europe

desoutc's picture
desoutc started the topic in Monday, 24 Jun 2013 at 11:26pm

gday everyone, planning on heading over to Europe at the end of year (December, January, February) as the travel bugs already got a hold of me. anywhere anyone can recommend, mainly for surfing but also partying, travel etc. heard nothing but good things about the canaries and morocco so will definitely have to check them about, but just seeking some advice on other exciting places to venture to. are you better off taking boards with you or just buying a couple of sticks over there? cheers for the help

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 7:23am

I know nothing on surfing in Europe, but of all the groups of surfers ive surfed with from around the world the guys from Canaries islands have easily ben the worst.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 11:48am

Dec/Jan/Feb is right in the middle of European winter desoutc so take ya steamer for sure - maybe even a 4'3 - it will be cold.

For partying/surfing you can't go past Hossegor in France and San Sebastian in Spain - good surf and those French and Spanish guys sure know how to party.....

Morocco is unreal but it's best of you have your own car. If you haven't got a car then head to Agadir - there's some 'killer' waves down there for sure. Not so much partying tho.

pster's picture
pster's picture
pster Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 12:30pm

For surfing, the obvious one is Mundaka - and then the areas all around there offer up some amazing (and deserted) waves ;)

But if you can get down there, head to the South of Portugal - from Peniche to Sagres you'll find amazing setups everywhere...

For either area, you'll get the most out of it if you have your own wheels.

For partying, maddogmorley sums it up nicely :D ...but if you do get down that way, Lisbon can be heaps of fun, plus they seem a little more tolerant of party drugs etc. if you're into that kinda thing...

gdh's picture
gdh's picture
gdh Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 8:23pm

The surf will be pumping over there that time of year, but it will be cold so don't go expecting any hot French chicks frolicking in the shoreys. I would take a 4/3, booties and a hood, especially if you plan to trek further north (think nor'west ireland and Scotland). I've spent a few long stints over there based in Anglet, Portugal was definitely a stand-out, but the French beachies can be epic and the southern Spain beachies (Cadiz is a good base) will turn it on over the cooler months. I've also heard of quality waves in the med, including Corsica, but I never scored it.
Carrying a double board bag on crowded trains and buses can be a nightmare and many surfers will be able to recount a time when they had to smuggle their boards on to a train or bus while the staff weren't looking. PSter is on the money re Lisbon, but in reality any travelling aussie surfer is in for a good time whether you're landlocked in Madrid for a couple of days or smashing it up in barca, London or Galway. Enjoy

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 9:00pm

cheers everyone, might leave the cold countries for snowboarding as i dont know if i will have saved enough money to buy a new wettie, booties gloves etc over there. anyone know how cold it gets in france and spain (water temps etc) might try and head to some warmer destinations i.e. canary islands, morocco (any other advice?). plan on doing it solo, and was wondering how easy and how to go about meandering my way south along the Moroccan coast, how cold the weather is that time of year, if its possible to do it on a budget etc. etc. much appreciated everyone

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Wednesday, 26 Jun 2013 at 11:06am

Morocco will definately be warmer than France or Spain that time of year. Still reckon you would need a steamer tho - maybe only a 3'2 rather than a 4'3.

I spent 6 weeks driving along that Moroccan coast from Tangir to Agadir. We didn't really see any other surfers bar the odd bloke here and there until we got to Agadir. There a heaps of places to surf along that stretch but without a car it will take you some time to get it organised as you will probably need to hire a taxi to get to the beach and pay for the guy to wait while you surf. They are cheap tho.

Another thing to note is the lack of places to buy spare leggies, fins etc until you get to Agadir so take some spare equipment.

Agadir is a bit of a surf mecca and that was the first place I saw any real surf infrastructure (ie resorts, shops etc). If you went straight to Agadir (Taghazout to be specific) then you would probably save yourself a bit of mucking around and it's one of the best surf zones in Morocco anyway.

Don't expect too much in the way of women or alcohol in Morocco - ever been to a nightclub with 200 blokes and 3 or 4 girls with no-one drinking alcohol? It's pretty funny. If you want to try some hash (super cheap) then the car parking attendants are always happy to help you out - you won't find much green tho. As a tip only carry enough to fit in your pocket - the cops won't worry about such a small amount.

Have fun - Morocco is a real eye opener. You've got to try the moroccan baths in Fez if you are passing through - like something out of a movie.

The Stormriders guide to Europe should help.

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Wednesday, 26 Jun 2013 at 8:39pm

cheers maddog, how did you go about organising a car? what was the surf like up near tangir, as i was thinking of heading straight to rabat and travelling through safi, essaouira, agadir etc all the way down to laayoune and jumping on a plane from there across to the canaries. what was it like finding places to stay? or did you just sleep in the car?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 27 Jun 2013 at 2:56pm

I was over in Europe for nearly a year so bought a van when I first landed in Germany. One of the guys I went with had a relative in Germany so we registered it under their name. We slept in the van the whole time so didn't need to find anywhere to stay. I also went through Safi and Essaouira and found some really epic surf. I've got a map kicking around somewhere at home marked up with all the places I surfed - will try to find it and will let you know a few spots to save you some time. We used the Stormriders guide to Europe initially but then spent a few weeks in Casablanca and some local guys marked up a heap of spots for me. I don't recall surfing up near Tangir - that place was hectic! We drove for a day south before we got our first surf.

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Monday, 1 Jul 2013 at 10:57pm

cheers maddog, did it seem like it would be easy to hire a car over in morocco? what do you reckon about the water in portugal at that time of year as well, definitely 4/3 weather ey?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Tuesday, 2 Jul 2013 at 9:07am

nothing seemed easy in Morocco so best to be as setup as you can before you get there....once you get out of the major cities it's mostly small owner operator shops - can't recall seeing anything resembling a supermarket let alone a car hire place.

would definitely take the 4/3 for Portugal.