Surfing - Covelong bay SOUTH EAST INDIA

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 1:40pm

New surfing industry in Sth East India, ABC news have a story on Covelong bay.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 1:49pm

This place supposedly has a 200metre long righthander in the right season.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 2:26pm

So its Chennai area eastern Bay of Bengal, Craig would any of the large swell forecast for indo waters reach that far up ? big swell of a few weeks back Nias and other spots were 10 ft but with bad winds , nth by memory ...be o.k. for up there you think ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 3:57pm

Googled around bay of Bengal ,had a zoom on -Nizampatnam - Uppu Revu - land of the long lefthanders, warm water skeleton bay style lefts......?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 4:21pm

Udo I know a mate who surfed around that region years ago, a right hander 200m long....!
He called it "Burning Arse Holes", not sure if it was the food or the length of the wave ;)

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 4:55pm

Jeez, it's pretty protected up behind Sri Lanka there and even Sri Lanka doesn't get too much size off even the biggest groundswells.

I'd be looking for more swell off the north-east monsoon, but this direction looks average for the point, coming straight on.

So I wouldn't expect it to be surfable too often.

And it looks like the point changes shape quite a bit! Look at the change since 2004 when it looked real nice..

2004:

2008:

2014:

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 6:16pm

Awesome research Craig, nice one

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 6:22pm

When u get time could you do same thing for the lefthander ( sand ?] peninsula off of Uppu revu .

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 24 Jul 2014 at 9:55pm

One of Stu's articles... May9 , about how many are watching surfing online..... I wrote; "And yeah, I joked about India.......BUT...... How many people? Surfing is currently taking off over there.... The south and south west coasts get bloody good surf.... A five year plan should include marketing and a competition in a country with over
1 500 000 multi millionaires. The south west state of Kerala ( one of the surf coasts) has a population of 34 000 000...... And just a mere 72 000 000 in the state of Tamil nadu..... Very parochial people...... I can see their new middle class pressing iphone
screens as we speak, tuning into the surfing roadshow in THEIR country ...... Wait till there's a dynamic flexible yoga like indian champ in 15 years.... He'll be a god to a billion people....."

Well I stand by that re' Pro surfing's future..... There's some hot waves on the Indian Islands north of the Maldives too http://www.surfermag.com/features/mangalore-lensman/

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 26 Jul 2014 at 3:41pm

Check out castles in the sky, lots of countries travelld to including India (i think) with Rasta which is the most watchable and rewatchable surfing available. They apparently were the first westerners to surf the pier Rasta surfs in that.Shoots the pier in one section.
Will have to try and find it on google maps.
The section with Machado and Clay Marzo in Peru is epic. Cabo blanco i think to start with then a real nice left that has a wedge/sidewinder takeoff into a pointbreak.
Vietnam section has average waves although will make anyone want to go there just for the beauty and culture.
Lowpressure stormrider guide have a decent section on India but miss a whole lot of the coast which looks to have lots of waves on the maps.
John Callihan used to shoot a lot of north sumatra and Nicobar etc islands but recently spent more time on the mainland searching around and shooting. What a good life some photogs lead.
Seems dirtier than Kuta Bali though.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 29 Jul 2014 at 5:51pm

Here you go Udo, looks like the delta has shifted shape as well.

Also surely with all the silt coming out of the delta there'd be a very gradual ocean floor slope and a lot of energy loss up here resulting in slower/fatter runners.

PS the left running further to the north-west out of screen from the second screenshot looks like the best part of the wave.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 15 Sep 2015 at 9:00pm

Ben, Covelong Point surf and music festival 2015 - surfers village
Board in the pic ? S.A. relic.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 16 Sep 2015 at 10:17am

Yep long way from Lonsdale .

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 17 Sep 2015 at 7:50am

Indi shaping bay instagram, some very nice boards -mini sims to mals - handshaped EPS - homemade blanks, coming out of India .