Getting four boards through

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon started the topic in Friday, 3 May 2013 at 12:22pm

Going to indo next week swells looking solid so theres a change of plans with the quiver need to get an extra one through if I can.All fit in one bag might try and pass one off as my sons board?if not whats the going rate on the pocket.

nleg5198's picture
nleg5198's picture
nleg5198 Friday, 3 May 2013 at 10:41pm

boards dont weigh that much..2-4kg a board. But some airlines have a maximum number of surfboards in a bag and charge u 100 for the extras as it can be a size of bag and not a weight problem. Also, get a pocket luggage weigher. Was gold when i went skiing o/s... skis weigh so much more than surfboards. But depends on your airline best talk to them. Also, make the most of your carry on luggage allowance!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 4 May 2013 at 1:53pm

Think Fraser is talking about more when he gets to customs in Indo as from memory there is technically a limit of 3 boards or something before you must pay extra?...Sorry i cant help i cant remember i never travel with more than 2 to 3 boards so never a problem.

Where you land also could make a difference, id assume arriving in most places in Indo would be no prob, but Bali maybe different as they try to sting you for everything and anything, like airport taxis, anywhere in Indo no problem i pay for the taxi no extras in Bali air port taxis have an official extra charge for bringing a board...what a scam.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Sunday, 5 May 2013 at 10:01am

Yeah just the customs seem to be the only problem.I think I might just flag it and take three can't be bothered being stuck in some customs office for an hour.cheers fellas

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Sunday, 5 May 2013 at 12:32pm

If you are really keen to just surf good waves in Bali, go straight up to the Bukit, find a place that suits your needs and say you'll stay for a month if they give you a good deal. When you are happy, go surf. Forget the costs. You can't put a price on a good wave at Uluwatu. Get up for the early, study the tides.. You'll score. It's likely you will get sucked away to do other things, and that's fine too.

Don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but in the mid-range places (300k ish a night) I've had my Indo mates charged more than a bule. Their reasoning was that Bules don't like sharing with Indos. Anyone else had this happen?

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Thursday, 30 May 2013 at 12:40pm

i always take 4 to indo. just tell indo customs you have 4. usually they are too lazy to check.
when flying domestic through indo ALWAYS lie about the number of boards you have as they charge per board.