Flying Jetstar to Bali surfboard size restictions

fatbelly's picture
fatbelly started the topic in Wednesday, 25 Jun 2014 at 11:12pm

Hi all , just wanting to know if any one has had issues flying with Jetstar ?
They have a new policy on the size of the board you can take

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 9:07am

What's the new policy? Seemed to be OK with a 7'4 boardbag last time I went. 

fatbelly's picture
fatbelly's picture
fatbelly Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 9:41am

The new policy that JETSTAR have is that if you fly on a A320 or A321 you board size cant exceed 6"4 if you are on a A330 its up to 7,6

Ive just got back from the airport were I dropped my brother in law of for his 4 week Indo trip , he couldn't take his 2 boards on he rides a 6.8 and 7.4 , his only option was to send it on a different carrier , {big bucks and more hassle} two things you don't want on your trip
He opted to leave them home and just buy one over there

Ive just recently booked with JETSTAR and paid for extra baggage allowance to cover my board , what a waist of money , I spent over a hour on the phone last night with JETSTAR and they told me the option I have is to upgrade and pay to get on a A330 , send it on a different plane or leave it home , all bad options
So just wanted to get it out there to all of you that go to Bali and ride a board any bigger than a 6.4 check what type of plane your on before you pay as JETSAR RUINED MY HOLIDAY PLANS

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 9:46am

^ Bastards.

gromfull's picture
gromfull's picture
gromfull Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 11:10am

This is not a new problem, i experienced the same problem five years ago, 7 2 board bag with a 6,8 and 6 4 inside, i was able to tape it down to the right size, and was allowed to put it on board, but at the risk of damages because it was slightly two big, arrived with out damage but then had the same problem coming home, again taped up again warned about damage, i think my 18 month old baby helped sway the jetstar nazis

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 11:16am

This isn't new. The trouble is you don't realise there is a restriction until after you get emailed the confirmation after you've paid. Common story, lots of people have been caught.
The 1.9 metre restriction only applies to short haul flights where Jetstar use the A320, mostly Perth Darwin and Brisbane I think.
I flew from Perth last year to Jakarta, found out about the restriction after I booked. 7 foot board. I just took my chances in Perth and they never even blinked, same coming home.
The story is...Jetstar's A320's use a cargo module (1.9 long) which is packed then loaded into the plane, but the cargo hold is big enough for boards to go around the module if they want. I saw mine get put on by hand after the module.
Where some people really get caught is flying on a bigger plane from say Sydney, but then Jetstar reschedule the return flight with a stopover somewhere and you end up on a A320 for the second leg.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 26 Jun 2014 at 1:25pm

Last time I booked Jetstar, I'm sure it mentioned the plane type when I booked. Or maybe it was another carrier via a different website (ie Expedia)?

atko's picture
atko's picture
atko Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 12:04am

Anyone had trouble leaving from Adelaide to Bali with board longer than 6' 4. I've booked with Jetstar and want to take a 6'10.

asharper001's picture
asharper001's picture
asharper001 Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 8:35am

They used to be 3 metres years ago (5+), then dropped it to 1.8 metres. I queried Jetstar at the time and was told that it was to fit bulky items in the bomb proof bins. Strangely, Virgin flew exactly the same aircraft and had no issue. I haven't flown with Jetstar for years now, not since the original restrictions down to 1.8 metres were put in place. It does seem however that things have changed again recently with the introduction of the Dreamliner. From their own site, check this link http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/planning-and-booking/baggage/bulky-items .

Quoted in full below:

Surfboards, snowboards and skis

Surfboards, skis and snowboards must be packed in a bag designed for that equipment.

Where possible, remove surfboard fins and store in an enclosed compartment in the bag or tape to the board.

Surfboards, (including the surfboard bag), must not exceed 1.9 metres for Jetstar flights operated by an A320, A321 or B737 aircraft, and 2.77 meters for Jetstar flights operated by an A330 or 787** aircraft.

Some Boeing 787 Dreamliner flights are subject to government and regulatory approval.

Atko, I had a quick look at Adelaide to Denpasar and looks like you are on an A320 direct flight or A320 to stopover then Dreamliner onwards. Either way, the A320 out of Adelaide restricts the board to 1.9 metres. How do you feel about driving to Melbourne?

barley's picture
barley's picture
barley Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 8:32am

we are going to the goldie in a couple of weeks and have the same issue..we were just going to risk it and see what happens...hopefuly you'll be allowed or have to pay a bit extra..or if worst thing happens have to leave them...just all will depend on the person at the counter I guess..The price ya pay for flying cheap!!

snakeman's picture
snakeman's picture
snakeman Friday, 4 Jul 2014 at 10:11am

I've had no problems with a 6"6" they just ask if it conforms with the size restrictions.

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 3:55pm

With Virgin not flying to Bali anymore. will have to fly JetStar...do they still have the size restrictions...anyone had any issues lately...appreciate any feedback.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 4:01pm

Not sure what the length limit is but I've had no problem up to 6'3 and think there's a lot of room above that. Just the weight limits.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 4:12pm

Virgin are still flying to Bali amb .

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 4:36pm
udo wrote:

Virgin are still flying to Bali amb .

sorry should of stated from SA..very soon

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 4:42pm

Adelaide ---Syd ---Denpasar ?

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 5:47pm
mk1 wrote:

Not sure what the length limit is but I've had no problem up to 6'3 and think there's a lot of room above that. Just the weight limits.

stated limit is 190cm (6'3") weight not a problem

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 5:49pm
udo wrote:

Adelaide ---Syd ---Denpasar ?

yeah direct from Adelaide is soon only JetStar & Tiger

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Tuesday, 8 Mar 2016 at 8:37pm

I had problems with Jetstar to the gold coast nothing over 190cm. Fine for me
but not for my 6ft 4in sons board. Got it on thou. Anyway no problem coming
home as he now had 2 boards 3ft 3in. 1st surf.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 9:35am

Anyone flown to Indo with Tiger recently from South Oz any probs with boards their saying in paperwork International up to 3m and 1.9 for Domestic any info would be unreal.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 10:21am

Shit they charge hard for excess baggage and add ons...extra leg room etc
buy your extra kgs with your ticket and not at check in .

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 10:33am

I've gone up to 25kg with them when I bought ticket just wondering about any hassle with length[its all about length]Depends on the forecast I would like to take 6'6 up to a 8'2 cheers Udo.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 10:35am

Any info on there website?

I'm going with air Asia soon and there limit is 277cm/9ft

It was pretty easy to find on there website

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 10:53am

I've just booked (ex Darwin) and depending on the plane size, but Jetstar A320 - 2.3M (7'5")

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/help/tags/oversized-baggage

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 11:10am

Looks like Jetstar have changed the max length for A320 flights. Good work fitzroy

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 11:42am

Fraser g whats the total cost of your return ticket including boards ?

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 12:26pm

$540 25kg each way.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 12:40pm

So $600 + with some food ,coffee and a couple of beers.

the chase's picture
the chase's picture
the chase Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 12:55pm

Getting hard to get a direct flight from brisbane to bali they all stop in sydney.

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 1:30pm

FG: I will NEVER fly Tiger again. They charge for everything - soon they'll charge you extra for air ("what, can't you hold your breath that long? well son, you'll have to pay for that") and the number of cretins/dropkicks/morons they have as passengers makes it a horrible trip.
And I used to be a supporter of Air Asia, but then started hearing stories of really dodgy practices. Remember their crash a year or so ago - untrained pilots, poor maintenance, etc. Recent stories on Four Corners, Foreign Correspondent, The Age, etc has made me think I'll pay extra for the better quality airlines (although only the top ones (eg Singapore Air) seem to be doing the right thing).

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 10 May 2016 at 1:44pm

Haha yeah maybe a Valium and a couple of beer's and point me to my seat approach I think.As long as I can get some decent equipment over I'll cop the pain.Gee one extreme to the other I flew Business class last year with Virgin for$700 haha

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:11am

what was virgin business like? for s few extra bucks thinking of ditching economy for good...

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:24am

I tend to fly Garuda these days. I'll pay a bit extra. Most recent example it wasn't going to be much cheaper through Jetstar and the hassle and crappy seats and service just make it not worth the effort. Although I think Garuda stopped flying out of Brisbane a year or two ago. Not sure about others.

Good seats, entertainment, 30kgs luggage, not sure about restrictions on length but 7'+ is not a problem, meals, good service and their planes are much more likely to take off. It would have to be quite a bit cheaper for me to go Jetstar or Virgin these days. Tiger, never.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:34am

Garuda actually give a extra 23kg sports allowance on top of you other checked baggage

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 5:05pm

I do like Garuda and Singapore airlines, so much better comfort wise and food and entertainment wise than all the budget airlines.(Air Asia, Jet Star, Virgin blue, Tiger)

I also like the vibe of having Malaysian or Indonesian hostess it makes you feel like you are already in Asia.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 5:24pm

And Garuda fly Medan to Gunungsitoli with no extra charges per board .

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Sunday, 18 Sep 2016 at 8:57pm

Had a 7'6 so jetstar can eat a dick...flew air asia felt like I was on the airline from 'soul plane'

UDO - Kingdom Hall set up shop in your neck of the woods