Any surf near Blitar East Java

harro27's picture
harro27 started the topic in Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 9:41am

My mate has a new house built in Lodoyo East Java which is very close to Blitar, Ive never been to that part of Indo before and was wondering (hoping) if any swellnetians have ventured around that area and know of any good breaks near by. I know G-Land is around 4.5 hours away but hoping to find something a bit closer as i'd want to be heading out almost daily. I'm planning of heading over for the month of September into October and any help would be awesome, cheers guys...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 3:30pm

Haven't heard of anything myself. Google Earth suggests a few possibilities but nothing like G'Land.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 4:08pm

Harro, Pacitan is close good waves there and cheap accommodation, gets heaps of swell and is still uncrowded, a very friendly indo surf scene lots of breaks in different winds.
The coast from Pacitan to G land is the last frontier.....loaded with magic setups.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 5:57pm

Real estate prices Udu?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 5:58pm

Udo

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 6:52pm

My two cents - Pacitan won't be uncrowded for very long, expect big changes in the next two years.

East Java is much like Central Java, sometimes good, often not. A lot of waiting for tides, winds and swell direction to align and all that time is spent waiting in fishing villages where you will be very very lucky to find anyone who speaks English. Unless you can handle waiting out sometimes up to five days without surfing in a village with nothing else to do I wouldn't bother.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 6:58pm

So you reckon buy now?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 7:00pm

Let's just keep it between just us hey.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 7:20pm

That area to the east is just hard work, as dandan said and makes Timmy Turner and bros surf trips look 5 star.
A surfer who is serious about his surfing and likes consistent quality.....yeh probably wouldn't bother going there
Pacitan is going mental now ......picture a Kuta in the mid 80s .......then the 90s growth.....then euros, brazzies and aussie bogans- a couple of years she be rooted - shame.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 7:26pm

No need to bogan bash mate, bogans were the best thing to come to Bali

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 7:57pm

uuuum mmm
Not sure about your type Shaun!
More so the bogans with suits on like Morris.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 10:58pm

It's something that took me a few years to learn doing the Indo thing, but the seriously great waves have already been discovered. There are plenty of brilliant waves out there still, but none of the G-Lands, the Ulus or the HTs; big, perfect, consistent and seasonally predictable. I still go out searching, but that is largely due to the work that I do and is not purely surf-motivated. Like udo said, a serious surfer is better off heading to G-Land for a few weeks to get their fix rather than spend three weeks trying to learn Javanese and eating sardines and nasi jagung in a malarial swamp - that kind of thing gets old pretty quickly when you aren't scoring amazing waves every day.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 29 Jun 2014 at 9:47am

Lucky for u harro theres a wave that is good in oct nov at grajagan rivermouth . Loves the incoming lo tide of spring time . Needs a med - large swell . Ive kept this secret for 7 yrs mate dont tell anyone

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 4:10pm

Funny theres even interest in Pacitian area, I went down there a few times about ten years ago when i was dating my wife, because its the closest waves to where her family lives, and found the waves very fickle and very average for Indo more just average beachies with the extremely odd river mouth or reef, i have to admit though back then i never knew about the left right bay combo as always headed east, but even that looks raw and far from perfection, it was totally uncrowded though never saw another western surfer, just a few young groms with broken boards one day, although i see on Facebook these days theres a bit of a local surf scene happening.

Never got as far east as Blitar though.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 4:41pm

You've already displaced the original Australians to erect your 6 bedroom 5 bathroom palace in Dubbo Shaun, a few more disappointed brown faces shouldn't slow you down , buy up big now.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 4:52pm

I'm onto it blowjob

It's wagga wagga not dubbo by the way.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 5:07pm

Whoa there Shaun, no one calls me Blowjob !!
Not since I quit working out of cubicle 3 of the men's toilets at Northbridge station anyway.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 6:33pm

Was that you? What a small world we live in. Those were the glory days ay blowhard.:-)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 6 Jul 2014 at 6:56pm

I knew I recognised you from somewhere . Glory days indeed ...most people knew me by the name Seven Eleven - because I was open 24 hours and it was $3 for a slurpy.
Paid my way through astronaut school though so I can't complain.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 20 Jul 2014 at 3:29am

There are a couple of waves actually an english teacher who lives in Surabaya told me about and i read about others on Jim Banks Odyssey tour journal. If you can dig that up its not hard to work out the locations.
I dont really agree with pointing out lesser known locations besides a clue or so though, but i agree with DanDanDan, unless you live there or go often if you only get a few week off a year to travel, spend it somewhere like g-land.
All the spots i refer to are very very fickle anyway.