Springtime East coast flatness

redsands's picture
redsands started the topic in Monday, 26 Aug 2013 at 1:06pm

We all know October through to December can be pretty lean for the east coast for waves.
I am beginning to wonder whether or not this normal weather pattern has turned up early this year.Any thoughts Swellnet? Hoping we get one good swell before that dreaded period.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 26 Aug 2013 at 3:06pm

Last year I remember Sept / Oct were unseasonably good here in Nth NSW. Some clean (albeit small) long period south swell, really nice days on the beachies.......after the end of winter I'm hoping history repeats.

redsands's picture
redsands's picture
redsands Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 11:00am

Any thoughts Craig or Ben? It's still small with no end in sight.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 11:23am

Sorry Redsands, forgot to get back to this.

Well I've gotta say that last winter (if you want to call it that) was one of the worst I've seen since being here early 2009.

And there's nothing to get excited for in the longer term either at this stage.

We usually see the surf/swell swing in patterns with pumping Vicco and SA while we receive nothing, and then vice versa with us receiving endless east or south swells while the southern states miss out.

Looks like at least another two weeks of marginal stuff but hopefully something after that (but by that time we are heading deep into Spring which is generally a relatively inactive period)....

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 11:52am

I tend to think of October to December as the off season. Time to hit the gym, the pool and the soft sand but that is usually after a lot more waves than we have had this winter. I have already been hitting the gym for a month!

redsands's picture
redsands's picture
redsands Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 1:53pm

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah Craig not much for me this winter and I'm still bumming over missing the July 2011 episode...actually I have still not got over the July 2001 swell which I missed but saw it and judged it as the best ne groundswell I ever saw(lamely sitting on a train going to work).

I do hope something turns up but I don't call 3ft out of the south or 2-3ft ne windswell drought breakers cause I won't bother with it.

Yes BB agree,Oct to Dec for me I could count on one hand the epic surfs I've had during this period in my region.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 2:30pm

I'll happily take more of the same Spring time action I scored today!!! :)

redsands's picture
redsands's picture
redsands Friday, 6 Sep 2013 at 4:26pm

I'm on here to talk surf udo not to slag off some one I don't even know.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 3 Oct 2013 at 11:30am

Sorry Redsands, nothing major on the horizon still, the poor run continues..

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 9 Oct 2013 at 6:28pm

And btw, spring ain't sooooo bad, the cold fronts can still be strong and have still pumped out a few swells for the east coast

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 9 Oct 2013 at 6:33pm

Oh and one last thing...did last night's pulse (as seen on the Byron directional spectra) come in as expected, or was it a bit of a surprise?? Any non swellnet takers too?

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 9 Oct 2013 at 10:20pm

Oh and one last thing...did last night's pulse (as seen on the Byron directional spectra) come in as expected, or was it a bit of a surprise?? Any non swellnet takers too?

By: "mitchvg"

Craig and I were discussing this earlier today. It slightly exceeded my expectations but not by much.

I have my theories on these particular fetches but I'm not going to openly discuss them on a public forum.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 10 Oct 2013 at 5:44am

That'd be the second passing Mitch, and it's very weak, watch out in another few weeks though...

And yeah that S/SE swell was stronger than I anticipated but I was recovering from my brothers wedding on Monday when doing the forecast and a bit time poor so didn't look at the system as closely as I should of.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Friday, 11 Oct 2013 at 12:19am

haha right, well, would've been a good one to test against the new forecast system