Boards for Samoa

wesley's picture
wesley started the topic in Friday, 31 May 2013 at 5:43pm

Hi all, off to Samoa in a fortnight to stay on the south coast of Upolu. Any of you guys been before who could give me a heads up as to which boards to take?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Friday, 31 May 2013 at 5:47pm

Definately take your shorty and I would recommend a step up board rather than a grovel board - that south coast cops a lot of swell. You'll have a ball - some epic waves around there in Coconuts, Boulders and Salani lefts and rights to mention a few.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Saturday, 1 Jun 2013 at 6:50pm

Where you staying Wesley? Should be a great trip.

wesley's picture
wesley's picture
wesley Saturday, 1 Jun 2013 at 7:40pm

Coconuts. Had decided not to go with anything over a 6'6". The closer it gets to going, the more I wonder if it is a wise choice.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Jun 2013 at 10:26am

At this time of year you'll be surfing almost exclusively on the South Coast, and that means you should be able to see the swells coming from a good week out. My advice would be to check the long range charts and make up your mind on which boards to take then. If you get a big swell and head to Boulders you'll need a longer board. Boulders can be a big, slopey, roll in out on the takeoff and you'll need the foam under you to get into them. As it moves down the point the wave gets steeper and hollower so you can surf shorter boards - a smaller step up board will suffice.

Big Coconuts is another wave that you'll also need a longer board on. Although a 6'6" should cover you for anything there.

If there's no action on the long range charts have a good think about whacking a shorter, wider board - maybe a quad - in the boardbag.