WA Swell Catchers

pster's picture
pster started the topic in Monday, 4 Feb 2013 at 9:31pm

Hi all,

I have just moved from NSW to WA for work, but sadly home is now going to be about 40mins north of Perth... which I have only just discovered, receives about 1% if the available southwest swell! (Friday forecast at around 5ft at Margs, but under 1ft in Perth!)

I will be doing my best to get down to Margs, but with it being an 8hr round trip, I don't think I'll be getting there as often as I need, to keep myself sane.

So heres the question - how far north of Perth do I need to travel, before I start seeing some of the swell from the south?

I don't want secret spots or even specific breaks, I am just an idea of where I should focus my search :) - so far I have only had a chance to get to Joodalup (sort of my local now I guess) and what I found wasn't very inspiring :(

Any guidance is appreciated!

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 4 Feb 2013 at 10:06pm

WA's a BIG State .

GET used to long drives . True SSW swell only finds the shoreline nearing Gero .

Alternatively , get a boat .........

Or wait for Rogue WSW - WNW swells !

malibumick's picture
malibumick's picture
malibumick Monday, 4 Feb 2013 at 10:12pm

pster, there are secret spots that only 20,000 people know about north of Perth. Just follow the surf wagons. You'll definately need a good 4wd that can handle sand and know how to drive on sand and get out of a bog. The beaches north of lancelin up to an island that starts with the same letter as wanker pick up a bit of swell when Perth is flat in summer. Winter is a different story. Just be a nice bloke in the water and nobody will go crook on me for letting you in on the secret.

kellyslater's picture
kellyslater's picture
kellyslater Wednesday, 6 Feb 2013 at 1:11pm

Yeah good one, Malibu mick, go and tell the new bloke to paddle out where the bloke got eaten by that huge shark last year

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Thursday, 7 Feb 2013 at 12:49am

Rottnest.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 7 Feb 2013 at 5:42pm

Best in unfriendly boating conditions . But still over rated .

pster's picture
pster's picture
pster Sunday, 10 Feb 2013 at 1:47pm

Thanks for the advice guys! I promise I'll be mellow in the water - I hate hassling for waves. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of driving though.

And yeah, thanks for mentioning the sharks.... I wasn't already freaking out about the reality of it over here :S