blindboy started the topic in Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 5:32pm
blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 5:32pm

Very sad.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 5:37pm

Very sad indeed, also do they need to show them trying to resuscitate him in the video. Couldn't imagine how hard it would be for family/friends to see that.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 5:40pm

I agree Craig. Your privacy and your suffering turned into their dollars, screw them.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 5:47pm

Seems to be all to common these days [last 10 years] showing the sad stuff....fucking disgusting
the laws need to be changed .

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 5:55pm

Yep, the media has become totally desensitised, I think the most shocking to me was the London murder with blood on his hands in that video, not blurred out, crazy!

10 years ago they'd put a graphic content warning up, but these days it's free for all. Dead bodies from the war zones across the Middle East, blood on pavements from mass shootings, all that kinda stuff.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 6:03pm

....and that wonderfully imaginative question in the face of tragedy. " How do you feel...........?"

They must get a bonus if they cry. Parasites!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 6:26pm

RIP,
Could happen to any one of us, at any time of our life.
Take Care....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 7:35pm

Well said welly..... Thoughts go out to the family......

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 2 Jul 2014 at 8:58pm

RIP.

Condolences to the family and the crew unfortunate enough to witness it.

Hope he's at peace.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 9:47am

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/matthew-richell-from-hachette-australia-dies-surfing-at-tamarama-beach-20140702-zstzu.html

I read elsewhere that this accident should never have happened; his friend or others should have been there for him. That may be true, but as a longtime surfer I looked at the conditions and wondered how it could even happen. Like, how does anyone get in trouble on a relatively mild day like that? 

The article above says he had moved from Britain so I'm assuming he was relatively inexperienced. There's a lot to be said for familiarity and comfort in the ocean, and it's easy to take what we've learned over the years for granted. Perhaps others who were surfing Bronte when it happened thought the same as I and that's why they didn't go to help?

Whatever the reason...father of two, tragic news.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 10:53am

Stu I was in the water at about that time yesterday and it was very variable with a couple of solid four foot sets but longer periods of smaller stuff. From what I read it seems as though he was being swept around the headland and tried to get up onto the rocks then got washed into a rock and knocked unconscious. I am not sure how anyone would have been expected to see the problem and react quickly enough to save him. It may have been inexperience but it may simply have been an unwise decision and bad luck.
As I have observed a few times elsewhere however, there has been a huge drop in the competency levels over the last decade or so. The surprise then is not that this happened, but that similar things don't happen more often. I am not asserting that incompetence was a factor in this case, just that with the mix of surfers we have in Sydney at the moment, accidents caused by inexperience and incompetence are inevitable.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 11:12am
blindboy wrote:

As I have observed a few times elsewhere however, there has been a huge drop in the competency levels over the last decade or so. The surprise then is not that this happened, but that similar things don't happen more often. I am not asserting that incompetence was a factor in this case, just that with the mix of surfers we have in Sydney at the moment, accidents caused by inexperience and incompetence are inevitable.

I'm hearing you BB, I've noticed the last 5+ years up here the amount of incompetent surfers in the water...!
Given that, I remember last year when I nearly drowned with a burst eardrum at TOS, on a good solid grunty 4-6ft day.
Now when I see blokes take off I try to watch them surf from the back and now keep an eye out, especially if they get smashed and are grovelling around in trouble...! I think I do this now as when I got smashed there were heaps of people out and no-one knew...?

IMO 'CPR' is one great response to learn and to have skills in, as well as keeping it updated with practice.
DRSABCD.... important stuff and can help many.

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 11:54am

Good call Welly, I used to be a giggle-at-the-kooks kind of guy when seeing people get cleaned up rocking off etc. But now, after a quite a few nasty incidents in the water over the years, I am more likely to keep an eye on the people around me and render assistance than to sit back and laugh. May be age has something to do with it too.

BTW Stu, massive (and thoughtless) assumption on linking his level of experience to having just moved from Britain. Two of the best, most competent surfers I know are English.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 11:57am

All true welly, we are all responsible for each other's welfare in the water and, at times I think that includes telling people that they shouldn't be where they are. I see people who can barely paddle drifting through the line up oblivious to their own risk and the risks they present to others by being unable to exert any control on their, usually oversized, equipment.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 12:03pm

braudulio wrote:

BTW Stu, massive (and thoughtless) assumption on linking his level of experience to having just moved from Britain. Two of the best, most competent surfers I know are English.

Thoughtless? Steady on. It was an assumption, yeah, but he's CEO of a very large publishing house so hardly likely to have lived on England's surf coast, and he now lives in Balmain. Nothing conclusive, but hardly thoughtless.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 12:09pm

BB, over the fews years up here, I have helped a few people who have got really punished jumping off the rocks at Burleigh point in solid 6ft, they should not of been there from the start. Had to hop back up the rocks, ditch my board, hop back down and unleash their leggies, whilst getting my own cuts and even once their board on my noggin.
Their adrenalin levels were so high they forgot to thank me....????
I hope they learn't, as it's always a challenge jumping off there when size :)

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 12:13pm

Stu, possibly used the word thoughtless a bit too quickly there. It's just that I read your sentence to mean (insinuate) that his level of experience was to blame. Apologies if that was not your intention.

It's a tragedy one way or the other. The bloke's left a widow and two kids. All the best to them.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 12:26pm

Never been a clubbie welly but I have done more serious rescues than most of them! Most of us who have been around for a while have a few tales to tell! Never lost one yet!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 3 Jul 2014 at 12:38pm

;)

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 1:50pm
wellymon wrote:

... keep an eye out, especially if they get smashed and are grovelling around in trouble...! I think I do this now as when I got smashed there were heaps of people out and no-one knew...?

Was taught that as a grommet, by the older local crew who 'looked out' for us ... I still remember when I was about 12, being pulled to the surface by my leggie. Sat in deeper water for a long while, and remember the "chat" in the car park later that day. "Wingy, it's easy to watch out for others, one day you'll you can return the favour ..."

The simple rule I now use it to count to 10, fairly slowly, so it's maybe 10 to 15 seconds ... if they have not surfaced, or are struggling to get back on their board, I start to paddle over ...

But, then, must people these days can't give a fuck about anyone but themselves.