Should auld acquaintance be forgot...

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 5:10pm

As someone that has been enjoying the hospitality of the East coast for the past couple of months I'd like to make a few ill conceived judgement calls on the area , if I may .... ( note : opinions mostly relate to the northern half of NSW)

1- There are a fuckload of waves to be found. Unlike some other coasts, there seems to be an almost limitless array of options , everywhere. Headland, beach, headland, beach, river mouth, headland, beach, reef, beach , headland repeat repeat . No 100 km stretches of sheer cliff here.

2- The surf is extremely accessible. Leave town, 100 kms of dirt, cross a creek , 15kms of dunes, launch the tinny and reach the reef 2kms out to sea ? Uh uh. This is the East coast ! Pull up in the car park, stroll through the park, past the BBQs and showers , throw your empty coffee in the bin provided, past the swings and you're on the sand, then paddle for a minute and your out the back. Too easy.

3- Most of the waves you surf will be average. So many waves and so many of them are C grade. Imperfect reefs, banks are wonky with large holes. Fat points with lots of cutbacks.

4- Many waves are amazing but too crowded. Set ups that make you realise that Huey is a benevolent God, warm water, sand bottomed perfection....with 5000 crew stinking it up.

5- There are still secrets. Well, maybe not secrets, but definitely low key spots that pump. Properly pump with only a handful of people present, if that.

6- You can surf on your own every day of the week if you want. Maybe not A grade ( sometimes !) , but any given day you can live out your Morning of the Earth soul man fantasies at a secluded break of which there are shitloads.

7- It's unfeasibly beautiful. Clear water, green headlands, white sands, ample wildlife of an amazing and spectacular variety. Just imagine coming from Germany and watching a Rainbow Lorikeet landing in a pandanus tree as grey roos graze on the grass adjacent to a brilliantly white beach... Surely you'd shit your pants with joy.

8- Its still possible to catch a feed of fish from the ocean. Can't say that for a lot of places in the world.

9- The East coast knows how to build a class watering hole. Ice cold schooner of New at the Pacific Hotel , Yamba....Yes please.

10- A lot of good crew live there ! I'll be back legends, thanks for having me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 5:13pm

But don't get me started on Queensland...

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 10:01pm

Well played sir.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Friday, 18 Jul 2014 at 11:04pm

Yeah you forget how good it really is at times, and you just reminded me of that fact, time to take the family for trip to one of those forgotten places

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 10:50am

Just imagine coming from Germany and watching a Rainbow Lorikeet landing in a pandanus tree as grey roos graze on the grass adjacent to a brilliantly white beach... Surely you'd shit your pants with joy.

Yep it's beautiful, but so are lots of places and they remain relatively untouched. If you are here from Europe there's a good chance you would like to experience local aboriginal culture in which case as with most of Australia you are more likely to shit your pants with disappointment. Least you can get a good parmy at the pacific though ey.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 7:15pm

Upnorth, I know what you mean. If your a Blackfella I wholeheartedly apologise again for the atrocious mistreatment of your people, if your a white fella that would like to connect with some Early, early day locals then let me know and I'll have a word with some crew here and see if we can sort something out.