How to make surf wax, organic and processed?

darty79's picture
darty79 started the topic in Monday, 24 Jun 2013 at 4:39pm

Surfers
Has anyone had a crack at making their own wax? I have the following formulas one for organic and one for normal;

Paraffin wax
Microcrystalline wax
Petroleum jelly
Adhesive (Vistanex)
Small amounts of scent and dye if you want a nice look / smell

Beeswax
Coconut oil
Tree resin (cool water wax only)

The problem is for the normal mix i cannot find any Vistanex, does anyone know a supplier or alternative?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming commented Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 at 7:31am

Interesting thread...don't know where to find Vistanex but know where to find a lot of coconut oil :)

dumpy's picture
dumpy's picture
dumpy commented Wednesday, 26 Jun 2013 at 8:39pm

a bit of googling turned up:
Vistanex LM and MM polymers are clean, light colored polymers with essentially no odor or taste.
Visit our web site at http://www.butylrubber.com for a complete product listing.

Make sure you have a read of the MSDS to understand how many rats the product kills before you get your hands covered in it.

actually that link was pretty crap, sorry. wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butyl_rubber
The bit about being used in small amounts as a fuel additive seems relevant...

try googling polyisobutylene and your nearest main city - i got 4 hits for suppliers.

may you give gluefoot airs a new meaning!

on usenet my friends .sig was "leave only footprints" but if you do that some one will follow.... :D

storminteractive's picture
storminteractive's picture
storminteractive commented Saturday, 28 Dec 2013 at 10:39am

Dumpy, should you ever find your way to reading this, I just got some vistenex for making surf wax but it came with no MSDS, can you point me in the right direction?

surfing-cronulla's picture
surfing-cronulla's picture
surfing-cronulla commented Sunday, 29 Dec 2013 at 7:52am
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart's picture
Roy Stuart commented Sunday, 19 Jan 2014 at 8:49am

We invented the coconut oil and beeswax recipes in 1994, and gave them to the surfing world... just saying.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum commented Friday, 26 Oct 2018 at 3:33pm

Secret recipe