Tailpads

raku's picture
raku started the topic in Friday, 30 Aug 2013 at 11:38pm

Just got a new board. Never used a tailpad before. Would anyone recommend one? Are these just another product for the surf companies to sell or do they improve board longevity?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 6:57am

I think they have there merits, i personally always use one i think they give you that bit of extra traction or reliable every surf traction, i also like a little bit of an arch, but not to much, the tail kick bit has also stopped me from slipping off the tail more than once and lets me feel/know how far my back foot is back.

Yes they can also give your board a bit of extra life, stops tail sinking to much or dings.

If your going to get one and haven't used one before id recommend a thin one with no or slight arch, some are pretty crazy and IMO feel like your standing on a dead snake or something.

That said just wax also has its merits, like keeping your board as thin feeling as possible.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 9:00am

In addition to all the good points above, I'd stay away from light colours especially white and especially if you wear booties. Light colours get grubby pretty quickly and detract from the look of your board.

raku's picture
raku's picture
raku Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 9:40am

Thanks for your feedback. Never trod on a dead snake and don't want to either!! Maybe a new name for tailpads "the dead taipan" !I've got until tomorrow to decide when I take the new board out.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 12:53pm

I steered clear of tail pads for years particularly because of the size of the kick, but in the last few years I have been putting a "subtle style" on my boards for the same reason that ID points out above.

Also, my latest board is alot shorter than what I have ridden for years and I found myself stepping of the tail of my board (much to my mates ammusement) so when I put the tailpad on it made for more enjoyment (through lack of laughter at my expense) and a comforting feel of where my foot was.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 1:00pm

I started using tail pads on all my b oards in the late 90's but I have one board, a beautiful wooden twin keeled 5'6" fish that I keep stepping off the back from just like Fitzy, but I can't bring myself to put a tail pad on it. I think it would spoil the look of it.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 1:06pm

Yeah, probably a good move not to put it on that one zen!

How funny is it though when you put your foot back and step straight off the back. Feel like a right goose!!!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 31 Aug 2013 at 4:49pm

Don't put a tail pad on, soon as you do the board will snap.