How much is my maurice cole surfboard worth???

Zeldon's picture
Zeldon started the topic in Monday, 16 Jun 2014 at 9:23pm

I was at the local pub a few weeks ago and a passing by surfer ended up selling me one of his boards. I paid 100 for it... Its a 6"2 single fin orange wood grain Maurice cole rip curl surf board. Pretty good condition

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:41am

Got a photo?

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 11:01am

Zeldon, I would be holding on to any Maurice Cole Boards. I reckon be a collectors item in a few years. No offence to Brutus, hope you are well wherever you are. You aren't missing anything in Vicco this winter.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 11:09am

Spending a bit of time in SoCal now. How those philistines treating you Brutus?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 11:12am

...and just found out Maurice shares his name with this fella.

Hello Maurice Cole, child actor:

mauricecolefosterphotocallromefilmfest-1_9shrtma3l.jpg

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 2:02pm

a mate is trying to get rid of this Maurice Cole as we speak...any takers?

http://kwiva.com.au/product/136/collectors_dream_board_tom_currens_famou...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 2:32pm

$ 10,000 someone tell him he really is fucking dreaming !

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 2:47pm

Insane.
This MP board was a 99c auction, I think, and is up over $1000 with over 5 days left still.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121364351499?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 3:02pm

Hmm-- tarted up with a dark blue pigment resin coat and MPs sig ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 4:18pm

Why do child actors always run that same annoyingly twee bowlcut ?
Sorry about the digression people, $10,000 for a surfboard ? Better hope it doesn't delaminate during the three decades it takes to appreciate beyond that price.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 4:30pm
udo wrote:

Hmm-- tarted up with a dark blue pigment resin coat and MPs sig ?

People are nuts, that's for sure.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 5:00pm
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

a mate is trying to get rid of this Maurice Cole as we speak...any takers?

It should've mentioned that this was the board that Curren famously rode from the Margs peak all the way to the rivermouth in that particular comp. Not many 'foreigners' have pulled that off, let alone in a comp! Not that many period under any circumstances, come to think about it! 10k though?!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 5:06pm

What about that photo taken from the channel of Curren taking off on that monster set during the comp. Incredible stuff . On the $10000 board too.

If he'd known what it would be worth now , I doubt he would have ridden it. But then it wouldn't have been worth the $10000 .
Oh the paradox of time travel , I'm starting to understand how Doc and Marty felt.

Zeldon's picture
Zeldon's picture
Zeldon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 5:19pm

Maurice cole on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1049470368 this is my board! Im not selling it just put it on here so you can see it

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 5:47pm

If that's the $100 dollar surfboard it was a good buy ......you bought it from a guy in a pub? Front bar goods at bargain prices = not always legit ?

Zeldon's picture
Zeldon's picture
Zeldon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 5:55pm

He needed money for pokies, didnt want his wife to see it on bank statement haha. So what is its real value??

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:01pm

from me.....$200 deposit into your acc a.s.a.p.
But at least half the price of a new one I would think .

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:24pm

wow...even I am interested in the old single.......what sticker did it have on it......the Lotus ??

as for the bd Tom Surfed at Margaret river....get a hold of Bugsy in California who would buy that board in a flash...as there are not many bds around..truth being I surfed a lot more than I surfed.....

that's no child actor..thats my disguise in SoCal......hehehe

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:32pm

Brutus check the gumtree link, a new old single fin by the pics.

Zeldon's picture
Zeldon's picture
Zeldon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:37pm

Im happy to picture message the board to anyone that wants to suss it/ interested in it

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:46pm

Why not put the piccies up here ? you deleted the gumtree ad, picture messaging......means posting a ph number up here.

Zeldon's picture
Zeldon's picture
Zeldon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:47pm

How do i post pics?

Zeldon's picture
Zeldon's picture
Zeldon Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:48pm

I had like 10 calls in 5 mins had to delete ad

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 6:56pm

search function - post pics

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 9:25pm

thanx Udo...the gumtree add shows it was a bd made inn Thailand...a copy of an old single from back in the 70's.....

its worth a bit more than a $100.....but not an original.....

but the red and yellow Curren bd ...now that's a real story and a real board......one I shaped for Tom about 23 years ago,just sold at Auction in the U S for $3500.....

hey on a funny note ,when everyone found out I had cancer....people started ordering bds from everywhere..hahaha.....still here for awhile yet

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 9:38pm

What makes it worth ten g ? I saw curren ride that board into rivermouth & then it was in local surfshop beachlife for a while for sale for a reasonable price

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Tuesday, 17 Jun 2014 at 10:02pm

actually I think Tom still owes me for that bd.......so I might have to claim it,am seeing him next week....its not worth $10 K

in the USa probably about 2-3K

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Wednesday, 18 Jun 2014 at 5:40pm

I run the site KWIVA which currently lists Curren's board shaped by Maurice Cole for sale http://kwiva.com.au/product/136/collectors_dream_board_tom_currens_famou...
The owner was not sure on the price of this board so we decided to list at 10k-ono. The board is a one of a kind with a famous back story and in original cond. Any Curren fan which includes the entire surfing world would be honoured to have this board, that is if you can afford it.
Ps Caml- you should have bought the board back in the day.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Jun 2014 at 12:30pm

Recently I've spoken to a few people about the second-hand board market and by all reports it ain't what it was a few years ago. I've heard stories of boards not reaching half the price they were bought for even a couple of years ago, and no-one can really say why. The vagaries of the free market? Who knows? But if old mate with the Curren gun didn't need the sale it might be prudent to hold onto it and wait.

And Brutus, you oughta 'develop' another tumor to, you know, pay off the renovations or something.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 18 Jun 2014 at 12:41pm
stunet wrote:

And Brutus, you oughta 'develop' another tumor to, you know, pay off the renovations or something.

Stu......!
I'm sure the tumor wouldn't have a chance now:) Touch wood, or touch and shape surfboards...?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 18 Jun 2014 at 1:25pm

Genuine offer of $2k from me for the Cole/Curran board.

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Wednesday, 18 Jun 2014 at 5:47pm
udo wrote:

Genuine offer of $2k from me for the Cole/Curran board.

UDO-Make your offer to the seller on KWIVA. Good luck!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 6:18pm

Kwiva facebook June 17th Gives price guide of $5000 +
to much for me.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 20 Jun 2014 at 8:05pm

Hey Horlo, I'm keen as for that board of Curren's but I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment .
Luckily I've also got a couple of items floating around the place that have a bit of attached historical significance .
So what do you reckon about a straight swap - your board for the hanky that Hugh Grant blew into after being sucked off by Divine Brown . Deal ?

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 10:03am
Blowin wrote:

Hey Horlo, I'm keen as for that board of Curren's but I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment .
Luckily I've also got a couple of items floating around the place that have a bit of attached historical significance .
So what do you reckon about a straight swap - your board for the hanky that Hugh Grant blew into after being sucked off by Divine Brown . Deal ?

Sounds good Blowin but the board is not mine to sell/swap. Very funny tho!

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 10:24am
udo wrote:

Kwiva facebook June 17th Gives price guide of $5000 +
to much for me.

The owner of this board has had it since 1990 and is obviously not desperate to sell. He just wanted to see if their was anyone willing to pay good money to for it. He has indicated that he may loan the board to the Surf Museum at Torquay for display.
I guess the board is like fine art and is worth what someone is willing to pay.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 21 Jun 2014 at 11:00am

Good man Jas if you loan it to the surf museum for display..... and good exposure.

winkie's picture
winkie's picture
winkie Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 8:12am

I am trying to find the history of an old board i have. early sixties old malibu made by Castalloy products in
Adelaide.Its a surfari shark model. i have rung around but no leads .Am sort of interested in selling it but more interested in its history.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 8:19am

There's two entries for Castalloy on this page Winkie.

http://www.surfresearch.com.au/ms.html

Anyone from SA got further info?

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 8:52am

Winkie, weasels site 100% surf has some info on castalloy surfboards.

winkie's picture
winkie's picture
winkie Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 8:51am

Hey thanks, that gives me something to work on. Castalloy had no memory of them from 50 years ago, i rang Don Burford ,he was a bit unsure, i have had the board for 30 years,probably should have done something sooner! Thanks.

sideslipper's picture
sideslipper's picture
sideslipper Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 1:21pm

From memory, the castalloy 'south coaster ' was a very short -lived pop out of the v early 60s trying to cash in on the new surf craze (lay-by from a department store was the hook)

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 2:03pm

Yeah, there's all the adds and stuff zinger... or should I say 'champ'. We all know thats you in that add, and you just wanted to get your picture up.

Incidently, yours was shaped by Botts uncle, he never surfed, couldn't swim, but was a fitter and turner from Gawler.

So much for epoxy being a 'breakthrough'.

http://100percentsurf.com.au/SURF/SURF_HISTORY_SOUTH_AUSTRALIA/SOUTH_COA...

Must be rare though, worth heaps.

sir ambrose bea... Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 2:20pm

Winkie, post some pics of the south coaster.
Seddie over at sceales would know of these boards.

winkie's picture
winkie's picture
winkie Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 8:51pm

Yeah i have seen the south coaster ads, but this is a different model. The decal says Surfari Shark,thats where i keep hitting a dead end. Even the board looks different. I reckon someone like weasels old man
or someone from that era might know. anyway will post a pic in the next day or so.

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Sunday, 22 Jun 2014 at 9:34pm

Yeah MP on eBay went for $2550 actually have one in better condition( as original) that was one of his own boards can Authenticate it and has been initialled on the stringer in pencil

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 27 Jun 2014 at 4:39pm

Horlo, to surf the Cole/Curran 7'9 at bullies yesterday would have been fun !

horlo's picture
horlo's picture
horlo Friday, 27 Jun 2014 at 7:06pm

I would have caught more waves! Yes it would have been fun on Curren's- Cole, but it is a real gun of the 90's, very sleek.
I was riding a new 7'0" Hand Shaped by Rod "Weasel" Bedford- 100% Surfboards.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 5:55pm

My 6"9 has more litres than currens7"9 gun

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 28 Jun 2014 at 5:57pm

Meaning its not a gun at all

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 25 Oct 2014 at 11:37am

The Curran 7'9 may have sold for 10k if it was listed in Richard Hadlees auction .