Semi gun dimensions - scaling from your standard shorty

beakhunter's picture
beakhunter started the topic in Monday, 3 Jun 2013 at 9:40pm

Hi people.

Hoping someone can offer some insight.

Going to mentawais in late July on a boat trip.

I've just purchased a cheapish oldish semi gun off ebay. Gunther rohn 6'10 x 18 3/8 x 2 3/8. Plan shape here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/surfboard-Gunther-Rohn-Gun-Semi-Gun-6-10-x-18...

My shorties are about 6'2 x 19 ish x 2 3/8. Question is how to scale dimensions when going from shorty to semi gun.

Will the semi gun be too narrow? I get they are supposed to narrowish and pulled in at nose and tail but cuz it's prob shaped a while ago when shorty trend was wafer pin dick boards has this transferred into the semi gun or will it go good?

Worst part of my surfing is paddling and popping as I'm a bit sluggish.

I wanna use when double over head starts getting nudged. I wanna stroke in way early when the lumps are like fast moving trains. Above double overhead and a bit is beyond my limit. Intermediate surfer.

Will I even need a semi gun in ments? I got it to use not just for that but for east coast oz.

Also got it to Frankenstein a Brian connely inspired tail mount for some tube vision.

I know ideally I should talk to a shaper but it is not justifiable for me to get a custom semi gun that will not be used very often at all. I'd rather drop that coin on a groveller or shorty.

Did have a 6'5 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/8 semi gun but a snapped in Maldives. Thing was shaped for a bigger dude and generous with foam. Thing was so easy to surf and so much drive. Would something like that be better for a ments step up?

And I'm torn re taking malaria tabs on a boat trip?

Sorry for essay

Thanks

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Tuesday, 4 Jun 2013 at 4:33pm

Very very low chance of getting Malaria on a boat.....problem with all the different tabs is the side effects, if you're not on the land around dusk and dawn you should be pretty sweet. I took doxycyclin for 2 days on a boat trip up there and just got real photosensitive/burnt so ditched them.

Had similar dilema to you when I first went there. I normally ride something from 6'0 to 6'2 and at the time bought a 6'7 for the trip. Never got it out of the wrapper on the trip and didn't use it at all when I got back. I reckon a step up board - solid 6'4 - 6'6 round tail would do just fine. That way you have a better chance of using it on the bigger winter east coast days where you need / want that bit more paddle power.

Probably only really need a proper gun if you're keen on chasing down freight training 8 foot indo barrels

beakhunter's picture
beakhunter's picture
beakhunter Tuesday, 4 Jun 2013 at 6:10pm

Thanks staitey. You make some good points.