John John + Hurley = Who Cares?

top-to-bottom-bells's picture
top-to-bottom-bells started the topic in Wednesday, 9 Jan 2013 at 10:13am

So the surfing world has collectively wet itself over the signing of John John Florence to Hurley. It's all across the websites and comments and no doubt it'll be all over next issues magazines (how many covers, anyone care to guess?).

My take on it is, who friggen cares!

Why is it even an issue? After a few years of industry disillusionment you'd think surfers would wise up to company involvement, but no, the same kid is doing the same surfing he was a month ago but as he has a new sticker on his board everything is supposed to have changed.

Companies putting themselves at the centre of surfing, surfers lapping it up: same as it ever was.

surfstarved's picture
surfstarved's picture
surfstarved Friday, 11 Jan 2013 at 10:34am

Couldn't agree more ttbb. I have nothing but admiration for JJF's surfing and he seems like a decent, reasonably humble young fella. But honestly, couldn't give a fuck whose stickers are on his boards.

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Friday, 11 Jan 2013 at 1:22pm

You obviously cared enough to start a thread....
Why wouldn't Hurley make a big deal out of it? They are forking out skins to show case his surfing with a H stuck on his boardies and board.
They would be annoyed at their marketing team if it didn't go everywhere and have guys like your self commenting on it.

top-to-bottom-bells Friday, 11 Jan 2013 at 4:59pm

You've got the wrong end of the stick Reecen. Of course Hurley care and want to tell everyone - they paid top dollar for his signature and want ROI. The question is, why do they think ordinary surfers care? Why are magazines and websites telling us as if it's news that matters? Isn't his surfing more important than the sticker on his board?

reecen's picture
reecen's picture
reecen Friday, 11 Jan 2013 at 7:34pm

You click on the home page of this website and there is a thread titled John John + Hurley. Obviously someone cared enough to watch the vid they put out, then comment that they don't care.
Blah blah blah I don't want to be part of the surf industry man, but for some reason I am attracted to it like a mosquito to a bug zapper.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 21 Jan 2013 at 8:27pm

You guys are so dumb. If John John is wearing Hurley boardies and sunnies dont you think they are the clothes to buy if you want to surf pipe at 12 ft and do laybacks and air reverses and have the pipe crew think you might actually be John John! anyways you guys are really dumb.

j-dog's picture
j-dog's picture
j-dog Wednesday, 30 Jan 2013 at 10:20pm

I'm more interested in John John's Mom,

pg03's picture
pg03's picture
pg03 Thursday, 31 Jan 2013 at 1:51pm

He should've signed with Rip Curl, they have easily the best team of riders on the ASP Tour.