*Vic* Surfing Lessons Surf Coast

keegs's picture
keegs started the topic in Sunday, 11 Aug 2013 at 7:05pm

I'm looking to get surf lessons once a month or so,

I don't live close to the beach but travel to 13th beach once a week and would put in 4-5hrs a session. My current level of surfing would be beginner - intermediate. I can pop up averagely and front side bottom turn, I've just started to get my top turns going. Currently riding a FW 6'4 spitfire and when my rotator cuff injuries re-visit a pretty fun 7'1 plattupussy by Rousa.

Based on the above information I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction for a surf teacher/instructor on the surf coast.

The two areas I'd like help on immediately would be pop up technique, turning positioning/advice.

If anybody has used someone or knows of someone's services I'd love to hear back. I've tried google but would prefer some feedback before jumping in.

Other alternative is indo dreaming teaching me and I'll repay you with beer and cash haha.

- sean.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 12:44am

Keegs ,

When you paddle , concentrate on lifting your elbow higher than the rest of your arm . Rather than round arming , ( your arm should be more like a Swimmers stroke when you have you hands/arms out of the water during your paddling stroke . I had a pretty bad Rotator cuff injury years ago that caused by stalling too much with arm in the wall , and constant surfing didn't help . But with the right advice the change in paddle technique actually strengthened it rather than do more damage .
Until my physio gave me this advice i had two other doctors and physios tell me to rest it .

As for surfing , take a month or two off work either when its good , or travel to where it will be consistently good . Surf every day for that period . Better than taking / paying someone for advice . PS i don't mean going to Bali and getting on it as much as you surf ....

l-tee's picture
l-tee's picture
l-tee Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 10:15am

Gday Keegs,
great advice from Southey regarding stroke form...I will add that I'm a surf coach and work for a good company but I am not going to advertise, just advise.
Best thing to get better at surfing is go surfing.
Pop up technique and turning is another thing. Get someone to watch and give feedback...and/or video you doing the actions and get feedback. It doesn't have to be a pro, just someone who knows what they're talking about....even a mate?
You will find surf schools in TQ and OG areas with a google search and it will be obvious who has real instructors and who has kids on summer holidays on deck....no bias here just do your homework and make sure if you are going to drop some coin then get good value!!
But like southey says, perseverance, determination and patience but most of all you will just have to put in the time.
There is no magic trick.....

keegs's picture
keegs's picture
keegs Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 5:13pm

Thanks for the stroke tip, I always use that technique as its the most effective and i find it easier to keep a rhythm with my breathing.

I understand that theres no magic trick and that the best way is to get wet and spend time in the water.

Not one of my friends surf so im always solo unfortunately. Given my circumstances i feel the best way to improve and gain valuble feedback would be from an instructor.

appreciate the responses and i-tee iv sent you a msg on here too.

any instructor recommendations?

Cheers, Sean.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 12 Aug 2013 at 5:19pm

me too keegs, I don't have any friends either,
Just go and catch waves and tell your friends to fuck off,
especially if they are ridding Mals??....

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Tuesday, 13 Aug 2013 at 12:02pm

Apparently Phippsy has a reasonably priced teaching practice based in O'Grove - see the guys at Murph's - they might be able to set u up with phone / address 2 book a lesson.Ride a mal & tell your m8s on shorties to have a rectal prolapse !!.

l-tee's picture
l-tee's picture
l-tee Tuesday, 13 Aug 2013 at 6:17pm

Yeah Phippsy is in Point Lonsadle but I think he shuts up shop in winter to go to France?Good instructors though. Murf will know a few and always worth a visit. He loves arguing Long/shortboard debate!!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 14 Aug 2013 at 6:16pm

@sinkinem and l-teehe go on the Why Ride Malibu's topic. Get it up past 5oo comments.

Like I said, learners get talked into and given Mals to surf through surf shops.

There is no argument , really.

keegs's picture
keegs's picture
keegs Wednesday, 14 Aug 2013 at 7:50pm

How much do your knees play part in your pop up technique? I seem to really need a good push off the knee caps for a quicker pop up.. Causing deck depressions..

Could someone who has it completely dialled in break down there pop up technique as much as they possibly could? I've tried to freeze frame all the YouTube vids to help but they all use arms, then toes like mal riders.

I feel like my pop up is really weak.

The more in depth detail the better.

Thanks!

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Friday, 16 Aug 2013 at 11:14am

@Wellymon - had a look 4 the Malibu /Short thread Welly, but I cant' locate it so far, any ideas? can u search the stack?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 16 Aug 2013 at 1:56pm

How it going sigkenken, on the home page, under Surfpolitiks, Big boards with question marks on them.
No disrespect to yourself at all, but a well written article by BB that has ruffled a few feathers.
Good read.

l-tee's picture
l-tee's picture
l-tee Saturday, 17 Aug 2013 at 10:02am

It's starting to take too long to scroll down to last comments on that thread....feathers being plucked i'd say welly!

singkenken's picture
singkenken's picture
singkenken Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 3:01pm

Thanks Welly, found it straight away when I was on the home page duh!. Many words written & I can see why you direct comments away from other threads - man there is some bile being vented there !!!. Don't think I will contribute, as all angles are well covered, but dare I say it, not all egos are.

nebasha's picture
nebasha's picture
nebasha Monday, 19 Aug 2013 at 4:19pm

@keegs: no toes Take an old (short)board, put it on some blankets (or if you don't give a fuck, just on the ground) and practice, practice, practice. It's not completely fair as when on a wave you're being lifted more to the front of your board making the pop up easier (that's my experience anyway). Great exercise to get that upper body strength up a level is clap-push-up-on-ball. I find most of the exercises on http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html fun to do.