Surfing Australia magazine

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Friday, 18 Jan 2013 at 1:49pm

I've recently read a few articles and also Twitter commentary about the financial state of Surfing Australia. Apparently they've got their act together and hooked up with big sponsors and also plugged themselves into the Government money drip. Times are rosy over at Surfing Australia HQ under the tutelage of CEO Andrew Stark. This was made even more evident to me with todays delivery of the quarterly Surfing Australia magazine - Surfing Australia News.

Usually it's just a bog standard collection of advertorial and industry happenings whacked together by Year 12-level graphic designers. This issue, however, they've really stepped it up with feature stories and articles of interest. Inside is a comprehensive (approx 5,000 word) article on the ZoSea deal written by Phil Jarratt. Jarratt also contributes two other stories, one on Indigenous champ, Russ Molony and the other on rising Victorian champ, Nikki van Dijk.

Another historical article is by Rabbit Bartholemew reflecting on the path of surf competition in Australia. There's also stories on Parko's title win, Australia's four world title wins in 2012, and understanding pro surf judging. There's also the straight pocket-pissing advertorial but compared to the parlous state of surf magazines this issue is miles above in terms of content and it's free.

I don't even know how you get hold of the mag, it just gets sent to us, but if you can wrangle a copy it'd be worth your while.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 21 Jan 2013 at 4:26pm

You can read the magazine online here

Phil's ZoSea article begins on pg. 58, the article on Russ Molony on pg. 78.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 22 Jan 2013 at 1:27pm

The page doesn't open on the iPad may be an Adobe issue.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 22 Jan 2013 at 2:56pm

Funny, I just tried it on Chrome - I usually browse with Safari - and it didn't open. Perhaps try Safari if you aren't already?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 22 Jan 2013 at 3:24pm

Ahhh, on an iPad! The online version of Surfing Australia's mag is Flash based. Apple's proprietary technology doesn't support Flash.