Stolen Board At Cactus!!!

devo12369's picture
devo12369 started the topic in Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 1:16pm

Had a fantastic surf trip to cactus last month ruined by the theft of one of my surf boards!! Wednesday the 31st of July I had been surfing cactus by myself for a few hours when a few other blokes came out so I decided to head in. After I got changed back at my camp I headed over the dune to meet my partner at the chair and watch the other surfers get their fill. A few hours had passed so we headed back to see the last few people leaving and then it was just the two of us as there was nobody else staying at cactus that whole week. About an hour passed before I realised that my board was missing. I have spoken to or personally know the other people that were there that day except one bloke. I think he was driving a Victorian plated large vehicle, ford escape type size, and was just passing through. So if you have a mate who was at cactus on the 31st of July and surfed between 3 and 5 o'clock i'm very interested in speaking to you!! The board is a Bear branded "Fat Arse Wombat", light blue with a peachy/salmon coloured band about 2 inches in from the rail. I have pictures of the board and the guy I want to speak to about the board so if you know anything please let me know. If he's a mate of yours and he's out there on a blue fat wombat just be aware he's a thief. Can I put photos on this forum?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 1:27pm

sure can put up pics. without 100% proof lets not accuse anyone just yet ? maybe edit your post accordingly. good luck finding the board and culprit.
it happened 3 weeks ago..why the delay in posting ?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 2:07pm

devo ,

You need to get your car description accurate .

your words " large vehicle " , followed by " ford escape " .......
Do your mean ford :- transit - van , explorer - wagon , territory - wagon , expedition - wagon , all of which i would consider Large .

Or was large an overcall , and you meant Ford Kuga , or Mazda tribute .

Just sayin ' , ya don't want people Bailing others up and doin ' your handy work with the wrong car description .
Could get Ugly .

devo12369's picture
devo12369's picture
devo12369 Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 2:29pm

sorry for the vague description but at the time I didn't realise it we be so important. I don't mean to blame anyone specifically but this bloke may have seen something else?? I don't know but the board, the location and the circumstances are unique, i'm not looking for a white thruster stolen from Bondi...Image

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 2:58pm

Doesn't Ronnie or whoever is running the camp for him take the registration details of all the campers vehicles? I figured it was in case they do a runner without paying but it is probably a legal requirement. If some crime is committed the cops would want to know who's been there. A stolen board may not warrant a police investigation but I'd be ringing Ronnie and explaining what happened. That guy is like an elephant, he never forgets. If it looks obvious that the guy is the thief it might be the last time he is ever welcome at Cactus?

devo12369's picture
devo12369's picture
devo12369 Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 3:44pm

Ronnie was away at the time and the bloke rolled in about 3 and was gone before 5 so the guy running the place hadn't been passed yet.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 26 Aug 2013 at 6:28am

That's a shame mate, I always leave my stuff laying around. When I first went there as a grommet I just got told not to worry about anything getting knocked off as there was only one road out. Times are changing.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 26 Aug 2013 at 10:27am

there in lies the deception of deceit .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 26 Aug 2013 at 10:38am

Pretty unlucky getting stuff taken there, I leave my gear out all the time and you generally end up knowing most of the people in the campground, so you'd have to be a prick of a person to take someones stuff.

But if was a quick in and out mission by a camper and the board's gone that's a little more suss..

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 7:30pm

devo, any update on this alleged board theft.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 10:02am

Pretty sad really, I thought Cactus would be a bit like Red Bluff and the likes where people actually leave board up at the point like on big community….guess not