared to what Sir Don would have played on?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 1:49pm

Didn't take long! Hahah Uppy you are too funny my friend. Play on!

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:06pm

Shitstirrers....... ;) BTW, ummmmm... No.... I wont go there.......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:12pm

Hows that.....................ttttttt............tttttttttttttttttttttt...!

Yes Sheepio walks for a Golden Duck.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:32pm

We've been promised so much but seems that Sheepy probably was under done and now looks to be on his way back to the pavilion.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 2:37pm

(In Richie Benauds voice) " What a catchhhh!!!!! Beautiful piece of cricket, that..... Those kiwi's are really taking it up to the Australianzzz....."

Bill Lawry - "yes ritchie.... Sheepdog needs to take a fuckn good hard look at himself.... Let the team down.... You dont just come out and flash willy nilly..... As an opener you need to get your eye in.....
But beautiful bowling by wellymon....."

Ritchie - "Indeed, Bill..... I haven't seen a young New Zealander bowl like that since Richard Hadlee disposed of the West indies all those years ago..... We'll be right back after these important messages from our sponsors"...... ;)

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 3:55pm

'No.... I wont go there.......'

Grit your teeth, and remember that code of reciprocity dawg... don't you fail me too.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 4:28pm

Ritchie- "Looks like they've got the pads on Uppy over there in the sheds and we've heard a lot from him lately.
Bill- Yes Ritchie, looks in remarkable shape for an old bloke, heard he's been fully up the training and you better hide any eggs you've got lying round. He's gone and raided my pidgin coops again, not an egg to be found anywhere.
Ritchie- Well we'll see what he comes out with then Bill, bound to keep us entertained, whether it's cricket or what we won't know until his innings is completed!
Bill- Too true Ritch too true!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 5:06pm

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 6:05pm
uplift wrote:

'No.... I wont go there.......'

Grit your teeth, and remember that code of reciprocity dawg... don't you fail me too.

Wasn't about you, man........ Was about Slater......

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 6:15pm

In terms of innovation I think Tendulkar was comparable to Slater in the current era. Much like Slater with his boards Tendulkar used heavy bats before anyone else did and it took along time before the likes of Matthew Hayden and other cricketers caught on. Now its normal.

Kellys right though nobody will ever beat his average of 99 and no one will beat 12 world titles ( yes I am assuming he will get another one, even if he is still on tour at 50). Kelly going nowhere, he has new sponsor and needs the cash.

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 6:30pm

new sponsor ..who ?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 9:51pm

In that case, why not go there?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 10:04pm

Carlton United Brewery.

VB

Cooppers Pale Ale...?

I will go now with Cooppers Pale Ale. ::)00P-;)]]]{{{___==+____)9)999)))(((((++++++!!!!!!-----;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 10:50pm
uplift wrote:

In that case, why not go there?

Dont wanna end up in court.... ;)

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 12:14am
sir ambrose beachfucker wrote:

new sponsor ..who ?

Kering is the company picking up the tab

http://www.mensjournal.com/style/collection/kelly-slaters-new-fashion-li...