shark/s off winki

gdh's picture
gdh started the topic in Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 1:34pm

Did anyone else see the sharks about 100 or so metres off the button yesterday? I was walking down the steps about approx. 11.30am and some old dudes pointed out a feeding frenzy to me. No one in the line-up appeared to notice and about 2 hours later a chopper went overhead. I don't know if that was a coincidence or not. Pretty unnerving all the same as I often paddle out before dark for a dawnie this time of year.

gdh's picture
gdh's picture
gdh Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 1:35pm

sorry, I meant before dark or for a dawnie that is...

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 1:42pm

I wasn't aware of that but I did have one swim right under me a few weeks back, although it was at MP. A friend also had a bit of a run in a week ago further down the GOR.

There's plenty out there!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 1:42pm

in the dark.....for a dawnie ???

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 2:56pm

GDH , d'ya reckon they're not there the rest of the time mate ??????. Just cos ya can't see em ...............

gdh's picture
gdh's picture
gdh Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 3:14pm

haha yeah obviously they're in the water, but I prefer the peace of mind that comes with 'out of sight out of mind'.

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 4:07pm

Saw one next to point addis yesterday. Wasn't that big judging from it's fin. Do they get closer to shore in winter time?

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 4:28pm

I think there's research suggesting the opposite; that the warmer waters of summer draw them in.

But I'm sure someone else can give a more substantial answer.

dumpy's picture
dumpy's picture
dumpy Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 5:48pm

I thought they came in close on the rains ?

anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 7:34pm

So laughable. Think dolphins/seals/ salmon= feeding frenzy.
Lived there my whole life, never seen one, and i do a lot of water time.
i fish i surf i know.
Live your paranoia.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 7:41pm

"I fish I surf I know"

Well done hero. What wrong with people asking questions?

anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 8:00pm

.....and the angry screw foot took the bait. Hero? nah, just educated and spreading the love to the masses. Aloha

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 8:05pm

Nah mate you sound like a know it all tosser. Aloha

anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh's picture
anton-chigurh Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 8:23pm

zzzzzzz

dumpy's picture
dumpy's picture
dumpy Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 9:15pm

where i live, i have seen a few, close up. memorable moments include
1/ surfing out the back of home, with one friend. paddling out, i thought: "thats strange to see a body surfer so far out... oh ... a mako" as big as me. plenty of salmon. we paddle across the channel and down to the next peak and keep surfing. a bit spooked..
2/ solo at a beachie 10 km away. 3ft glass late arvo summer. 6 guys out 2 banks down. waiting between sets and the water is cavitating/being sucked under arms length away by a large black shape doing L turns around me. after about four of these, a salmon jumps out of the water next to me (chased by the big black thing im guessing). I catch the next wave in, and go join the 6 dudes.

I don't think of this response as paranoia though - to me it makes sense not participating / becoming a part of the food chain.
It is more dangerous trying to drive on the city freeway IMO!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 9:32pm

hhehe @ Goofy ....

You should of surfed today Goofy ..... " Your Angry when your Hungry " ! ......

sharks ? seen two in this state ( VIC) ( all from land ) and two in the water " elsewhere " in Aust .

You can't do anything , except the obvious avoidance times . so why worry about it ?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 10:36pm

I saw one the other day!

Was looking at a new car, just round the corner I pulled up to a real estate sign, Saw a bigger fucker in a grey suit.?......