Wavejets - deemed formally as personal watercraft and subject to marine safety regulations

floyd's picture
floyd started the topic in Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 6:40am

From today's Age newspaper.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/new-rules-prove-a-real-drag-for-jet-su...

Wavejets are distributed in Australia by Pride Mobility

http://www.pridemobility.com

Perhaps great devices for disabled surfers in controlled (safe) conditions but surely sanity has prevailed with Transport Safety Victoria's ruling. Riders must wear a lifejacket and carry a buoyant waterproof torch and a small radio beacon.

Mmmm, if only the same rules applied to SUPs.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 8:08am

Good find Floyd. Loved this line in the article: "The WaveJet website urges riders to refrain from using their speed advantage to cut off others in the surf."

So exactly what are they using their speed advantage for?

Hope other states follow suit.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 5:06pm

Well thats good news, hopefully i wont be seeing these at my local beach anytime soon.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 6:29pm

Ha, watched a guy @ Little Noosa for 30 minutes "ride" one while snaking all and sundry. So much for not using its speed to advantage.

Hey Indo, a previous promotional video on wavejet's webpage was taken @ Shelley Beach, from your previous post I guess you don't surf that kiddie land.

Hey Swellnet guys, what's with the ad for wavejet on your webpage? Its right there to the side of the page as I type this. Do you have any control on that or is it a google thing?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 7:09pm

Ha ha will have to check it out, i learnt to surf there as a grommet after school a lot of the time alone i even have hours of video my old man took of me there, have never surfed it since but have been tempted to take a fish or mal out there for the nostalgic factor.

Which vid? there is a whole heap there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 7:19pm

@Floyd,

As soon as you typed 'Wavejet' Google's online hounds were onto the scent. It's insidious but at the same time it's a good illustration of how targeted advertising works (and fails). You were criticising the product in question and it has no understanding of that context.

They see a word typed and assume you want to buy. Modern life...

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 14 Sep 2013 at 7:37pm

@Indo,

THere was an Australian webpage for wavejet with the vid on it but when i looked before i could only find the .com international site! Maybe the Australian page has since been dropped.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Sep 2013 at 7:52am

Good luck with the laws, Shaun.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 18 Sep 2013 at 8:48am

I live on a remote coast stu, there are no laws.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 18 Sep 2013 at 1:17pm

Heres a guy (Ronnie) i used to surf with in the 90's and late eighties, he was onto the first prototype wave jet, not sure if they are the same as these ones in this thread.
He also was into kitesurfing 10 years before most and surfed chopes on a kite surfer etc.
He knows what hes doing.
Not many others will though. He surf voodoo and 4th 5th left on his jet, when no ones out of coarse.

http://www.biarmsdigital.com/RONNY%20HILL%2017.9.2013/index.html