HIT & Run Missions

southey's picture
southey started the topic in Friday, 23 Aug 2013 at 8:38pm

Shaun ,

carrying on from where you left off .

I on the other hand am your arch enemy and the Stereo typical Hit & runner ......

Mate i'm not travelling to an area feel the Culture . Its all about the Ocean . The choice to to concentrate on out of the way spots , is just that " a love of the laid back Surfing culture " . But i don't wanna live there , i just like to do my recreation and yes Relax . As i get older though , there tends to be less time to smell the roses .
But in saying that i don't leave Baggage or bring Issues with me . Ultimately i aim to have as much impact on a place as if I was never there .... Mind you , i don't mind gloating when people complain , that i only ever turn up when its Classic .
Sometimes i feel that people get angry ' cause they feel like they've been waiting in line for a swell or session of waves .....
But the ocean doesn't take/ sell tickets , so only those that are present and worthy get to ride ....

Mick , its not personal .
Traveling to a spot and joining in / sharing locals stoke is what its all about when its Epic by local standards .
Going away and painting a picture of epicness and really it was just bog standard only tends get people offside .
Not myself , just my regular hosts in far off spots then tend to make it harder for people like myself that can sometimes get
put into a " documenting traveller category , rather than a absorbing one " .
Basicly the road is smooth when people don't rip it up ...

Now when and where is my next Target .

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 7:05am

Southy, I get the idea that you have regular h&r destinations there by you have gained a certain amount of trust in those line ups, also it helps to go under the radar by doing solo missions.
As far as getting in line, Your fucken dead right you can get in line, you chose to live away from the coast for most likely financial reasons, I took a pay cut so I didn't lose my spot. But as you know, a bloke on his own can soon be sharing the love in a very short time if he plays his cards right.
The best surfs I have had this year and there have been a few classics, have been on the most unlikely days that you would never predict as a classic day and that's why I go on extended missions rather than hit & miss.
Mickfree nothing personal, but you turn up with a fancy camera and start shooting before you go out, that just say's to me that your more worried about bragging rights than getting out amongst it, at best you need photographic proof to show all your mates you scored and you might put it on the internet to show complete strangers how smart you are. Then there is you Mick, pics for money. Don't expect any love out at my local.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 3:19pm

Shaun, Mick didn't take the photos, it was his travelling companion Joel.

Mick is one of the keenest surfers I know and would always be out there to surf before taking snaps.

He never usually takes snaps at all on his hit and run missions and is just there to surf enjoy.

I'm an advocate of both re hit/run and also staying put.

Every year I go to a special place where you just set up camp with a handfull of excellent reefs all within less than a few hundred metres walk. This is the trip where you get in sync with the weather/ocean/day and swells and take it as it comes, make friends in the water and out and also just live the simple life. These are my favourite trips!

But then there are the strike missions I've done on weekends to chase swells interstate or even away from the city here. They are similarly rewarding as you get soo many good waves in such a small amount of time.

There's merit in both and some people simply don't have the time to book a long stint away but have the cash to chase down a swell.

Every situation is unique and you should be able to see the benefits on both sides Shaun.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 4:12pm

Hit and run missions are fine.

As long as people don't turn up in packs im cool...but guys that turn up in groups of more than a few guys, thats whats shits me no matter where there from.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 5:09pm

Southey that was nice of you to make a thread for Mick, now I get the picture.
In my eyes, good on anyone that makes an effort to travel some hours in their own country to get some waves.
I take my hat off too them, they're keen as and are making the most of life.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 6:37pm

Indo that's the way I usually travel but will never bring more than 2 others.

redsands's picture
redsands's picture
redsands Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 9:42pm

Never see anyone do hit and run jobs around where I go.In fact I would welcome it to share and relieve the boredom of constant soul sessions.Craig if your keen your welcome to get my email off Stu and I can show you round some time.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 24 Aug 2013 at 11:21pm

Sole / Solo , Redsands ????

'cause if its "Soul" that ya bored of , maybe ya need to switch to Regae !!!? ;-)

Maybe the Hit Run missions are so stealth in your area , that you are unawares ..... heheh

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 6:14am

Craig, if Mick chooses to travel with a photographer then he is just as responsible. But as Mick has said he too is writing the trip off on tax, so what are you doing Mick, How are you making money from your trips.
Traditionally photographers are the bottom dwellers, the hangers on of the surfing world. Dorks that are unable to get waves, so they climb the popularity ladder with a good camera and better they get at that the cooler the friends they have, till eventually if all goes well he's hanging with the pros, where he finds that here is a group of people that can be easily manipulated as most have no education as all they have ever had to think about is surf, suddenly he is at the top of the heap. Shame he hasn't figured out it's a heap of shit.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 6:27am

So, a question for all you h&t's, it's so considerate that there is only 3 of you, and you pull up in a car park and see me out(you don't know it's me so you don't hate me yet)and after 10 to 15 minutes of no waves you see a one wave set that is quite good, what happens now, do all three of you paddle out?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 8:09am

If im out surfing alone and

One guy paddles out= Im happy to see you and have a chat, odds for sharks are cut by 50% and i now have someone to mark the take off spot when i paddle back out.

Two guys paddle out= much the same, ill say g'day and if you want to talk cool, IMO three guys out is the perfect number of guys in the water.

Three guys= if you say g'day, ill say g'day, but please don't snake me.

Four guys= Im just paddling deep and holding my spot, im not real happy to see you guys, but im trying not to give attitude.

Five guys= WTF, please, and avoid eye contact, i cant help but give a little attitude.

Six guys paddle out= more than fits in one car, you guys really suck, go find somewhere else to surf, id love to tell you guys what i think, but im not one for conflict.

Seven guys or more paddle out= And unless ive been out a while or its good ill most likely catch the next wave in.

If the crowd arrives all separate, not a car load or two car loads, im cool, it might suck a little but thats just life, natural surfing crowd evolution.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 8:25am

Haha Indo that is pretty much spot on! Although 3 guys paddling out is enough for me to paddle in if im out there by myself. Kinda just ruins it for me. Can't say I've ever seen 6or 7 guys paddle out at once but for some reason boogieboarders always seem to travel in groups of 3 or 4 which gives me the shits.. Can't surf solo? I guess that's a different topic for another day...

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 9:29am

Jeez Shaun, you've gotta lighten up.

I don't want to keep answering for Mick here, but his works revolves around fitting out new and re-stocking certain types of stores around the country and that's how he can write some of his trips off.

That Vicco trip was the first time he travelled with his mate who also runs a gallery so naturally takes shots along the way.

Indo, totally agree with you there!

And personally I think photography goes well with surfing/roadtrips. We go to some of the most amazing places on the coast that normal people don't normally access and I love documenting the beauty of such places. As I've said before my shots are taken in between surfs while re-fuelling or quickly before/after a session.

I got into photographing the surf after tearing my MCL twice and then needing surgery, so it was the only thing that kept me sane and the skills I learnt through that period I've continued to use while I'm back to 100% surfing now.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 25 Aug 2013 at 1:44pm

Are there only one wave sets down that way Shaun?
Thats no good at all, especially when there is more than one person in the water!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 26 Aug 2013 at 11:48am

Why do you feel you have to answer for Mick? Yes photography does go well with surf trips, it's plastering it all over the net that spoils it. Lighten up, does that mean agree with me/us.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 27 Aug 2013 at 5:59am

Welly a lot of the time there is one ridable wave in a set, might be 4 waves but only one is the right size the rest might not even break. Vicco is a very different beast from the east coast as only get sw ground swells, some a bit more westerly others a bit more southerly.

My pet hate at the moment is the group of guys in the carpark playing with there phones, fair enough could be doing anything from checking the wind elsewhere or whatever, but 15 minutes after paddling out another carload turns up and they all know each other.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Tuesday, 27 Aug 2013 at 6:01am

Feel your pain indo, have had 8 guys paddle out together paddle inside and announce the live there.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 27 Aug 2013 at 9:47am

Yeah shaun I understand your frustration with hit and run surfers, or just the crowd factor at your local.💩
Its funny really when you think about it too much, but it doesn't help our thoughts at all.
My progression with crowds in the surfing arena has been a journey.
Years ago in NZ (oh no not NZ again!) the waves I surfed, it would be awesome too see someone and share the stoke.
Moved to Ulladullah for 3 years, fuck me great waves and locals who could all rip, but get all the best set waves. So I thought different and went and surfed the grade B waves with 3-4 people, instead of 20.
Moved to the SE QLD, oh my god, rocked up to the famous super bank one day, absolutely so perfect and long 3-4ft, I counted 486 people from Greenmount to Snapper. That honestly put me off surfing for awhile mate, really, I could not get my head around this at all.
Took me years to get my head around crowds, but I usually surf where there are less, which quite hard sometimes. As long as I get a couple of waves which gets my stoke back up Im happy.
I myself need to do "Hit and Run Missions" especially to Run from the masses. :)